emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 08:52 AM
Bad Dogs Diary by Martin Howard
One Dog at a time by pen farthing
Twenty Wagging Tales by Barrie Hawkins
Rescue me by Melissa Wareham

Those are just a few I work in a library so am always picking up any dog books i see
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
The one about Endal was very moving.

Don't like anything with a sad ending like "Devon-a good dog" where the dog gets put to sleep at the end of the story for aggression.
Devon gets put to sleep when was that? I read Rescuing Devon and I dont remember him getting pts at the end of that, is A Good Dog a different book? I wanted to read his other book about Orson but apparently he gives him away?

I hate it when books end with the dogs dying, like Marley and Me. And I can't help by think what wallies some of these owners are, a lot of the adventures of Marley, George (life with George) etc are due to inexperienced dog owners not training their dogs. I dunno, maybe I'm getting grumpy but I haven't read a dog book in a while because they either make me sad or angry!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Just realised I'm being thick - he renamed Devon as Orson at the end of the book doesn't he? Read it ages ago, I forgot and got confused. So he had Devon/Orson pts in the end? So sad then which dog dies he give away? Rose?
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Oh thought of another couple - From Baghdad, with Love and big red
Luckypirate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-08-2010, 09:49 AM
'101 Dalmations' I've read more times than I can count, I refuse to read Marley and Me, because it'll be way too sad!

I also liked 'A dog called Perth' which is about a beagle and 'The Last Family in England' is one of my favourite books of all time, but ends very sadly I liked that one because ti was from the dogs perspective.
'Born to run' is another favourite as I've always been a little in love with racing greyhounds.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 09:56 AM
I brought my OH 'A dog called Perth' because he loves beagles. Didnt she live to like 25 or something?
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
It was fictional, but the book 'The Art of Racing in the Rain' had me in tears, I read the book in my lunch hours at work and looked a right plum as tears rolled down my face as I read it, but it was a good book...
Also liked Endal, My Life with George, Walking Ollie and Along Came Dylan...
I know the writer of "Along came Dylan" and "Walking Ollie"-he lives in Norwich and we have met him a few times on our walks. personally I didn't like the books-he used the same behaviourist that was so helpful to me with Cherry and didn't rate him very much (probably because he didn't do what was reccomended). Didn't he end up having the dog put to sleep?

Also didn't like his comments about Jaspar-he thought this dog's behaviour was funny yet it had bitten at least 2 other dogs and knocked an older lady over and tried ot have a go at Cherry. He only keeps it under control now cos I threatened to have the dog warden after him if I saw it off-lead and unmuzzled again. Don't think this kind of behaviour amusing but he obviously does.
Luckypirate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
I brought my OH 'A dog called Perth' because he loves beagles. Didnt she live to like 25 or something?
Yeah, some insane age like that, and it was surprising considering all she went through...
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2010, 07:35 AM
I love the ones by Joyce Stranger, Two's Company, Three's A Pack (there's another and cannot remember the title as I read them years ago) Excellent books written about her life with her Golden Retriever and GSD's. She is a truly gifted writer and her books are hugely enjoyable.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2010, 07:38 AM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
I like a lot of Joyce Strangers books esp dont count apples i think it was with GSD's in it. Adore jack londons stuff, Walking Ollie and Along Came Dylan are both great, 101 Dalmatians and Incredible Journey are to other faves from when i was little.
Didn't read your post before putting mine on - that was it! Called Never Count Apples, I knew there was a third!!

She also wrote a funny one about her Siamese cat, but again cannot remember the name of it!
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >