Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pirateprincess
New Member!
Female 

12-10-2009, 06:17 PM

Help my dogs keep fighting!

Hey,
I have two springer spaniels, one bitch aged 3 years with mental health problems and a 5 month old dog.
Ive had the dog a few weeks and they seemed to be getting on ok.
Now all of a sudden they have started to fight.

It starts by him jumping on her back (which she obviously dosnt like) and then she snaps and growls and he does the same and they start having a huge fight in my living room, I prize them apart and then it happens again and again.
I have tried my best to stop the puppy from jumping but he just wont listen.
Im at my wits end, my husband thinks the only option is to get rid of the puppy, I dont want this to happen, please please help!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2009, 06:28 PM
What do you mean - your bitch has mental health problems?
pirateprincess
New Member!
Female 

12-10-2009, 07:03 PM
She is very frightened of ALL people except for obviously us.
Last year she went missing up the mountain for 8 days we went through hell trying to find her, it has affected her deeply.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by pirateprincess View Post
She is very frightened of ALL people except for obviously us.
Last year she went missing up the mountain for 8 days we went through hell trying to find her, it has affected her deeply.
Then with respect, it may not have been the right time to bring a young boisterous pup into your home.

If she is feeling overwhelmed by the pup , and he is not picking up on her message to "leave him alone" then you need to intervene.

Do you have a crate for the pup, this way you can give her a little peace away from him.

I think you may need to seek professional help to give you first hand advice on this.

Good luck, and I hope you dont have to rehome the pup.

Were did you get him from, have you spoken to his breeder , to put them in the picture .
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Where is middle earth? It would be helpful to know so a behaviourist might be recommended.

It won't be doing the pup any good to be learning to fight like this. Does he meet with other nicer dogs at all? If not you could end up with another problem.

You need someone to come and look at your situation and help you.

rune
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Middle earth and lost up a mountain.

it has to be old stomping ground, Aotearoa, land of the long white cloud

yes, one does have to ask why get another dog if you existing one is troubled?

do you have any management routines in place, such as stair-gates, not leaving them alone together, indoor crates, etc?
bingowings
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-10-2009, 10:30 PM
I agree with the above. The other important thing to keep in mind is that your puppy's aggression might become a learned behaviour with other dogs.
bingowings
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-10-2009, 03:27 PM
So many of you folk with this type of problem highlighted on this forum are women.

Most of the problems are caused by your inability to convey to the dogs that you are in charge and they must live within your rules.

This can be done with love and respect, but it must be done.

If you lead properly such incidents will not occur.
I cracked up when I saw this! . I wonder how many of us have the OH in the back ground saying "yeh, and could you also add that we have a problem with ....... behaviour"
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2009, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Boxer Boy View Post
Where do you get such silly ideas from. Probably the same source as another post I was reading earlier saying, don't let your dog watch whilst you are eating.

To be serious this forum has an absolutely enormous number of posts relating to the difficulties you girls have with your dogs and other dog owners.

What is the common denominator......... "You Girls"

Leadership is essentially an innate quality, rarely possessed by the fair sex, some would say.
Go awaaaaaaay you miserable old man troll. If a forum 'full of women' bothers you so much, bog off and crawl back under the bridge you came from.

Pesky troll.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2009, 04:49 AM
To the original poster (who has had her serious post taken over by a troll) silly question but are you sure they are fighting? the reason I ask is because some peeps do confuse play fighting with fighting, I've known it happen a few times

If it is real fighting then the first thing to do is separate them, via childgates etc and possibly even consider giving pup back to breeder if this is possible.

Good reputable trainers/behaviourists belong to:

www.apdt.co.uk
www.apbc.org.uk

don't be afraid to ask for help/advice, check out the sites. Don't go for just anyone in the yellow pages, as they may not be very good.

Wys
x
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >