Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ajshep1984
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-04-2009, 10:47 PM

Hipscoring, hypothetical situation...

Just interested in getting some opinions, not even sure why this popped into my head!

Say you bred a dog and bitch together, both good hip scores well below the BMS, you kept a puppy back with the hope of breeding from her and hip scored that puppy when she was old enough, the score was higher than the parents but still below the BMS, would you still breed from her or would you consider that a backward step? (Presuming everything else made her suitable for breeding.)
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2009, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by ajshep1984 View Post
Just interested in getting some opinions, not even sure why this popped into my head!

Say you bred a dog and bitch together, both good hip scores well below the BMS, you kept a puppy back with the hope of breeding from her and hip scored that puppy when she was old enough, the score was higher than the parents but still below the BMS, would you still breed from her or would you consider that a backward step? (Presuming everything else made her suitable for breeding.)
Hmmm, higher than the parents but lower than the BMS? Yes I think I would breed her, but only with a stud dog with a lower score and a history of producing offspring with low scores.

I sometimes think people become too fixated on one thing, you'll never have the perfect dog, you've got to look at what you've got and decide if it's in the breeds best interests to add to it's number, imo.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2009, 08:52 AM
The dog needs to be viewed as a whole. As Rips said it can be detrimental to become fixated on just one aspect of a dog. You could select solely for good hips and lose breed type, or end up with bad fronts, or poor mouths, the list could be endless.
Assess the dog as a whole before deciding on whether to use for breeding and select the best possible mate for her which excells in the aspects you want to improve.
Becky
AlannaJohan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-04-2009, 03:59 PM
I agree with Rips and Becky in that I think when deciding whether or not a dog is viable to be bred from you have to weigh up that which it adds to the breed and that where it may potentially detract.
From an ethical point of view, I don't see there being a problem with breeding from a dog whose hipscore is higher than its parents but are still below BMS if it has other attributes / characteristics that make it worth adding to the gene pool and you can find a mate who matches it well. If, however, it seems substandard to its parents in other ways, than in theory you would be better just breeding from one or both its parents again. In my theoretical opinion, anyway.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Im with Rips and Becky as well. Any animal below the bma is ok to breed from. I made sure I used a dog with good hips, as well.
To be honest I'm waiting to have Lexies hips done, had Libbys and she was 5/5 her dad was 6/7 so Im pleased just hope Lexies ok.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 12:14 PM
with the considerations stated above, yes!!!!