View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2009, 08:14 AM
I think it should be based on the individual dog... My Great Dane is brindle, but very gentle... I have a rat and 2 parrots... he's never tried to hurt any of them... Also, he's just learning to find my keys for me... He's 10 months old and very boisterous.. I have heaps of bruises... but, he's NOT dangerous...

I don't think you can go by size... The most aggressive dog I've ever met was a chihuahua... The only dog who ever bit me was a mini poodle...

Suppose that's why I like BIG dogs...
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-04-2009, 08:34 AM
That sounds surprisingly like something I once read on a German BSL site.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 08:39 AM
Yes, it does sound like a hoax.
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2009, 09:29 AM
I thought April fool too.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 09:38 AM
I thought that the point made is that it DOES say in the Dangerous Dogs Act that any dog deemed of type can be seized and its up to the owners to prove that its not of pit bull type.

this is the actual description on the dda of what they deem a Pit bull type to be:

Description of the main characteristics of the Pit Bull Terrier type
General Description
Muscular smooth-haired dogs
Looks powerful
Athletic, but not very slim
Heavy built
Chest and hindquarters slim by comparison
Has a rectangular profile
Height (Shoulders) 35-50 cm.
Head
Rectangular, box-shaped, heavy in comparison to body
Broad jawbones
Brood skull
Strongly developed nostrils
Remarkably broad
Facial zone under eyes
Strongly developed cheek and jaw muscles.
Muzzle
Not pointed.
Ears
Located high on skull
Tips of ears flop forward or sideways or have been docked
No wrinkles.
Eyes
Round, deep-set, rather small
Set well apart from each other (big gap between).
Neck
Muscular all the way up to skull
Short
Chest
Deep
Ribs strongly curved. Towards the abdomen they tend to
Converge and become narrower
Broad.
Back
Muscular
Short
Legs
Front legs are straight and give a massive, solid
Impression
Hips are long and broad and continue on to become
Relatively long hind legs.
Coat
Short haired.
Tail
Located low down in hindquarters
Thin
Rather short in comparison to body
Narrows to a slender tip or has been docked.
now reading that it could cover many types of dogs and certainly hundreds of crosses. Thats why its scary as if they chose to they could seize many many dogs and the outcome would be that as the OWNER you would have to prove it wasnt a pit bull type,,,,, so how do you do that if you got them from a rescue centre or have no papers?

Even if its a hoax as you put it the DDA does have some very worrying wording with regard to amendments and what can be seized. the way the world is going presently and the media's love of sensationalist reporting of dog bites, then I wouldnt be surprised if this act gets amended !!!

i cant put the link to original article as it contains forums, but if you google the title and dog magazine it will come up.
feroxsbts
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Not an April fool it is an article printed on dogmagazine.net. I tried to post the link but the forum wont let me for some reason.

It isn't in the current DDA but it a bill that some are trying to push for. It would affect ALL dog not just certain breeds or types.

I highly doubt it will happen as there would be public outcry but it is scarey to think what some feel should happen.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 12:25 PM
ONly one province in Canada has BSL, it's really sad cuz it effects all Pit bull's, American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Terriers, and any thing deemed to look like one of these breeds. breed bans are ridiculous and wont keep anyone safe, all it does is kill dogs. I would have a Pit in a heartbeat if I wasn't seriously allergic to short haired dogs. a deaf Pit at that! they can be such wonderful dogs I remember a few years ago when it was Dobies and rotts with the bad rap... everyone would cross the street to avoid then and people wanted them banned. Cocker spaniels have a higher rate of bite incidence than Pit bulls..... we haven't banned them!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by feroxsbts View Post
Not an April fool it is an article printed on [sys edit: contains dog forums]. I tried to post the link but the forum wont let me for some reason.

It isn't in the current DDA but it a bill that some are trying to push for. It would affect ALL dog not just certain breeds or types.

I highly doubt it will happen as there would be public outcry but it is scarey to think what some feel should happen.
Who is pushing for it? The reason I ask is that I recently nearly fell for a `New dog Law in Scotland will ban dogs off lead everywhere` post. Scare-mongering really doesn`t help your cause (which I do support).
Instead of stuff like this , why not campaign against the real effects of present anti-dog laws - like bans on pets in council accomodation, leash laws in Manchester etc.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
I thought that the point made is that it DOES say in the Dangerous Dogs Act that any dog deemed of type can be seized and its up to the owners to prove that its not of pit bull type.

this is the actual description on the dda of what they deem a Pit bull type to be:

now reading that it could cover many types of dogs and certainly hundreds of crosses. Thats why its scary as if they chose to they could seize many many dogs and the outcome would be that as the OWNER you would have to prove it wasnt a pit bull type,,,,, so how do you do that if you got them from a rescue centre or have no papers?

Even if its a hoax as you put it the DDA does have some very worrying wording with regard to amendments and what can be seized. the way the world is going presently and the media's love of sensationalist reporting of dog bites, then I wouldnt be surprised if this act gets amended !!!

i cant put the link to original article as it contains forums, but if you google the title and dog magazine it will come up.
Agree
I also thought the article was good,it makes a very good point.

Two legal breeds that are crossed can produce an illegal type dog, and lets face it there will always be crossbreeds.

I'm sure those who get caught up in this disgusting legislation don't think it's scaremongering,I certainly don't BSL is active and a very real threat to those who own crossbreeds / breeds of a certain look.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

11-04-2009, 01:58 PM
It's not April Fool. It's not a new bill. The author is using dramatic style to illustrate this point:

Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
To Valandra and Jesterjenn - That's what sec. One, DDA is all about. Looks. Every dog seized under sec 1, DDA is seized because of how it looks - nothing more.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >