Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-07-2012, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I home check for two rescue organisations and I would never veto a home that had a kennel.

Many of my friends have their dogs in kennels part time eg when they are out working, they are not loved or cared for any less than those who have no kennels.

I would have kennels myself if I did not live on a corner.
I don't think anyone on this thread is against kennelled dogs, well at least I don't, the problem some folk have is the "chained" part .

As its been stated the dog is used as a guard dog, I suspect as you suggested, it may be its on the end of a chain, to give off the right impression.

A dog behind a secure run is less of a threatening sight to on on the end of a chain.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I don't think anyone on this thread is against kennelled dogs, well at least I don't, the problem some folk have is the "chained" part .

As its been stated the dog is used as a guard dog, I suspect as you suggested, it may be its on the end of a chain, to give off the right impression.

A dog behind a secure run is less of a threatening sight to on on the end of a chain.
How many times do I have I says he used the term guard loosley and maybe I should of put watch instead of guard?She doesn't guard and attack passers by! You're makin her doing like a viscous aggressive animal when she isn't.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 04:55 PM
TBF those of us who deal with the law, make a clear distinction between Guard Dogs (as per the Guard Dogs Act 1975) and the need to abide by that legislation and what others call "watch dogs".

It may appear to be pedantic but personally I want to always emphasise the difference between the two so that those who claim their dogs are "guards" understand precisely their statutory duties.

It is a bit like your original post, where you did not mention that the dog in question spent the vast majority of its waking hours out and about with its owner, which thus coloured the responses you received.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

07-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
How many times do I have I says he used the term guard loosley and maybe I should of put watch instead of guard?She doesn't guard and attack passers by! You're makin her doing like a viscous aggressive animal when she isn't.
Don't be ridiculous , I am not making the dog out to be anything.

You posted that the dog is seem by the family as a guard dog, kept chained.

my friend has a rottweiler who has always lived outside. they have a farm, and the rottweiler is seen as a guard dog
If you wish to change your mind and use other terms for her after its been picked up , that's up to you.

You said she is a guard dog, don't go getting all shirty because you've changed your mind.

P.s. if you don't want me responding and feeling ganged up on then why not put me on ignore, or, don't respond to a post that was not aimed to you.

Pl
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Sorry, but I think that`s a pile of poo. Even if she is your mate.
How many years has that dog been chained up then?
There`s a movement in the US to stop this practice - I`m sad you are trying to defend it.
The dog`s a cheap substitute for an alarm system.
It isn't a pet dog certainly.

With the best will in the world they won't spend much time with it especially if it is rainy or cold. Might be a bit more in nice conditions. Not sure they'd spend much time with it in the dark either.

I can undestand kennels for dogs who are left when owners are working and I can understand working dogs---but can't understand why you'd call a dog a pet dog and do that to it.

Loved the chocolate teapot comment

rune
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Funny how every one is now saying they bet the people are not out as much in cold/rain/hot weather. Well if they are running and working the farm they live on and as they go around doing the daily work taking the dog with them then any one trying to say the weather makes a difference has never worked a farm.

The farmers here are out no matter the weather with all their dogs roaming around them like little satellites!! And yes those dogs live out as well.

Also the OP has pointed out several times now that the word "guard" was not really correct on her part so why keep having a go at her for that?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 05:54 PM
If they take the dog with them it isn't chained up and can't be a warning system can it?

It has to be one thing or the other.

rune
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Okay well I will let all the farmers here know your opinion, as their dogs are a warning system while they are in the house, while out and about they still warn when some one is coming up to them.
At no point did the OP say this dog never got off the chain, actually she said just the opposite that the dog was only on the chain when they were not out on the farm, taking it riding with the horses or the times it goes down to the pub. So really is only left alone over night or if they need to do some thing the dog cant do. She also has pointed out several times now that the owner of the dog said in a jokey way that it is a guard dog, probably as the dog didnt bat an eye or even bother to get up when she pulled in to their place. And it was others on here that assumed that the dog is used as a warning system.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 06:25 PM
We can prettify the whole chaining of dogs thing, people keep trying to on here, but at the end of the day it's cruel. It stops a dog exhibiting it's natural behaviours...the ability to move freely, be part of a pack and close to it's pack, to escape predators (as a guard dog...why chain it? More likely to be abused I would have thought).
Personally I think it's awful and cruel. Lucky dog gets to go to the pub. Whoop. Great canine activity.

I do wonder about people sometimes.
http://www.worldanimalfoundation.net/f/ChainedDogs.pdf
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

07-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by chaospony View Post
Okay well I will let all the farmers here know your opinion, as their dogs are a warning system while they are in the house, while out and about they still warn when some one is coming up to them.
At no point did the OP say this dog never got off the chain, actually she said just the opposite that the dog was only on the chain when they were not out on the farm, taking it riding with the horses or the times it goes down to the pub. So really is only left alone over night or if they need to do some thing the dog cant do. She also has pointed out several times now that the owner of the dog said in a jokey way that it is a guard dog, probably as the dog didnt bat an eye or even bother to get up when she pulled in to their place. And it was others on here that assumed that the dog is used as a warning system.
Did she?? Can you point us to that bit please

Nobody assumes anything, we can only comment on what is posted .
Page 16 of 50 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 > Last »