Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AJB
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-01-2011, 07:02 PM

Is your dog winterized?

I was having a look at the accuweather web site and came across this article.

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/new...winterized.asp

I know most of us are aware of how to protect our dogs in extreme weather but found it interesting. I thought the point about not leaving dogs in cars in extremely cold weather was a good one to make. We all know about the dangers of hot cars but extremely cold cars can be dangerous too.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Intresting read.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 01:34 AM
Yep. It's freezing cold and snowy here for many months. We have booties for when it's really cold and to protect her paws from the salt. We use something called bag balm to keep her paws from cracking and to protect her when it's not quite so cold out, but is still around 0 or slightly below. I've never seen her shiver, even when outside in -23 degree weather. She really LIKES the winter!

When I need to leave Dahlia in the car before agility class to set things up, I leave the car running with the heat on and crack the windows slightly just to keep some fresh air in it.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Hi,

My dogs always coped well witht eh cold weather - or so I thought.

When we had that extreme cold last winter (early 2010) my dogs did shiver. Ellie, in her infinite wisdonm decided to go seimming in the lake too which surprisingly wasn't frozen.

I bought coats for all of them after that, even though they have double coats. I wasn't going to have them be cold on our walks. It's bad enough that I freeze. I want the dogs to enjoy themselves.

It was interesting to read. I don't leave my dogs in the car anyway as a rule if I can help it but when they are there, I, just like many here know how to keep them cool in the car for a short time if it's hot weather. I'd never considered the dangers of a cold car but I suppose it goes without saying really if you were to actually sit and think about it.

Thanks for posting it. you never know, you may have saved a dog's life by doing so.

Laura xx
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 09:41 AM
We have always been lucky down here, never had any major cold weather problems, but last year, when the last icy bits of snow were hanging around, we have some ice burns on feet
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 04:34 PM
I take all mine to training classes together and during the really cold spell I brough them indoors and tied them up. Now it's a bit warmer (I use the term loosely!) i'll leave them in the car until it's their turn but I do provide a bed so they dont get cold on the plastic liner.

I'm quite conscious about my dogs becoming too hot or too cold so I always keep an eye on them anyway.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 04:56 PM
That was very interesting to read, ty for post. When finally managed to dig the car out n go to our usual walking place after the snow etc. i wrapped a hot water bottle up in dogs blanket before putting(blanket) in car, , took it out when getting in n after walk n made sure blanket wasn't too hot(don't know if was right thing to do) but it was very cold.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Mine come already winterized LOL...