Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Sorry guys, I know I'm being a wally, I'm just so tired.

The main things we're working on are:

1. Settle in the home - leading back to a blanket with a long line when becomes restless and naughty to teach to be calm.
2. Food aggression - much , much better - Thank God!!]
3. More mind stimulation - which I've spent all day on and he's still restless and acting up.
4. Comfort zone - using the crate ALOT more to help him feel settled in there, hence it's in our room and he scrabbles to get out and keeps us awake!!

But most of all Neil seems utterly insistent on doing it his own way even though it's not the way we've been shown and we're justy arguing about it!! We're both tired and I'd planned a nice night tonight but so far we've spent it arguing, me crying and Woody being an absolute punk.

I just need a night off, but there isn't anyone at all that could have him as all our friends have cats and my family have horrid beagles who are frightened of him and his family are scared of dogs!!

It's like having a dysfunctional child that you've reached the end of your tether with but are also desperate to help and make things right.
Toro is a total attention seeker, you are not alone in your feelings, this is what we do at night with Toro for a bit of peace, after a certain time, what ever time you think is resonable, move all toys out the room, don't sit on the floor at his level, sit on the chair or couch, relax and wait, don't look at him or speak to him, if he goes to be naughty at sommit, get up and remove him , say nothing, eventually he will lie down, its patience and consistency, doing this every night till he gets the message its your time out, don't play with him on his command. You always start the play times and finish the playtimes not woody.
Don't spend all day trying to stimulate him, if hes been walked he should learn to settle after.
Don't have the crate in your room, and move it so that he can't see and guard doors ect, put it in a quiet corner in another room, so he can't see all the coming and goings.
I know how hard it is believe me but if you stick to your guns you will win over him.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Thanks everyone. Just back from a long day of training! One hour there, one hour sitting in observing the stage before us to catch up, one hour of our class and then an hour home. If he's hyper tonight it'll be surprising!!

He was absolutely brilliant in the class and sat nicely when he had to wait. His recall was perfect, his retrieve excellent, we haver some great tips for heel that were really working, now if I can just get him to sit instead of down, stand instead of sit etc it'll be a breeze ;o) (don't worry, I know what we need to do on it).

He's had a 30 minute off lead walk this morning with 10 minutes jog with my husband (included) and in an hour or so we're off for a nice long walk in the fields and then a pint in the pub.

Let's see how he is tonight after all of that.

Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Quick question Pidge....

When you say you want him to be settled in the home, what do you mean? For instance, if you and Neil sit down to watch a film, what does Woody do?

If you are sat on the sofa reading, what does Woody do?
I think it's a combination of attention seeking and frustration (he is VERY easily frustrated) so he'll gnaw the walls, furniture and pant alot. It's not good and he is clearly stressed. We need to help him realise that being in the home means a) it's not all about him all the time and b) that is his time to relax and chill out - lie quietly with a chew of toy. At the moment he doesn't understand this because we've never shown him.

Originally Posted by ALexa View Post
Hi Pidge

Just catching up with this thread and firstly wanted to send you a big hug, i think we have all been there.

This may seem a bit random, but i am in Oxfordshire and if I can be of any help, please give me a shout and I will see what i can do. Even if its just a bit more venting.

Alexa
Thanks Alexa, so sweet of you! Where exactly are you? PM me if you prefer ;o)
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2009, 02:30 PM
This is our new school btw - http://www.orchardsdogtraining.co.uk/pages/about3.html - they're excellent!!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Oh yes Pidge, Tony Orchard is really good! How exciting!

Wys
x
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Have you stopped the gundog training now Pidgey?
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Oh yes Pidge, Tony Orchard is really good! How exciting!

Wys
x
I'd say he was almost God like ;o) I mean, within seconds I had Woody walking to heel by using his methods and Woody loved every minute of it!!

Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Have you stopped the gundog training now Pidgey?
Yeah. Don't get me wrong Alex is brilliant and I would recommend him to anyone who wants to work their dog, but we don't. We need Woody to adapt to a pet home environment and the field training wasn't helping. I also towards the end, HATED the slip lead. Another thing I should have listened to you on Wamble!! ;o)
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2009, 02:48 PM
p.s. I think it's very sweet of all of you who are telling this isn't a big deal etc. Thanks! I think it could be major if we let it but I feel confident that we can take control and fix it, it's just really hard when you have a bolshy dog, stubborn husband and lack patience!!

ETA: especially Maxine who has offered a phone call anytime I need it. Good to know, trust me ;o)
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Pidgey, you've been doing your best for him and we all learn from experience what methods work for us and our dogs. It's very much trial and error when you first start dabbling in the murky waters of the dog training world. We all find a way that suits us and our dogs in the end. My methods for Cosmo have been very different to my methods for the Guide Dog pups, because I didn't want Cosmo or need Cosmo to be as ...well..umm...well behaved!!! He is a pet first and foremost and so we prioritised his training accordingly...he needed to have a good recall and manners in the house. Our 'person' from Guide Dogs was out yesterday and she laughed a lot when he barely greeted her (I knew she was coming and he had a stuffed kong...she knew that was why though, she knows all the tricks!!!) He then jumped up at the worktop when my OH emptied my sons sandwich box from his lunchbag...he knows if there is any meat left he gets it so jumps up to make it easier for you to pass it to him. Nothing if not considerate is our dog!!! She did laugh, the Guide Dog pups would never have done that (they wouldn't get the leftover meat for a start...not til their free run the next day at least )
Basically what I'm trying to say (in my ususal long winded manner) is that you find a way that suits you and your dog...and what you want your dog to be. We definitely prioritised commands and expectations with Cosmo and it showed yesterday afternoon!!!! He passed his companion of pup or boarder temperament test despite it all though, given he moved up so she had room to sit and tickle him on his bed and wasn't bothered by it...just enjoyed the tickles whilst still eating his kong...muppet!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2009, 03:04 PM
I don't want him to be perfect, I want him to be happy and like you have good manners in the home and excellent recall. Well, we're half way there ;o)

I've just popped him in the crate. He's knackered anyway so thought I would put him in there to sleep instead of on the sofa beside me. He's gone straight in and is now snoring quietly while I sit beside him on the sofa chatting to you lot. Is this right? I think half the problem is I have never minded him sleeping on the sofa beside me and following me everywhere but apparently this might help with his '''possible'' (yet to be confirmed) SA.

It's all very confusing. Poor Tony was trying to offer me some advice on the issues we have as I had to tell him what was going on, but I found myself switching off because I don't think I can listen to another persons opinion on it, if that makes sense. My mind is full of things and I'm desperately trying to process it all, chill out, relax, have fun but still make sure my dog isn't going insane.

Pfffft. If we do end up having kids I feel certain it'll be aq doddle after all of this!! ;o)
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2009, 03:07 PM
By the way, thought some of you might like to see the diary I kept of the things he did last week that were bothering us. It sounds really bad because of course I'm only focusing on the bad:

Wed 15 APR -

* 11pm - panting, licking and biting the wall, furniture, and carpet. Tried distraction, soothing game, strokes but he was just obsessed. Seems over tired and restless.
* 11.16pm came in with a stone in his mouth but wouldn't give it up for anything, not even a treat. Ignored him then went into kitchen for cheese, he ran in, dropped stone, ate cheese.

Thur 16 APR -

* 19.13pm - digging into sofa, scratching at wall and skirting board. No distractions worked, including offering hoof chew. Mouthing at my hand and making frustrated noises - despite long walk earlier.

Fri 17 APR -

* 8pm - sick after walk. Ate dinner. Unable to settle at all, scratched at the wall and at bedtime whimpered and howled. Neil slept downstairs on the sofa with him and he went straight to sleep.

Sat 18 APR -

* 7pm - back from an hours off lead walk and he is panting and charging about the house, humping furniture and not settling. Have given a bone to chew but would rather hump the bed.

Sun 19 APR -

* Brilliant day

Mon 20 APR -

* After an hour long walk would not settle, panting all night, played games, tricks, treats but whenever stopped he scratched/bit the wall/coffee table and didn't rest until gone 10.30pm!! Ate dinner in the kitchen from the bowl though for first time.
Page 6 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »