Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2009, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Dude, there is a no 'right' way to train a dog. It sounds like you are over focusing on it which will be rubbing off on Woody negatively. If I were you, I would take a break from training completely. I go weeks sometimes without making my boy so much as 'sit' on command and he hasn't crumbled apart...in fact, he is the most balanced and laid back boy I know. Chillax and just have some fun for a while -- they are only puppies once.
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I pretty much agree with this....you have done a lot of training with Woody already...he is such a young dog. You have the rest of his life to be doing all the other stuff with him. Enjoy him as a pup...they really and truly do settle as they age. Relax...walk him and play with him. He'll soon chill too...they take their lead from you.

That aside...have a hug...
I know what you mean and I'd be quite happy to have a break but when we're sitting down watching TV and he's gnawing holes into the wall it's abit tricky to just ignore him. Popping him in the crate makes him frantic and scrabble/dig/hump the bed etc so not much we can do other than try to calmly teach him to settle in the home.

Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
Sounds like Neil needs a bit of encouragement too. You can try over exaggerating your praise for him when he does it right with Woody, this may make him feel better about himself & more positive with Woody & you
You might not mean it too deeply but a little "oh honey you do that really well with Woody" may help.
Now go get loved up & make that baby (or practice) - tommorrow is another day!!
Noooooo, no babies!! ;o)

We have made up and had a chat though.

You guys rock xxxxxx
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2009, 12:21 AM
If you ever feel like treating Neil to a Travelodge break in Hull, I'll glady look after the Woodster!! But seriously, if I was closer, I'd love to have him for a day. Hope all the work with the behaviourist goes well.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2009, 07:11 AM
Thanks Charlotte. What a shame you guys all live so far away!

Well, he got up at 6am and took Woody for a 30 min off lead walk, with 10 mins of running included. All that with feeling tired and hungover bless him. He did let him back into the house though with wet, muddy paws and of course he ran straight upstairs and jumped all over Mummy and the bedding (white, organic cotton bedding!!).

We start his pre-bronze today so hopefully that will give us some extra guidance into helping him. It's a learning curve, but it's do-able I just need to learn to be patient!

Thanks for all the chats and advice last night, it really helped and have taken it all on board xx
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2009, 07:14 AM
Oh, also meant to say:

While we were doing the ''guiding back to the blanket to settle down'' thing after a while he ran off and went upstairs. When we got up there he was curled up fast asleep on our bed (which seems to have become his safe zone). I reached over to take the collar and lead off and he pulled back and looked afraid I was going to try guiding him again. This worried me as I don't want him to be fearful of me, ever. He's obviously not liking it so do I carry on? If not, what are we supposed to do when we settle down to watch TV and he starts chewing the walls, the furniture or generally acting up in a stressed way (despite plenty of stimulation and exercise)?
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2009, 07:18 AM
Much harder to train a hubby than a dog
Actually YS's suggestion of letting hubs do a class a week is exactly what I did with Paul and Missy.
He took her along to whistle training whilst I did all the other training at home
Oh -and I used to praise Paul up when he told me what happened at whistle classes. That was enough. He listens now when I tell him, that's not the way I taught Missy, you need to do it the same.

You'll be fine, Em, you'll get there *hugs*
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2009, 07:22 AM
If only I could do that. I would love him to come along to be honest but it's 12pm every Friday and he just cannot get that time off work. They're being very funny with him already and he needs to get his contract renewed in May so it just wont work.

I thought what I'd do is re-do the training with him every Sat morning (while it's still fresh in my mind) so he can learn what we have to do that week and help out. I'm just worrying that a) I'll forget something and b) I'll explain it but he'll not agree so will just go ahead and do it his way instead which he keeps doing.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2009, 07:30 AM
Can you not find him a class - any class - somewhere on a Sat morning - and then he can tell you what he did and you can learn from him? That might make him more receptive to learn about your classes from you!
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-04-2009, 07:32 AM
Oh.. Pidge... this is a heart breaking post...

Hasn't Woody got a crate? If so, please use it... That'll get one problem off your mind.

Have you ever tried clicker training? I reckon, with your sense of humour, you can get a lot of fun out of that... Even C/T'ing each other for doing things right... Woody would also be too busy offering behaviours, rather than chewing the wall...

Just imagine how you could use this in the bedroom... - with hubby, of course....

Why don't you Google 'clicker training'...
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2009, 07:38 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I just wish he would stop trying to assert his authority over Woody and do it properly. I'm sat here watching him lead Woody back but he's dragging him and Woody is kicking and screaming but Neil wont listen to me that it needs to be calm and assertive.
I'm so sorry you are having problems, but that's not good at all, because Woody will associate being taken to the blanket with punishment and it will take him much longer to accept if indeed he ever does.

Did you have the behaviourist over to actually show you what to do, in the house? as sometimes other family members will listen to professionals even if they don't listen to you.

If there are problems like this with Woody "kicking and screaming" it's just going to be so hard - it has to be done i n a reward based manner so he likes his blanket/crate.

I think you need to get the b. over when your hubby is there and if necessary get her to address his ways of doing things.....

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2009, 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
... when we're sitting down watching TV and he's gnawing holes into the wall it's abit tricky to just ignore him. Popping him in the crate makes him frantic and scrabble/dig/hump the bed etc so not much we can do other than try to calmly teach him to settle in the home.
He must enjoy the crate, it's imperative - do you put food etc in there and start with it with the door open? Not sure what advice you've had about this.

I've got an idea though

To make it easier to relax, and to help with hubby relations, why not use a chain lead (so it can't be chewed very well) or maybe 2 tied together, and tie him up close to you but not so close he can pester you, and give him an ingeniously stuffed kong to chew. Then just chill and if you ignore him (eye contact, talking about him,the lot) and of course make sure he's comfortable and been to the loo etc he should settle down. OK it's not on the blanket but if the leading him to and fro, with him hating it, is causing problems it needs to be done in another way that does work

I did this with my bsd and it was a godsend. I made sure she knew she was on a lead by leading her to the end of it and letting her gently pull against it. A shortish one may be best, one that allows him to relax but not forget he's on it. And always make it rewarding with food for him to eat when he's on it, and always always be upbeat when he's put on it, no matter how you may be really feeling! ?Also reward him with "good boy" and extra treats on occasion so he enjoys being there.

Just a suggestion but as I found it so useful I am hoping you may also.

Wys
x
Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »