View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2005, 07:52 AM
SB you're right, the reason why I stopped adding chicken to Archie's food was because I noticed he didn't eat well when I didn't add it!

I'll see how it goes anyway, just adding maybe once/twice a week?

LOL..... right again, as I discovered the other day when Archie was sick, he doesn't chew his kibble, he inhales it!
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-04-2005, 08:49 AM
I think starting to add things at this stage would just make him fussy, as he knows you will give him "nice things" with it if he doesnt eat it plain.

Bruno has not been allowed to get fussy. He gets dry Eukanuba pellets in the moring, and in the evening he gets pellets with about a tablespoon of tinned dog meat (not made from dog ) He gets extremely excited for his food every mealtime. Eats quicly, but crucnches / chews it thoroughly.

Our previous dog was the fussiest eater ever. You really had to convince him that it was worth eating. We had to pretend to eat it ourselves. And then he wouldnt eat it unless there were pieces of roast vchicken in with it, and every pellet had touched the chicken. I think this was purely because we had allowed him to be fussy, and he dictated what he should / would get. He was also not the healthiest dog. Skin conditions etc.
Bruno on the other hand could not be more healthy. He has strong, clean teeth, which I think is cos he gets dry food once a day.

In the end, it is up to what you want to do, but as someone said in another thread, Start as you mean to carry on ...

As far as I learned in the vet, a dog will not starve itself (unless it is ill), so a bit of persistence is needed. I was told you should put their food down, and after 20-30 mins pick it up whether they are finished or not (unless they are still eating due to a slow eater). They will soon learn that that is what they get, and they better eat it cos nothing else is coming till the next meal. Next meal do the same.

It has worked for me. And have started this with my friends dog. She is a much happier, less fussy dog now. before her food was left to stand all day so she could eat as and when she pleased. There were flies all over it, and the birds ate half of it. Not healthy.

This is just what has worked for me, and what I believe in, and what I have been told by animal proffessionals in this country. There are others on this forum that are far more knowledgeable than I am.
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-04-2005, 08:56 AM
I should quantify at this juncture, I don't add stuff to my dogs' kibble to get them to eat - they eat whether it's plain and dry, or covered in tripe. I just like adding stuff to their food as I feel plain, dry kibble must be pretty boring for them.
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-04-2005, 09:13 AM
Yep, I agree Archaeopath. I do the same every now and then.

But had to make sure I didnt create a fussy dog first.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2005, 09:26 AM
yeh, as the others have said tuti, u have to be careful that you dont create a fussy eater! thats what happened with indie and it was a complete nightmare getting her back to normal! it got to the stage where she wouldnt even eat the nice bits i put down for her, cos she thought she could get somethin better... but there wasnt anything better!
now, if she doesnt eat, the other 2 will finish it off, so she tends to eat now. but not without a look at me for somethin better,lol.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-04-2005, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by TamT
I was told you should put their food down, and after 20-30 mins pick it up whether they are finished or not (unless they are still eating due to a slow eater).
10 minutes is quite long enough for most adult dogs. Allowances can be made for the older, slower dogs and little puppies but, otherwise, 10 mins max.

Hard-hearted SB
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-04-2005, 10:27 AM
We'd be lucky to get 10 mins in our house - about 1 min 30 secs is average!

Becs
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-04-2005, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
10 minutes is quite long enough for most adult dogs. Allowances can be made for the older, slower dogs and little puppies but, otherwise, 10 mins max.

Hard-hearted SB
Thanks SB, I might have misheard, that sounds better to me, as Bruno is done in less than that.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-04-2005, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by Archaeopath
We'd be lucky to get 10 mins in our house - about 1 min 30 secs is average!

Becs
You have slow eaters then Becs?

I'll see your 1 min 30 secs & raise you 25 secs.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2005, 10:43 AM
Yeah it cant be much more than 20-25 secs here either
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >