Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fimberly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-11-2007, 04:57 PM

Kennel Cough and Dog Walker

Can I please ask your advise on something.
I am a dog walker in Scotland who has a rather large client base.
The last couple of weeks, a couple of dogs have come down with kennel cough.
My policy is not to walk any infected dog with other dogs. The dog either has to move to private walks or the owner has to make their own arrangements as I cannot risk other dogs getting sick.

Anyway, one of the puppies I do daycare with has been off for the last week with Kennel Cough, and started walks again today as the owners assured me she was fine.
About half an hour after picking her up, she was sneezing and coughing a little, so I call the owners to inform them that I dont think she has fully recovered. They assure me that the puppy is fine so I agree to keep hold of her, but move her to the front of the van so as not to be near other dogs.

To cut a long story short, she gets worse and worse until I call the owners again to inform them that she has to be returned home (was not just going to leave a puppy locked in my van whilst I walk other dogs).
The male owner seemed fine about it. So I assume everything is ok.
An hour later, I receive a text message from the female owner saying "this isn't working out and return our key as soon as you can".
I am obviously confused by this so call her. She answers and then hangs up. Then when I call back, it goes to voicemail.
I then call the male owner and he says that it is just not working out and they will call me tonight.

Did I do the correct thing in terms of protecting my other clients dogs? or did I over react?

Why would someone act like this when I was working in the dogs best interest?

Please help guys,

confused
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2007, 05:03 PM
You did absolutely the right thing. Your clients need to know their dogs are being protected from infection, if that means losing a couple along the way then so be it. Imagine if you had not acted upon it and ALL those other dogs had fallen ill as a result. You would have lost more clients in that eventuality.

It is the same at school. We send children home not only because they are unwell and cannot learn effectively but there are the rest of the class to consider.
kirstya72
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-11-2007, 05:04 PM
I think you did exactly the right thing

I don't use a dog walker but if I did I would like to think that they were in safe hands and not spending time with sick dogs.

Sounds a bit like nursery for kids and as kennel cough spreads quickly you can't be too careful-sounds as if that daft woman has cut off her nose to spite her face imo
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Sounds like you did the right thing to me.

I guess they felt inconvenienced, but if they cared about their dog they should be pleased that you take the health of all the dogs seriously and would understand that what you did was sensible.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2007, 05:07 PM
you did exactly the right thing, kennel cough is awful it took spencer 3 weeks to be completly clear, and at the end of the day your reputation is at stake. Better to lose one dog rather than them all. I also wouldnt want such a rude woman as a client.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2007, 05:09 PM
agree with everyone else.
madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-11-2007, 05:20 PM
You did the right thing, im a dog walker too and would have no hesitation in taking a dog home if i thought its health or the health of the other dogs was at risk.
fimberly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Thanks guys.
I felt I did the right thing, but I couldnt believe her reaction.
They still havent called me to explain, and pick up the daycare stuff. Am just going to send it in the post- maybe with some info on kennel cough and the risks.

I think its only because she reacted like that I thought I had done something wrong.

Its a shame that so many dogs have it at the minute, means the walks are so quiet.

I am worried that they think I cant be bothered to walk their dog or something- but its not like I am on a salary, if I dont walk a dog, I dont get paid for it.

It has really got me upset as the puppy is sooooo cute and gets on so well with my dog.

Oh well
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2007, 07:55 PM
They obviously thought they knew best - but you knew and took all the other dogs into account - that was the best decision imo ! Their loss
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2007, 08:00 PM
I would put a note in when you return their items just saying something like,

Hope so and so is recovering now and that i am sure they will understand that your job is to protect and care for all the dogs you look after. Thought this leaflet on kennel cough may be of interest to you. Please feel free to call me when things are back to normal.

That way you have put your views across and also leave the door open for future business with them.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >