Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Just because something's a problem doesn't mean you have to kill it

Stupid people are a 'problem' but we don't suggest killing them

Anyway, back to the topic - I agree with all the humane advice, try to figure out a way to keep them out or your chickens safe. Strong fences with wobbly tops sounds like a good idea to me
Depends on how much of a problem it is doesnt it. Foxes are not people so there is absolutely no comparison.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I can only go on my experience Dawn - we bought a house up near Chester that had a large duckpond in the garden with several species of breeding pairs on it. The people we bought from had lost many ducks to foxes, and in the end resorted to a simple boundary fence of tennis court-type chain link fencing with a wire running round the top. Fox problem ended, they never suffered any more losses, and neither did we.

I am not a farmer, I can only quote from my own experience. Clearly the farmer's electric fence had a big enough gap between the electrified wire and the ground to allow a fox to slip through.

Horrible as it is ... I am fully aware of what vicious killers foxes are ... and how ghastly it is to find the bloody remains of Reynard's kill (my uncle was a chicken farmer, so I know what I am talking about) ... I still defend the fox in that he is seeing an easy meal. To call them vicious killers is actually wrong, it is humanising them. If a human being did what foxes do then they would indeed be vicious killers, but the fox knows no better.

That is not to say that I would condemn a farmer for sitting up with a shotgun at night to defend his livestock. I just dislike the way you try to portray foxes as vermin and slaughterers of innocent lamkins, when you yourself freely admit to going lamping ... for fun, for sport.
When was that then?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Depends on how much of a problem it is doesnt it. Foxes are not people so there is absolutely no comparison.
Quote -

"Of all the creatures, man is the most detestable. *Of the entire brood, he is the one who possesses malice.
He is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain. The fact that man knows right from wrong proves his intellectual superiority to the other creatures; but the fact that he can do wrong, proves his moral inferiority to any creature that can not."
Mark Twain
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 02:53 PM
I can only go on my experience Dawn - we bought a house up near Chester that had a large duckpond in the garden with several species of breeding pairs on it. The people we bought from had lost many ducks to foxes, and in the end resorted to a simple boundary fence of tennis court-type chain link fencing with a wire running round the top. Fox problem ended, they never suffered any more losses, and neither did we.

I am not a farmer, I can only quote from my own experience. Clearly the farmer's electric fence had a big enough gap between the electrified wire and the ground to allow a fox to slip through.

Horrible as it is ... I am fully aware of what vicious killers foxes are ... and how ghastly it is to find the bloody remains of Reynard's kill (my uncle was a chicken farmer, so I know what I am talking about) ... I still defend the fox in that he is seeing an easy meal. To call them vicious killers is actually wrong, it is humanising them. If a human being did what foxes do then they would indeed be vicious killers, but the fox knows no better.

That is not to say that I would condemn a farmer for sitting up with a shotgun at night to defend his livestock. I just dislike the way you try to portray foxes as vermin and slaughterers of innocent lamkins, when you yourself freely admit to going lamping ... for fun, for sport.
theres nothing wrong with lamping rabbits. if the rabbits overpopulate they become pests, they begin to run out of food and space, they catch diseases easier and it spreads quicker. its just effective animal management. doesnt matter if borderdawn enjoys doing it, it has to be done. its pest control.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Quote -

"Of all the creatures, man is the most detestable. *Of the entire brood, he is the one who possesses malice.
He is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain. The fact that man knows right from wrong proves his intellectual superiority to the other creatures; but the fact that he can do wrong, proves his moral inferiority to any creature that can not."
Mark Twain
Whats your point, as I said previously its an opinion, we all have them!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by musky View Post
I would like to apologise to wording this post incorrectly, I'm also sorry that some of you have found my personal opinions to be somewhat annoying.

I have always made an effort to keep my animals safe, as I said I have lost four chickens in 10 years of keeping them, and one of them was taken by a dog,
I am quite aware about foxes, I wrote this post because I was upset to lose one of my chucks, I live and have lived the majority of my life in rural locations, but still find all the killing and cruelty hard to stomach.
Musky, I am sorry that you feel like this about your thread. For what it is worth, I think you have done well keeping your girls so safe over the years and I understand how devastated you must be to lose your girl in this way.

I also don't see why Gnasher is getting so much stick on this thread, I know that it is to do with e-collars (and I will say that I do totally disagree with them) but I thought Dogsey guidelines stated we shouldn't be bringing other threads into other threads? I know that many chicken keepers (myself included) use electric fencing to protect their birds, why shouldn't it be suggested? As Steve has mentioned, badgers are a predator that pose a really high risk to hens because of their physical strength. My Dad lives very rurally and I have seen a badger in his garden at night. We have a spare coop and run at his for when we go away and I have a double row of electric fencing round the run for that reason.

As Moobli mentioned, foxes are by no means the only predator to a hen. An friend of a friend told me that her dad's hens had been killed one night by a fox that had got into the coop through a ventilation gap a couple of inches big and removed the birds heads. That would strongly suggest to me it was a stoat or other mustelid but she just assumed it would have been a fox.

Sadly there is no 100% way to protect your hens, peeing round the coop may make a fox move on to another garden which doesn't smell of pee, electric fencing may not be set up correctly, batteries can fail in fox watches, coop maintenance can go un-noticed and don't forget airborne attacks from birds of prey.... All we can do is our best and try and learn from mistakes. If we don't try and establish how a fox (or other predator) got to our birds and just shoot the fox, sooner or later there will be another fox and he / she will also be able to get to the birds.

Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Stupid people are a 'problem' but we don't suggest killing them
Well, not publicly we don't
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 06:38 PM
Whats your point, as I said previously its an opinion, we all have them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdawn
Foxes are not people so there is absolutely no comparison.

The above quote is the "point"
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdawn
Foxes are not people so there is absolutely no comparison.

The above quote is the "point"
Like I said, an opinion. The point means zip to me VB. Foxes need to be controlled, people need to stop moaning when their pets get killed by them. People have made urban Foxes what they are. If a pest is a problem, deal with it.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Disagree totally with the killing idea ... the fox is trying to survive, the same as every living thing on the planet, and who can blame him for targetting an easy meal?

We had a large pond with about 6 pairs of assorted waterfowl living in and around it. It was enclosed with a tennis court-type wire fence about 5 foot high with an electric fence wire running along the top about 6" above. The control box was outside the perimeter fence, so you just switched it off before entering through the gate to feed them, clean out the nesting boxes etc., and then just turned it on again after leaving. It was run from a car battery, so did not cost an arm and a leg and we never lost any ducks to Reynard.

No need to kill anything ... just out-fox the fox LOL!!
I agree! The poor fox is only trying to survive! It is sad the chickens were taken, but the fox doesn't understand that they are someone's pets... they are fair game to a fox!

Then may I suggest you dont moan about your chickens being killed by them. Keep them more secure.
That is plain nasty! You don't need to read the thread, and there is no need to post like that just coz the person doesn't agree with killing the fox! (who it may not have even been!)

Why is it? The title of this thread said "fox PROBLEM" Not "Foxes killed my chickens but its ok because we are all here to be fed and watered!"

Who argued with anyones opinion? Not me Rips. Again the thread title says "problem" to me that said its a problem to the OP. If you dont keep them secure enough they will get ripped to bits by Foxes, period. Deal with it or stop complaining about it.

Sorry, Im sick of hearing about these things, it drives me nuts. Its always poor chickens, poor Bunnies, poor Guinea Pigs. Keep them safer or deal with the FACT that people have encouraged Foxes into urban areas and they WILL eat your pets!

Did the OP not think the Chickens they CHOSE to keep deserved the "protection and care" they obviously think the Fox is entitled to?
You said it, it is people who encouraged (or forced in most cases) foxes into urban areas. They have few places to go, yet we see them as 'pests', maybe people just shouldn't have taken over every corner of the globe!

If a pet of mine was taken by a fox, i wouldn't blame the fox for trying to survive, i would blame myself for not protecting them enough.

I hate this superior attitude that some people have, we can do anything and kill anything but god forbid another animal actually tries to survive...
Azz
Administrator
Male 

29-06-2011, 11:17 PM
They are sentient beings. And us, as the ruling and supposedly most intelligent, species on the planet have a duty to protect and do right by it and all it's in habitants.

Page 5 of 12 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »