Our sister sites
Our sister sites
freckles211
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-01-2009, 02:32 PM

Do I get A New pal For freckles?

Hi All

I am concerned about my JR Freckles. Sadly 7 days ago i lost my Collie X Casper, who was 13yrs old the same age as Freckles, they had been together since they were 18mths old.

I said that i would not get another dog whilst i had Freckles, but she looks so sad, she is not eating & i am off in a mo to go & try to find her something nice to eat.

I feel its to soon for me but i want to do the best for her. Do i get her another dog for company or will i be doing her more harm than good? Would she take to another dog at her age? I would hate to get one & then have to re home it as Freckles didnt get on with it.

Has anyone got any suggestions please?

Many thanks

Amanda
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 02:39 PM
So sorry for your loss.

It's early days, I would wait a while, when we had to re-home Ruby, Diesel was very depressed, went off his food etc., but he did perk up after a few weeks. It's only natural after living together for such a long time that she will miss her pal.

We did end up getting another dog but Diesel is only 2 years old and we felt he needed that company and we did too.

I would give her and yourself some time.

{{{HUGS}}}
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 02:40 PM
this is a hard situation and i feel for you both. it all depends on what type of temperament she has... is she keen to meet new dogs? does she accept visiting dogs into your home? does she perk up when in the company of other dogs?
freckles211
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Hi gsdmad

She has a great temperment, has no problems with other dogs coming into her home, my Mum often brings her Westie who is 2yrs old over & of course he wants to play, sometimes she will & sometimes she will show her teeth & snap at him, but no more than that.

She has never attacked another dog, & loves meeting dogs when she is out & about. But i have noticed she can get a bit grumpy with my cats sometimes if they try & go up to her but that is only if she is on her bed or on the settee with us, but she has never attacked them more of a warning i think. At the moment my ginger cat is sleeping with her, but he can get a bit big for his boots & i have to move him off her bed as she is right on the edge otherwise.

She has also snapped at another dog in the vets but that was a bitch, if she sees a male she will roll onto her back (little tart).

Many thanks

Amanda
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Selkie is 12 and not too keen on other dogs, Pharaoh is 10 and likes to play briefly, then be left alone. When Jackjack died, I decided to get a new puppy, but I was under no illusion, the new puppy was for me, not for them! Pharaoh plays with her on the field, Selkie ignores her. I don't know if they are happier to have her about. It certainly woke them both up as Kismet got old enough to assert her place in the pack.

Lots of dogs change their eating habits when they become an only dog. My Mum's dog Bizkit often comes and stays with us, when with my pack she eats when they eat and eats all of her food in one sitting, but when at home alone with my Mum, she often leaves her food and wanders back to it when she feels like it. There is no competition for the food, so she has no reason to eat all at once. Does Freckles go back to the food if you leave it down?

Hmm.. My suggestion would be look in your own heart. Do you want another dog? If the answer is yes then try going to local rescue centres, look for a dog that is calm and quiet. Take Freckles in to meet the potential new dog a couple of times, see how they interact. Even if she more or less ignores her, having another calm stable dog in the house will help her to feel secure and will help with her eating.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post

Hmm.. My suggestion would be look in your own heart. Do you want another dog? If the answer is yes then try going to local rescue centres, look for a dog that is calm and quiet. Take Freckles in to meet the potential new dog a couple of times, see how they interact. Even if she more or less ignores her, having another calm stable dog in the house will help her to feel secure and will help with her eating.

well I'd just typed a longish reply, glanced back before posting it and saw this by Magpye...exactly what I was going to say.

I wish you and Freckles well, whatever you decide.
freckles211
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Hi Magpye

She wont eat at all, even if i leave her food down for her. As she has got older she has become more fussy with her food. I have today been out & bought her some Burns, but for the smaller dog.

I soaked it slightly so that it was softer but not mushy, she wouldnt eat it out of her bowl, but when i put some in my hand she ate it. So i sat & hand fed her & she had nearly all of it apart from a couple of handfuls, so that was encouraging.

I just cant help worrying about her.

Amanda
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Bless her, dogs do mourn, she's clearly seeking your company, she wants to be with you, eat with you. Perhaps you could try giving her dinner at the same time as yours and 'share' the experience with her. Sometimes something as silly as changing her bowl to a plate, or one of your china bowls will do the trick. She needs to find her place in the new human only pack, she's probably feeling a little lost.

Hugs to you both. I'm sure she will get better in time. It's so hard when we lose someone like this, especially someone who has been a constant in your lives for so long.

You have my deepest sympathy.
freckles211
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Hi

Many thanks Magpye.

I will try what you have suggested.

Amanda
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-01-2009, 06:20 PM
She is confused and she will miss casper, i think all dogs that live in a pack, miss the others when they are no longer with us.
But there is a lot of factors you need to consider, age, nature, health the ipact bringing another dog into the home will have on her lifestyle and if you think she can adjust so soon
If she is showing signs of being mixed up i would leave it a while for her to adjust, which she would adapt to being the only dog, so if you get another with time, she will only react in a good way.

I had a dog who had grown up with another for 9 yrs, he missed her, moped around, off his food etc for a few months, but when we did get another from a pup, he got his spark for life back.

They were only together a year, but he enjoyed his last year because he had another dog around.
So i think it is difficult to know when, but if it is too soon you don't want it to end in more heart ache for anyone.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >