View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-08-2006, 07:41 AM

Blackie is scratching! (flea allergy? plant allergy?)

Hello,

I have a problem with Blackie, it's only started a couple of days ago, he has started to scratch and nibble at himself, and if I go to touch the rear part of his back it seems very itchy. I don't use any flea potions, there is a risk with BC's, but I have started him on garlic pearls these are 2mg pearls, how much is a safe amount to give him? He is a Border Collie. Would it be ok to give him a bit higher dose just to get the garlic into him.

The only other thing I can think off is that I have a couple of bushes in the garden, he often goes under them to give himself a good scratch, I wonder if they are causing it. Also when I think about it, one of our other BC's also got this problem on his back, but it got worse and worse, until in the end he had to be bathed twice weekly with a special shampoo of the vets which I thought was making things worse!

Yours thoughts would be apreciated.

Ian (feeling itchy now)
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2006, 08:00 AM
Hi Ian,

As you know, we've got a Labrador (Mick) and a Collie Cross, (Benji).

Benji always likes the back of his back(if you know what I mean) scratched, the harder you do it, the better he likes it.

Just lately he has been scratching his leg, we felt it and it feels like a gnat bite, you know how aggravating they can be.

Secondly, Mick used to get sarcoptic mange (sounds worse than it was) because of the foxes using our garden as a "run".

Could it be that perhaps ?

Regarding the garlic, I reckon that 2mg is probably ok to start with.

I've just started Mick on Vitamin C and Green Lipped Mussel for his arthritis in his legs and I'm giving him the dose that it says on the box for adults.

So if it says on the box of garlic that 2mg is ok for an adult, I reckon it will be ok for Blackie.

Sorry I've not been much help, but if I find out anything else, I will let you know.

Kind regards

Jill
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-08-2006, 08:07 AM
Hi Ian it could be fleas or a skin allergy. Does the skin look red/flaky/irritated?

Can you see any fleas or the little black specs of flea dirt? Try combing Blackie over a white cloth and see if any black specs fall out then put one on a wet tissue, if the problem is fleas the speck will turn brownish red.

It is not a good idea to give large amounts of garlic, it can affect a dogs blood ..also give it for a few days at once then have a couple of days break. Not sure of the quantity of garlic pearls..I use fresh garlic but would say around half a child's dose.

If you think it is fleas maybe ring the vet for some shampoo, you will also need to clean Blackies bed and vacume everywhere.
Tan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-08-2006, 06:06 PM
Have you considered diet?
Dogs do develop intolerances, particularly to common cereals like wheat, and even some types of protein and that can cause severe itching (something to do with toxin buildup). Someone I know has a dog that had that problem with rice and had to go on a potato based complete food which works fine.
If you're feeding a dried food try one that contains fish or venison or something like that, and no wheat. If you're feeding raw I suppose it's try elimination and see if you can work out what might be the problem.
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-08-2006, 09:34 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your advice, I have combed and brushed him and there appears to nothing there. I can't see down to his skin, his coat is that thick, but there's no flakes or anything.

I have had him out in this pouring rain today and since he has come back he hasn't been too bad (He wasn't scratching and going frantic, if you know what I mean) it was just a occasional quick lick sort of thing. So I wonder if he has been too hot, and made his blood to hot.

The garlic, I know you have to be carefull, I usually give it for two weeks then off for a month. It (I think) is a small dose only 2mg but I will watch him, if it is fleas I will stop the garlic a couple days after he stops itching.

I was wondering if it could have been with him being out side all day the last few days - in the shade of course.

Ian
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2006, 12:58 PM
Aw sorry to hear that. I've had this problem with Loki and despite having given him garlic every day since I got him - he does have fleas - I saw the devils and was horrified as he's never had them before. I've been told not to use anything on him for now as he is on antibiotics and if he had a seizure we wouldn't know which caused it, but the vet said he would give Frontline which I'm worried about too so don't really know what to do.