Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2015, 09:06 PM

Interesting Almost Antique Book

I have a huge library that I've been reducing bookcase by bookcase. I remember moving one time and a friend helping us got to the tenth box...of just cookbooks...and almost refused to carry anymore.

So regular donations to my favorite library and having to sort title by title by title. Of course I'm finding some tomes that must have just magically grown on the shelves. Several books from the teens and 1920's, my Mum was a big reader too.

One that I just found is "The Book of Dogs" by The National geographic Society. the copyright is 1927. Of course the first breed I had to look up was bull terrier. The illustrations are gorgeous! Photography was rare in books at that time so these are hand drawn full color pictures.

Mostly it just waxes poetic what devoted fighters they are. Tenacious and happy to fight to the death without showing "the yellow streak" for even a moment. They recommend "The Bar Sinister" by Richard Harding Davis as one of the best written dog stories of all time.

It's even suggested they might be highly intelligent...sad to say at the time of publication dog fighting had only been illegal in England for sixty years and was still apparently flourishing in certain circles in the states. Still an interesting book from a historical perspective.