Female 

18-03-2015, 05:33 PM
Kenny, how are you and Harvey today?
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-03-2015, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Hi Kenny and welcome to Dogsey - there are some fab supportive people on here, so as already said, you've come to the right place for support.

There is some really good advice here already that shows how great everyone is here

Also, someone has touched on that Harvey is trying to support you and I think that is an important factor that I too was picking up towards the end of your opening thread. Harvey is trying his best to look after you too and I wonder if the seperation anxiety is because you two are so close he knows how anxious you were at leaving him.

Try and return to the routine he recognises. I'd have him sleep downstairs if he's happy there re the carpet thing as much as anything. In your position though and with just the two of you, I'd set the alarm for a few nights and just quietly check on him, to reassure yourself. Try not to distub or wake him and don't even pet or talk to him if he is asleep and okay. Just reassure yourself. Then after a few nights go to bed as late as you can and get up as early as you can. So that you are with him as much as possible.

It is also important for you to learn to leave him without getting stressed, no fuss, no bother. I do thing the seperation issue is a seperate issue and because he is worried about you.

My lovely Jack Russell who was my best friend for 18 years had fits from about 3 years old and as you see made old age. She would urinate and so on and I'd come into a terrible mess if she'd had a fit when I was not there. The message I'm trying to get across is try not to worry and stress (easier said than done, I know) and try and get things back to normal. Hopefully the fits will lessen or stop. How long before we know if teh meds are working? Harvey knows you love him and trusts you - but he is looking out for and worrying about you too.

Please as others have said remember to look after yourself as well as him. He needs you strong.

Good luck with all this, Dogsey is such a wonderful place to visit and you have our strength and support to draw on.
Hi bobble

What a lovely post and I dont care, it actually made me blub, especially the bit about Harvey trying to support me.

I am sorry to read about your little girl and how wonderful she was able to have such a long life of love.

I think you are right though, he has always been so in tune with my moods and emotions and me in tune with his (aren't dogs just the most wonderful companions to have).

Before I had Harvey I would never have thought it was possible to bond totally, and I do mean totally, with a dog - he is my world.

So far he has only had one seizure, albeit a bad one, but I know its only a matter of time before the tumor takes him.

I am doing everything you say funny enough, staying up later with him and getting up earlier just so I can spend more time with the lad and make his days as love filled as I can.

I have kept things so he is still down stairs and I am upstairs but if he fits again, depending how bad it is, I think I will sleep down stairs on a mattress on the floor so that he can snuggle with me if he wishes (and I can keep an eye on him).

Thank you again for such kind words and it really has moved me.
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-03-2015, 05:59 PM
Hi everyone and thank you guys for asking for updates.

I will post one in the next 10 mins or so as Harvey is having a sleepy spell and I can get on the computer.
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-03-2015, 07:29 PM
So I walked into the kitchen last night to see why Harvey was taking so long at his water bowl to find him just sat on his hunches smack in the middle of the floor with his head hung right down shaking with tremors.

I gently sat beside him and he seemed to snap out of it and we went back into the front room.

He got into his bed but nothing could get him to lay down and as I previously posted the tremors were affecting his head also.

I just sat with him gently stroking him and then after about an hour I tried the "dog treat in a toy" to see if I can distract him and it worked to a degree.

He was up for it but kept loosing interest and twice his back legs almost gave way and he kinda stumbled.

He eventually got into his bed and laid down and I stayed up with him gently stroking his neck (his fave place) and after about an hour or so I just had to go to bed as I am exhausted emotionally.

I still got up early and first thing I tried to call his vet, more for advice but also wanted to ask about anti inflammatory supplements which I have seen others around the net who have had dogs with a brain tumour say eased the symptoms especially the tremours. Apparently its said that selenium and Vitamin E can relieve the inflammation around the tumour and so relieve the symptoms.

My vet would not speak to me and instead I got put through to a very 'matter of fact' vet nurse who really made me feel I was wasting her time and just didn't want to know. She simply said, "I can see from Harvey s records that ******* (his vet) is happy with him as he is so just bring him in for a checkup in 3 weeks time".

I said, yes but he may not be here in three weeks time if his symptoms continue to get worse and I would have thought that if there is anything that can make things a little easier for him then you'd not only know about it but would want to do it.

She then said "Beyond bringing him in in 3 weeks I have nothing to suggest and I know nothing of the supplements you speak of".

I got a bit upset and said "well if you Google it there are loads of posts on dog forums and websites saying how diet and supplements can help a dog with brain tumours, and I don't think I should be telling you about them, it should be the other way around".

She simply said "Right.... Well I can only repeat what I said earler."

So I ended the conversation.

I have now moved Harvey to a new and local vet.

I telephoned two local and well known dog clubs and asked if they knew of a vet local to me who had experience of brain tumors in dogs and both indiedependently highly recommended the same practice.

I gave them a call and sure enough their senior small animal vet has a lot of experience of dealing with canine brain tumors and and active interest in the ongoing care side.

He seemed a bit concerned that the current Vet has not done a blood workup on Harvey since he had his seizure (his last blood tests were in November) and he said that he personally would want to know what his bloods say now.

He also said that he was mindful of not putting Harvey through un-necessary visits to the surgery as Harv gets very stressed and also not racking up costs for no reason.

So I have registered Harv with him and he is going to request Harv's clinical records. He said he will see what my current vet has (or has not) done and will give me a call to have a chat which I felt was best.

I hope I have done the right thing but his old Vet is 40 - 45 minutes away and the new one is only 15. My way of thinking is if I needed to get Harv to the vet in an emergency then 15mins car journey is much kinder to Harv than 45mins.

Harvey Today.

(Before I rang his vet)

When I got up he seemed Okay, happy to see me and eager for his breakfast which he woofed down in about a minute.

He also took his medication (wrapped in a slice of ham) with out a problem.

After I had had a chance to have a cup of tea and let the sleeping pills wear off I took him out for his morning walk.

At the sight of me putting my coat on and his lead he got excited as normal though he no longer squeaks with excitement as he has always done so.

We probably got about 200 maybe 300 yards out the back gate and onto the headland of the field and I notice that he was walking slower than normal, not with any bounce and not walking off in front.

In fact even at my slower than normal pace he was falling behind so I brought him home and this is when I rang his Vet as I was quite scared by now.

He got into his bed and fell sleep and when I'd finished speaking with the two vets I did the same on the sofa with one arm across him.

About 11am-ish he woke up and asked to go out into the garden. No sign of tremors and quite alert. He went and found his ball and we had a game of throw and fetch followed by "its my ball dad and you cant have it". Nothing too strenuous or exciting and I was watching his legs and how steady he was and he seemed normal.

He then laid out in the sun (as it was out) so I was able to do some gardening while keeping one eye on him.

A few times he came to find me and he seemed fine, no shakes and he wasn't clingy - he just wanted to know where his dad was (this is normal for Harvey).

As he seemed to be feeling more like his normal self around 3.30pm-ish I took him out for a walk and he was fine. He found a huge stick from somewhere and was proudly trotting so far off in front with it in his mouth that I had to call him back a few times.

And he was running, before he became ill he always ran everywhere, never walked - always running and today when ever I called him back he ran and for the first time in ages he had a lovely smile (yes he does smile) and he was all playful and mischievous.

He wanted to play "throw and fetch" with this huge great stick and he loves playing "tug of war" which he instigated.

It wasn't all plain sailing, a few times towards the end of the walk he seemed to loose interest really easy and once he trotted right past me with out actually seeing me stood there.

It was when he started doing this we headed off home (we had only probably walked a 1/4 to a 1/3 of a mile) and back home he seemed tired.

As it was his tea time I left it for 20 mins or so for him to clam down and recover from the walk and all the time he was asking for his tea.

I fed him and he woofed it down then he got straight into his bed, curled up and fell asleep.

He has woken up a few times and looked up at me to make sure I am here but apart from that he has more or less been sleeping on and off for the last 3 hours (he is still at it).

He looks very normal and peaceful, no tremors, nothing.

So its been a strange time since last night and I don't really know what to make of it to be honest.

I am taking the time while he is snoozing to write this and research more about these supplements online.

And this is where we are up to really...
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2015, 09:04 PM
Wow Kenny, you are amazing ... you are doing everything you possibly can for harvey ... i take my hat off to you, you are an inspiration to us all. Power to your elbow mate!! Give harvey a big hug from me! xx
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-03-2015, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Wow Kenny, you are amazing ... you are doing everything you possibly can for harvey ... i take my hat off to you, you are an inspiration to us all. Power to your elbow mate!! Give harvey a big hug from me! xx
Hi Gnasher

Thanks for the kind words and I appreciate it but I dont think I'm amazing, I'm just doing what I can for someone I love and who loves me back just as much.

It still does not feel that I am doing enough if I'm honest

I have just given him a big hug from you and got a good face wash in return ...
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-03-2015, 09:11 PM
In my searching on the web I found the following....

What do you guys think?

Cancer Treatment for Dog Patients - Shrinking Tumors

There is a lot of evidence, both scientific and anecdotal, that certain natural supplements have anti-tumor and anti-inflammatory properties. Therefore, these supplements can be considered as an adjunct to conventional cancer treatment for dog patients. Because these supplements are not drugs, they tend to produce less toxicity in cancer patients.

Below are some supplements that have been indicated by many holistic veterinarians to be useful in cancer fighting.

As with any other supplements, be sure to consult with your vet or oncologist first before giving them to your dog:

Cordyceps: Cordyceps is a kind of mushroom that has been used for medicinal purposes in Asia for years. It has been found that cordyceps has many beneficial properties such as anti-tumor, anti-bacterial, anti-oxidant, among others. It also supports the kidneys, the lungs, and the liver and enhances the overall immune system. Cordyceps is available in powder form and can be mixed with your dog's food.

Shiitake, Maitake, Reishi: These mushrooms have also been used for medicinal purposes in Asia for a long time. They have anti-tumor, anti-oxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties, and are immune enhancers.

Parsley: This little herb contains apigenin, a bioflavonoid. Recent research has found that apigenin kills cancer cells in several ways. For example, it causes the cancer cells to stop dividing, it decreases the ability of cancer cells to create blood vessels, and causes them to die. One easy way to use apigenin to fight canine cancer is to mix chopped-up fresh parsley with your dog's food. Recommended daily dosage is about one ounce of chopped parsley (4-5 tablespoons) per 30 pounds of body weight, split into several portions.

Green Tea: Green tea contains EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate) which is part of a group of molecules called the polyphenols. EGCG has been found to have high antioxidant and anti-cancerous properties. Like apigenin described above, EGCG stops cancer cell division and causes cancer cells to die. It also interferes with the formation of blood vessels by cancer cells.

Essiac Tea: Essiac tea is an herbal cancer remedy that contains four herbs: burdock root, slippery elm, sorrel, and Turkey rhubarb root. Many cancer patients, both humans and dogs, have responded favorably to this remedy. Some dog owners have used it successfully to manage their dog's cancer.

Boosting Immune System and Digestion

When a dog is suffering from cancer, it is understandable that his immune system and other body functions (e.g. digestion) are compromised. Supplements such as the following can be used to help the dog in this regard:

Digestive Enzymes: Digestive enzymes help the body break down food for easy absorption. Dogs do not have digestive enzymes to break down certain foods such as vegetables, fruit, and plant material. Supplementation of digestive enzymes is therefore important especially for a dog with cancer so that he can get as much nutrients as possible from his food. In addition, feeding digestive enzymes to a dog patient also helps to lessen the burden of the pancreas since it can store up the enzymes (if fed on an empty stomach) instead of working hard to make more.

Multiple Vitamins: Vitamins such as vitamins A, C, and E are antioxidants and they can also boost the immune system. Dogs with cancer may have a poor appetite and as such may not be able to get from their food all the vitamins necessary to help them fight cancer. Supplementation with multiple vitamins is therefore essential for dogs with cancer.

Make sure that your dog takes his vitamins with food for better absorption. For optimal absorption of fat-soluble vitamins, add some virgin coconut oil to the meal.

Products for Cancer Treatment for Dog Patients

Here are some natural, high-quality supplements that can be used as complementary cancer treatment for dog patients:

MUSH Medicinal Mushroom Blend: This is a medicinal mushroom formula containing Cordyceps, Reishi, Maitake, Shiitake, and Turkey Tail - all mushrooms that have anti-tumor and anti-inflammatory properties and can boost the immune system.

Genesis Resources Canine CAS Options for Dogs: This supplement contains mushrooms (Reishi, Shiitake, Maitake), green tea powder, Coenzyme Q-10, vitamins A and E, and others - all powerful antioxidants that have anti-tumor properties. This formula seems to be extremely effective in canine cancer treatment.

Only Natural Pet B.S.S.T. Herbal Formula: This is a formula of Essiac Tea made especially for pets.

Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil: This organic virgin coconut oil can be added to your dog's meal to help him absorb the multiple vitamins he is taking.

Prozyme: Prozyme is an all-natural digestive enzyme supplement. It contains a combination of four human-grade, highly concentrated and purified natural plant-derived enzymes (lipases, amylases, proteases, and cellulases).

Integrative Therapeutics Vitaline CoQ10 for Dogs and Cats: This supplement is of high quality as it uses natural CoQ10 (as opposed to synthetics which are made with Toluene).
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-03-2015, 09:27 PM
A very quick google on some of this stuff shows its not for sale in the UK and sooooo expensive toi buy from the USA.
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-03-2015, 12:25 AM
I give up, I cant take this all in, Im totally frazzled
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-03-2015, 02:35 AM
I am sorry you're going through all this, but you did very good by switching vets. Especially with a condition like epilepsy, it is extremely important that your vet works closely with you, and if you don't have a firm trusting relationship with them then you need to get out of there and find someone you can work with. You're the one who knows Harvey best. You're the one who sees what's going wrong and who understands his moods. You need a vet who gets that. We have been unbelievably lucky: I signed up with our current vet mostly because I didn't have a car and needed a place to which I could walk. Fifteen years later and I wouldn't dream of changing. I hope your new vet will be more attentive and careful!

I second Meg's suggestion about the diary. I did the same thing, and it was of real help to our vet. Write down anything and everything that might have contributed: did he eat anything weird? Was there a strange noise in the street? Did something upset him, like some person lunging at him for an unwelcome pet? Was there a weird smell in the air? Did you use a different floor cleaner? Anything, anything at all, will be helpful to them. The more information you can supply, the better. Do you have a smartphone, or can you borrow one, or a digital camera? It would help to videoHarvey while he's having one of these episodes or even to take pictures when he's not at his best so they can see what's up more clearly.

Don't worry about the supplements. Some may help, but for the most part none have been proven to work. Dogs, unlike humans, can make their own vitamin C, so unless digestion is seriously compromised, you shouldn't need to supplement that. Some supplements are absolutely to be avoided. Calcium/Vitamin D supplements formulated for humans can be toxic to dogs. Other good vitamins are easily obtained through normal foods: dark green veggies such as kale and broccoli are highly nutritious in terms of vitamins and minerals (though will cause fartage); sardines and pilchards, among other oily fishes, contain a wealth of omega-3 oils and are cheap as muck, and delicious to most dogs. Also, it is not true that dogs can't break down plants in their digestive systems. Some veggies, yes, are difficult, but dogs can eat many fruits and vegetables without any problems at all. Carrots and apples are firm favourites with mine. No grapes, though-- they are toxic, and avocadoes should not be given to any animal that isn't a human, as far as I can gather. Things like squashes, green beans, sweet potatoes, green veggies, carrots, beetroot, even lettuce-- these are all quite healthy. Brown rice and barley are good sources of carbohydrate and fibre. It's better he gets his vitamins from real food rather that supplements. Same goes for you!

Some things that have been linked to epileptic attacks in dogs are corn (maize) and soya. Try to avoid those. Both are indigestible to dogs and common irritants. It would be good to keep his salt and sugar intake low, too. Nice fish and veggies can help you with that.

It would be really good to have some bloodwork done, so that you can eliminate any upset in the organs, for your peace of mind if nothing else.

I know this is all terribly stressful for you. Believe me, I've been there and so have so many people on this forum. We're here for you. You are doing so well by Harvey. Will you please give him a kiss on the snoot for me?
Page 8 of 62 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 58 > Last »