View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TheLovableLab57
New Member!
Female 

14-04-2015, 04:26 PM

Could Inhalent Allergies Cause Vomiting?

My Labrador has had some issues with pollen count being very high in my region and I have got the itchiness and inflammation under control but when he was reacting severely to the pollen he has begun puking and usually it would only be once or a couple times a day. He hasn't vomited in 2 days and has been on Benadryl but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with inhalant allergies causing digestive issues and vomiting. thank you for taking the time to read this.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-04-2015, 05:49 PM
Hello Kayleen and welcome

I suppose the pollen could be an irritant to the throat causing and retching which can lead to vomiting.

Has your dog had Benadryl before, it too can cause vomiting.
If there is no vomiting now I would not worry too much
Meg
Supervisor

14-04-2015, 05:58 PM
Kayleen I can not vouch for this scientifically but it has been suggested that honey from local pollen may help.

You would need honey produced locally within three miles of where you live (the bees collecting area) and give your dog a tiny amount in some warm water when he is coughing. At least it will do no harm and may help to stop him retching.
TheLovableLab57
New Member!
Female 

14-04-2015, 06:18 PM
Thank you for your replies (: I gave him the Benadryl after the vomiting had occurred so I don't think that it is the cause. Hopefully his vomiting spells are over and stay gone, other wise a visit to the vet for the pooch . I have been looking up natural remedies to help him and I am going to try the honey meg. I don't want to have to put him on steroids and injections if I can avoid that. Thanks again
Meg
Supervisor

14-04-2015, 06:21 PM
Kayleen when the pollen count is high you have been out for a walk it is a good idea to wash his feet and muzzle in clean water so he is not inhaling so much pollen when laying with head on paws.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-04-2015, 06:37 PM
Hi Kayleen, and welcome!

I don't know what may be the case with your own dog, but I do know from personal experience that allergies, and any bronchial infection, can indeed cause nausea and vomiting. At least, it certainly does so in me. Generally it's a question of there being an over-excess of gunk in my throat and attendant bits, and it being too thick to cough it out. Cue blocked throat, gagging, retching, vomiting, and associated pain from all the muscles doing all that stuff they aren't normally supposed to be doing. Blecch! Sounds like fun, yeah? Yeah.

A steam humidifier will help-- not only will the steam help loosen any too-thick gunk, the extra humidity in the air will fix pollen and send it right to the floor where you can hoover it up. A spritzer bottle, like a regular plant sprayer, will do the same thing to get floaty junk out of the air. Just make sure that you aren't encouraging any mould or fungus that might be lurking. It might be a good idea to eliminate any cleaning products that have strong perfumes to them-- they're common allergens and irritants, and anyway, plain old baking soda works just as well and scattered on a carpet will suck out all manner of evils. Vinegar is a great cleaner too-- kills almost every nasty and is completely non-toxic and non-irritating. Well, mostly. I wouldn't recommend soaking your face in it.

Good luck to you!
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-04-2015, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Strangechilde View Post
Vinegar is a great cleaner too-- kills almost every nasty and is completely non-toxic and non-irritating. Well, mostly. I wouldn't recommend soaking your face in it.

Good luck to you!
You do paint a lovely picture in the first half of your post, but this last bit nearly made choke on my tea!

In theory he could be ingesting the pollen and it could be irritating his stomach and causing the vomiting. As others have said irritating his throat could also be the cause.
Him not vomiting in the past 2 days is good, shows that it was either a bug that passed or you have it under control. Either way I hope it stays gone.

You probably don't need to know this or already do but:
If the allergies are just due to seasonal pollen it might be worth trying different antihistamines, we tried a few with Cookie. Also if you discuss it with your vet they can advise regarding the dosage. I thought being smaller Cookie would have a smaller dose than recommended on the packet but actually he could have way more. He had double the dose 3 times a day at his worst and we reduced it back. We also went with the immunotherapy (the injections) and they really helped, but his allergies were all year round and he would make himself bleed with scratching. Less of two evils and all that.

Some great advice regarding trying the local honey and the humidifier though. And yes don't stick your face in vinegar! Oh Strangechilde!!