Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-12-2012, 03:43 PM

My washing machine has gremlins

My washing machine has never been any trouble but has been driving me nuts for the past month or so, it keeps showing various faults that either don't even show up in the handbook or if they do show no relevance to the fault. I usually manage to wipe it and persuade it to do the washing and stop being a drama queen. Yesterday it decided to stop mid cycle and the door lock light was flashing where as normally it would be a steady light while the cycle is in progress. I guess it thinks the door isn't locked but it is, cos I can't open it unless I turn the machine off and wait for ages. I eventually cured the thing and persuaded it to finish the cycle but it refused to play ball and start a new cycle for the next load. So I decided to look on line for a new machine with quick delivery. I get withdrawal symptoms if I can't get the washing done. After many false starts promising next day delivery and when you put your post code in next day turns out to be anything from the 4th of January to the 11th of January. I found appliances online and they had the machine I was interested in and it was in stock and available for next day delivery and they actually meant next day as in today. I placed the order at around 5.30 yesterday and for the princely sum of £9.99 was guaranteed delivery between 8-6 today. They sent me a text at 7am this morning updating the delivery slot to between 2-6 today, they followed that up with a phone call to my landline with the same info but said to make sure I track it online. I had a look a bit later this morning and the delivery slot had been updated again to between 3.30-5.30pm. I had a phone call to my mobile at 2.45 from the driver saying he was running a bit early and would be with me within half an hour and he arrived, delivered new washing machine and tumble dryer at 3.10pm. Why can't all deliveries be so well informed, so far I'm well impressed. Probably won't work now I'll find out tomorrow when the OH installs it.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Excellent Service

Mine had a broken drum a few months back,sounded awful,but it was all sorted in 4 days,speaking of washing I have tons of it to do,haven't done any over Christmas and with the stuff going on here haven't got round to doing any,need to have a good go at it tomorrow
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2012, 04:25 PM
What a pleasant change in this day and age, and I've had ONE experience similar to this recently when purchasing another recliner from Harveys. Not only was it here in 2 days instead of 6/8 weeks, but the phone calls and messages I got were quite incredible keeping me up to date with delivery times within the last 20 mins!. I'm sure this is down to the particular logistics they use rather than the company themselves, but it's good to know there are still such efficient companies about for when we need something and quick.

Did you get the direct drive washing machine Trouble? My current one came with the house (but of course I bought it separately) and I've never experienced anything quite like it in a washing machine, and I strongly suspect it will go on for many, many years, it's certainly a cut above anything I've ever experienced with washing machines and I've had a few over the years.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Grrrrr....my washer is driving me nuts, It is again showing the filter needs cleaning, only did it around 4 weeks ago, I am sure it is the vetbed I am washing, and can't change that at the moment really. How come my Indesit coped with everything and never needed the filter emptying?
I am too tired to faff about with it now, and got the babies in the kitchen, and there will be a flood if the last time is anything to go by, leaving it till tomorrow.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

30-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Blimey a washing machine that goes on for many years now that would be a novelty. Tbh I can't remember how old this one was probably about 3 years maybe 4. Iain insists we've had 3 washing machines and tumble dryers in 8 years but he can't remember diddly so I'm none the wiser. I clean my filter out every week as a matter of routine, every time I wash the dogs beds I clean the filter and put an empty wash on. It's another machine with a brain gawd help me, why the f*** do machines need to think, why can't they just do what we tell em to. I like deciding how long I want it to wash for and at what temperature, it's always the brain that lets them down. I've even bought a tumble dryer that thinks for itself, I'm going to become obsolete at this rate. Just got to train them to sort and load the washing and we'll be laughing.
Old Indesits were brilliant workhorses TW but modern ones seem to be cr@p.
My tumble dryers always get so damn noisy so although they still work I can't stand the racket.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-12-2012, 06:09 PM
Well I wanted an LG washer soooo much, now I am glad I just bought a recon one as at least I haven't spent nearly £1000 on one only to find out it thinks it knows better than me. My LG phone isn't doing very well either, this MacAir is going on ebay then I'm getting myself another Sony mobile, can't believe Indesits are going the same way as well Like you I want to choose what wash I want at what spin speed and at what temperature, not rocket science really, like you say we will soon be obsolete at this rate
Meg
Supervisor

30-12-2012, 06:19 PM
That was good service Trouble . I had similar service from Boots when I bought a washing machine from them a few months ago to replace my ancient Bosch.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

30-12-2012, 06:19 PM
My only use is to kick the machine when it goes wrong yet again, I spent most of yesterday doing one load of washing. It stopped with only 8 minutes to go which it eventually finished after about 2 hours of negotiation. Bluntly refused to do another load no matter how much I coaxed it.
I bought my son a Samsung washer/dryer because it had rave reviews, the first one when installed leaked all over the floor, took it out had a good look and it had loads of pin holes in the outlet hose right at the base. Took a week to replace and the replacement went wrong within a couple of months. Waited 10 days for an engineer who fixed it in 5 minutes and it went wrong the next day. Waited another 10 days for an engineer who finally fixed it and it's been problem free since but it's a worry when they go wrong straight out of the box. I wanted a Miele but Iain's a tight wad and claimed I'd still break it. It's always me that breaks all the domestic appliances with my heavy handedness according to him, funnily enough of course they go wrong when I'm using them cos I'm the only one who ever uses them. It'll be the dishwasher next
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2012, 06:22 PM
I can't remember apart from one,having one that has lasted longer than 3 years

My last one blew up 3 days before Xmas last year,it was a nightmare every few months the repair guy was here,so much so we were on first name terms the new one arrived xmas eve but we had frozen pipes so couldn't use it!
The one I currently have is an Indiset and I must admit I do like it especially the 15 min wash which is great for just freshening up laundry which isn't really dirty but needs a wash

Dryers I don't seem to have many issues with
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2012, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Well I wanted an LG washer soooo much, now I am glad I just bought a recon one as at least I haven't spent nearly £1000 on one only to find out it thinks it knows better than me. My LG phone isn't doing very well either, this MacAir is going on ebay then I'm getting myself another Sony mobile, can't believe Indesits are going the same way as well Like you I want to choose what wash I want at what spin speed and at what temperature, not rocket science really, like you say we will soon be obsolete at this rate
That's what I like about this LG direct drive one, it lets ME choose. All the blingy lights come on, I turn the dial till the light stops at the wash I want, and then I have a choice of no less than SIX spin speeds up to 1400 , a choice of SIX temperature settings from cold right up to 96 deg, and then a choice of something else at the end which I've forgotten without going to look! No other washing machine gives you that, not even the old Indiset, and I wouldn't let another one of those ever come thru my doorway again after the last one that went wrong 6 times in 6 months with the same problems and yet Comet kept repairing it instead of just giving me a new one coz it was under guarantee. Never again did I buy Indiset, I went for Hotpoint and they were good, my last went lasted for about 5 years without a single problem. This one will last me 10.....without a problem I just know it!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >