Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MollyMutt
New Member!
Female 

24-08-2011, 08:55 AM

Insureance Quote- Any Good

I know this subject hs probably been done to death but I am looking for some advice. Rather naughtily Molly has not been insured for the last fours years but i think it is about time I bucked up my ideas and sorted it out.

Now I have looked onb hundreds of direct sites and gone through so many "compair" sites that is unreal. Obviously I want to best possible cover for her and I found the following and am looking for a second (and third, fourth, fifth.....opition).

Cover Level Platinum

Vet Fees up to £7,500**

12 month / per year Unlimited ˆ

Death from illness ± £1,500

Death from accident £1,500

3rd party liability £2m

Accidental Damage £500

Advertising & Reward £1,500

Boarding fees £1,500

Theft / straying £1,500

Holiday cancellation £5,000

Excess(voluntary + compulsory) £175.00

Bereavement Counselling Yes

Pet Legal Yes

Pet Minders Yes

Healthcare away from home Helpline Yes

Pay Vet Direct Yes

Overseas travel † 12 months

Quarantine costs † £1,500

Loss of PETS Passport £250

Repeat Tick and Tapeworm Treatment £1,000

Emergency Expenses Abroad £1,000

I am looking at the platinum level which would mean I would pay £19.09 per month, but wondered what people thought about what was being offered (and yes I know I have left' out who the insurance is with).
drewed
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Price comparison site usually are the best way of finding this out
MollyMutt
New Member!
Female 

24-08-2011, 09:28 AM
I know and that is where I found this info. Whilst they are good for comparing I am wondering whether what is offered here is good or not. The price per month is not so much of the issue more that whether my dog is getting good cover or not.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2011, 09:49 AM
Good prices are relative, so many factors affect it, the big ones being breed and age of the dog as well as your postcode.
I pay roughly £20 a month for Casper (pure GSD) and £15 for Kiki ('large crossbreed') with Axa at the moment, but I know from doing quotes with a friend's postcode as a test, when I move then I will probably pay half that! It's because I live in the South East, near London, where everything is more expensive. But in relation to other policies and the cover I get, those prices are a good price IMO.
I think you just need to get as many quotes on as many price comparison and individual websites as possible and decide which is best - compare them to each other, not to other people's quotes, because your dogs/location aren't really comparable.

As for whether the cover is good, again, compare what each company offers. £7500 is a pretty reasonable cover - many companies only offer £2000 or so. Look at what problems your breed of dog is prone to and how much treatment costs - a small terrier isn't going to cost as much as a large GSD, for example, but some health conditions can easily rack up thousands of pounds worth of bills in a relatively short amount of time, you need to try to judge how much cover you feel you'll need. I certainly wouldn't go for anything less than £6000 personally because my breeds are prone to hip problems, for example, which can easily cost £2000 a go for a hip replacement, plus followup care. I don't really know if Patterdales are prone to any particular problems but I know they can end up getting themselves in trouble with their terrier instincts so consider things like emergency operations for a sudden encounter with some barbed wire on a quiet Sunday morning, for example.