View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-08-2011, 12:32 PM
You know, in some ways a Great Dane takes up less room in the house than a much smaller dog, just by virtue of the fact that they're so inactive indoors. They can curl themselves up quite small and they're not bouncing around all over the house all day like some dogs. So in that sense, a lot of them you won't even know they're there. Unless you have a Luke...who must follow you everywhere lol. But even then if I think about it, I find him less "in the way" than Kayla. I'm always tripping over her, she darts in front of you while you walk, or going up and down stairs. (Luke tells her off for this and if he's on the stairs with me he will literally body block her and hold her until I get down the stairs) He does take up most of the bed. And the couch IS his...but honestly, though it seems they would, they do not need a lot of room at all.
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I love the concept of having something very glamourous and "posey" -an Afghan hound. I could imagine walking down the street with one on a lead with all its hair beautifully in place and everyone gazing admiringly at it!
Trust me when I tell ya, that wears off REAL fast. When you can't go five feet out your door without crowds of people swarming you and your dog like flies on crap...it gets old. The non stop repeated comments, the dumb questions, the way the public seems to assume that because your dog is rare or big you somehow OWE them the right and opportunity to manhandle your dog, even if said dog doesn't want to be bothered....yeah...it sucks. You get to the point where you wish you had an invisible bubble around you so that you and your dog can actually go for a walk, in peace. But I get what you're saying...it's nice. For the first week
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by Jenn~n~Luke View Post
Trust me when I tell ya, that wears off REAL fast. When you can't go five feet out your door without crowds of people swarming you and your dog like flies on crap...it gets old. The non stop repeated comments, the dumb questions, the way the public seems to assume that because your dog is rare or big you somehow OWE them the right and opportunity to manhandle your dog, even if said dog doesn't want to be bothered....yeah...it sucks. You get to the point where you wish you had an invisible bubble around you so that you and your dog can actually go for a walk, in peace. But I get what you're saying...it's nice. For the first week
Oh I take your point!

I get tired of people asking "Is it a Poodle?Schnauzer/Scottie/Labradoodle? with mine!
Even the judge at yesterday's dog show said to me what a nice Schnauzer I had!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 02:48 PM
one breed i think i wont actually own, and its a shame because i absolutely LOVE them, always have, and always will do is the bulldog.

i just can not justify paying £2000 for a dog, that is then plagued with health problems (i know not all of them are, but the majority have breathing problems) they are just such high maintenance with having to clean in between wrinkles every day, only being ablt to walk when its not too warm or too cold, and the fact they cant walk very far without getting tired. that dog would just never fit in, id have to leave it at home while i went on a trek with others, and id hate to do that.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
one breed i think i wont actually own, and its a shame because i absolutely LOVE them, always have, and always will do is the bulldog.

i just can not justify paying £2000 for a dog, that is then plagued with health problems (i know not all of them are, but the majority have breathing problems) they are just such high maintenance with having to clean in between wrinkles every day, only being ablt to walk when its not too warm or too cold, and the fact they cant walk very far without getting tired. that dog would just never fit in, id have to leave it at home while i went on a trek with others, and id hate to do that.
There were about half a dozen Bulldogs at the show we attended yesterday. There was one which I was scared of as it was so ugly poor thing-you couldn't see its eyes as it had so many deep wrinkles and it was severely overweight and made a constant noise that made it sound like Darth Vader having an asthma attack. I think it is so cruel to design a dog that has so many health problems like this and cannot live a normal life in my opinion.

My manager's brother bought a Bulldog puppy and has sepnt no end from the word go with it as it needed so many operations for its various health problems.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Anything that slobbers would be almost impossible for me to deal with, I have a bit of a phobia about slime on my hands! I love DDBs, Bullmastiffs etc but it just wouldn't work!

I also love giant breeds, but the short age span puts me off. I love IWs, but with an average age span of 7 I'd be too heart broken. I'd end up going for a Deerhound or Anatolian instead I think!
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-08-2011, 09:48 PM
I have a new one ...
Moscow watchdog..or московская сторожевая if you will :P

Way to much hair to lose ...

x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post