View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Siberian Huskies and Alaskan Malamutes - love the look of them, love their characters and love meeting the ones belonging to friends, really love it. However, I don't have the right environment for these kind of breeds and, as such, it would be very selfish of me to own them.
Cadi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Snow lion Tibetan Mastiff ..
Oh my god, they're gorgeous! I've never seen them look like that before - they really do look like lions!

...Maintenance on all that fur must be somethin' alright.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I think most of the giant breeds are beautiful gentle dogs, but I don't think I would ever have one. Their overall size would be impractical for me (house/car considerations), the grooming involved for many of the giants is quite high & their short life expectancy is off putting. They also based on what I have seen tend to be quite lazy and inactive and I prefer dogs with a bit of go in them. I would imagine that food, vet bills, insurance, etc., would also be higher than a more 'average' sized dog.
A lot of the large sighthounds are mainly leg and fold up quite a lot
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2011, 10:05 PM
I love the concept of having something very glamourous and "posey" -an Afghan hound. I could imagine walking down the street with one on a lead with all its hair beautifully in place and everyone gazing admiringly at it!

Reality would be I could not cope with the sheer amount of grooming for the dog to stay looking show-stoppingly gorgeous and I also could not handle the lack of motivation for obedience/training.
WheatenDaneMom
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-08-2011, 11:47 PM
I was 21 years old and had not even owned a dog myself, just raised around family dogs. I shouldn't have been put in that situation to begin with and I've always been sad about it.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 12:41 AM
I love the giant breeds but don't have the space for a Dane sized dog. Although I have space for breeds such as Newfies and those that are not quite as tall as a Dane (my friend had a Newfie who was very big for the breed but still not as tall as a Dane) I don't like the amount of slobber they produce nor the amount fo fur that needs proper grooming.

I'll settle for gazing longingly at someone else's!
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Great dane, they just take up so much room!
Dogs like boxers, staffs, rotties, dobies I like meeting but they're not for me.
Also dogs with really long/thick hair, Teg has more than enough hair for me!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 11:32 AM
I like 'em big and fluffy, so for me, a Leo, a newfie, or a bernese, always loved them, but yesterday, I met a 6 month old little cockerpoo up at my van yesterday as the guests were leaving, and I just couldn't stop playing with him, he was not only full of fun, but a gorgeous little bundle of fur, so he's on my list too even though he wasn't big
malwhit
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-08-2011, 11:42 AM
I love the look of the Akita - especially the darker ones.
I would never own one as I like my dogs to be dog-friendly and able to be let off the lead
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 11:52 AM
I like large, hairy breeds such as Bernese MD's, Leonbergers, Pyrenean MD's, Tibetan Mastiffs, Newfoundlands etc but the practicality of such breeds puts me off such as space, cost of insurance, health issues, grooming needs etc. They are also low energy and just wouldnt suit the kind of activities I like to do with my dogs. I like dogs with energy, drive and a desire to work.

I also like Northern breeds but I want my dogs to be able to have lots of free running, not be confined to a lead for the rest of their lives. Plus, it's a bit hard to compete in WT or agility if the dog is on a lead...
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >