Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
You can get the breed record suppliment from the KC. Most breed clubs give stand space free to breed rescue. They usually use it to sell stuff to raise money.
I believe also that National Terrier gives free stand space to rescue.
Are you working with scottish staffordshire bull terrier rescue?

Just because they are KC registered does not mean they are responsible breeder, they just know they can ask a higher price. Again from the BRS 40% are now the colour blue and they will not be the show breeders.
No we have recently set up our own rescue Staffordshire Rescue Scotland with the priority being reeducating neutering and training, with rehoming obviously being involved in that too. However we are inundated with rehoming requests which makes it difficult to do all the other stuff. We have a stand at Love Pets Scotland which we will hopefully be able to use to promote the staffie and get some rehomed! We do not have kennels so small operation at moment but already inundated as there are only the two rescues here breed specific for Scotland. We also have to turn away crosses as we simply cannot take them.

I know exactly where Claire is coming from as until you are there seeing the ones you either cannot help or helping the ones you can only to be replaced by another 5 the next day. It's just an impossible task, and then hearing of people still breeding. It breaks our hearts
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
I just really struggle with the fact anyone who wants a Staffie would go to a breeder full stop. A family pet (which was mentioned before) doesn't need to be reaching a certain standard looks wise, and Staffies are available in rescue from tiny pups to older dogs.

The majority of people obtaining a Staff are not doing it for show purposes so it wipes out the 'must meet the standard' argument. Many standards theses days are not for the good of the dog anyway and so a healthier version is generally the not 'standard' dog.
So who is to blame the breeder or the puppy buyer. And I don't buy that the to standard SBTs are not as healthy as the rescues dogs or those that have just been bred by BYB, that is just propaganda spread by some people. BYB support that propaganda as do people who breed crosses to supply a market wether it is pooches or status dog.
Do the rescues health test those little pups before they re home them.
Do rescues take responsibility if one of the dogs they have re homed goes on to suffer with L2 Hga or HC.
Now I am not critical of the rescues for not health testing but I will not accept throw away remarks that the not standard dog is healthier.
If you are going to share your life with a dog for many years you should be able to get the one you want with the moral police coming after you.
Years ago I got turned down for a rescue stafford because I already had a Stafford, so I went out and bought one from a breeder and thats when I started showing, I still help out that rescue. So rescue not for everyone.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
No we have recently set up our own rescue Staffordshire Rescue Scotland with the priority being reeducating neutering and training, with rehoming obviously being involved in that too. However we are inundated with rehoming requests which makes it difficult to do all the other stuff. We have a stand at Love Pets Scotland which we will hopefully be able to use to promote the staffie and get some rehomed! We do not have kennels so small operation at moment but already inundated as there are only the two rescues here breed specific for Scotland. We also have to turn away crosses as we simply cannot take them.

I know exactly where Claire is coming from as until you are there seeing the ones you either cannot help or helping the ones you can only to be replaced by another 5 the next day. It's just an impossible task, and then hearing of people still breeding. It breaks our hearts
Yes it does break your heart but are you a rescue or a rehoming service. I have had people in tears on the phone to me because their boyfriend or girl friend has told them get shut of the dog or we are finnished. If you don't come and get this dog now its dead. Heard it all.
Until something is done to make people responsible for the pups they breed it will only get worse. There is no consequence to breeding and dumping and until there is you will be dissapearing under a heap of other peoples cast off dogs.
My point is some people do take responsibility for the pups they breed they are not the problem.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Excellent post I have to agree and I am pretty sure there is a suitable SBT for anyone no matter what they choose to do with it in several rescues in the U.K. Leadstaffs I am pleased to see that breeders and breed shows are happy to help out rescues in the areas you mentioned. I think, and from the experiences I have knowledge of its not nearly as good in Scotland. Most breeders don't care and will have nothing to do with pups that end up in rescue and will have no input in rehoming pups or dogs produced by their dogs. This is of course where a scheme like car regestration would help and breeders could and should be held accountable for any dogs they produce with, as someone suggested non compliance being rewarded with a hefty fine which could go to rescues. There has to be consequences to actions and that does not happen at the minute.
I agree with being held accountable for pups. You only have one breed club in Scotland and I am pretty sure they work very closely with SSBTR. Which would suggest to me that the breeders are people who are breeding for money only because I know the show breeders do support rescue.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 02:40 PM
I think a lot of the problem is that many people think that rescue dogs come with all sorts of problems, and true some do, but there are many perfect dogs, and with a breed like a Staff there are many great ones in rescue, some don't think, they go straight to BYB, all the while proclaiming they love the breed, some breed from dogs because they look 'special' not taking time to notice that there are many who look simalar up and down the country. Some think that rescue dogs are rejects, when in fact they are there as they were owned by rejects. I personally don't think there are a lot of people who couldn't find their ideal dog in rescue, although I will say that there is one breed close to my heart that one day I will buy a puppy, and thats a Deerhound, as I've not heard of them really being in rescue, but I just don't see how personally I could justify putting money in someones hand for a dog thats being pts in their hundreds for no real reason
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
I agree with being held accountable for pups. You only have one breed club in Scotland and I am pretty sure they work very closely with SSBTR. Which would suggest to me that the breeders are people who are breeding for money only because I know the show breeders do support rescue.
Not that closely. In my experience. I used to volunteer for SSBTR as did the rest of our committee
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I think a lot of the problem is that many people think that rescue dogs come with all sorts of problems, and true some do, but there are many perfect dogs, and with a breed like a Staff there are many great ones in rescue, some don't think, they go straight to BYB, all the while proclaiming they love the breed, some breed from dogs because they look 'special' not taking time to notice that there are many who look simalar up and down the country. Some think that rescue dogs are rejects, when in fact they are there as they were owned by rejects. I personally don't think there are a lot of people who couldn't find their ideal dog in rescue, although I will say that there is one breed close to my heart that one day I will buy a puppy, and thats a Deerhound, as I've not heard of them really being in rescue, but I just don't see how personally I could justify putting money in someones hand for a dog thats being pts in their hundreds for no real reason
Every breed has a rescue.
I for one am not saying people should go to BYB. I bought a stafford after rescue said no because I already had a Stafford in my home. Now should I be told off for going and buying one when so many are being put to sleep even though I couldn't have one of them should I have gone and got a different breed.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
Not that closely. In my experience. I used to volunteer for SSBTR as did the rest of our committee
My mistake then, do then no longer have a stand at their shows.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Someone's already sent me info about Deeries and beat ya too it what you did was your choice, personally I would looked at any rescue until I had exhausted all options if I'm honest as if I wanted a rescue dog, well Im more stubborn then a EBT when I need to be some rescues do have strict rules but unfornatly there are Staffs in so many rescues I would say I would be surprised if none would allow a responsible owner to have a dog.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 03:45 PM
The rescue was a breed rescue and maybe they were right.
Yes it was my choice and sometimes people forget that everyone has choice so they can do what they want.

I personally think that is the way it should be. What I would change is that if you breed you have a responsability to those pups and if the law has to be used for some people then that is how it should be. Rescue will never get better until those that churn pups out with no thought and responsibility are brought to task. I am all for that.
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >