View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 09:41 AM
The bottom line is that micro chipping isn't foolproof. People move, records don't get updated and there are currently no laws in place to enforce responsibility for dogs once sold on.

A blanket ban on Joe Public breeding Staffies could be a start. Large fines that go to breed specific rescues therefore helping the problem in that way too, could be one way of managing this problem.

Not everyone is honest and people will lie to get what they want. Because the Staffie is sadly the dog of choice for many without morals, people will lie to rescue centres and breeders alike to get a dog. The fact some rescues are rehoming un-neutered/spayed dogs is another issue that needs addressing. I met a woman the other day with a Lurcher she'd had for 18 months. He is entire and although she said she was holding off on having him done because of behavioural issues, she also said the rescue had not chased her up to see if the dog had been done.

68 Staffie or Staffie crosses are killed in this country every day on average. Many of these dogs would have started life with a so called 'responsible' breeder.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 09:47 AM
It is not just in my area is is also in the north east, midlands, Leicester and the south of england.
Last year an other forum I go on that has a high show count raise a lot if money selling calenders. sponser walks and facilitated online auctions for stafford rescue. I remember they needed to transport two staffords way up north and everyone tipped in the money to pay petrol and formed a transport chain to move these dogs.

I know of a lot of people who are just as responsible as I am with their dogs and pups and they still work constantly for rescue.

The last time I physically looked in a rescue was when I picked up a Stafford in an emergency from the police station to get it before the RSPCA kept it over night and took it to the rescue that had a couple of kennels allocated to breed rescue the next day.

To say that the clubs and show people don't support rescue shows a bigger lack of understanding of whats going on than I am being accused of.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
The bottom line is that micro chipping isn't foolproof. People move, records don't get updated and there are currently no laws in place to enforce responsibility for dogs once sold on.

A blanket ban on Joe Public breeding Staffies could be a start. Large fines that go to breed specific rescues therefore helping the problem in that way too, could be one way of managing this problem.

Not everyone is honest and people will lie to get what they want. Because the Staffie is sadly the dog of choice for many without morals, people will lie to rescue centres and breeders alike to get a dog. The fact some rescues are rehoming un-neutered/spayed dogs is another issue that needs addressing. I met a woman the other day with a Lurcher she'd had for 18 months. He is entire and although she said she was holding off on having him done because of behavioural issues, she also said the rescue had not chased her up to see if the dog had been done.

68 Staffie or Staffie crosses are killed in this country every day on average. Many of these dogs would have started life with a so called 'responsible' breeder.
Compulsary micro chipping and compulsary notification of new owner like you do with cars would require a change in the law as would a blanket ban of breeding but the comusory microchipping would have more chance of success because responsible people would support that and do it anway.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
It is not just in my area is is also in the north east, midlands, Leicester and the south of england.
Last year an other forum I go on that has a high show count raise a lot if money selling calenders. sponser walks and facilitated online auctions for stafford rescue. I remember they needed to transport two staffords way up north and everyone tipped in the money to pay petrol and formed a transport chain to move these dogs.

I know of a lot of people who are just as responsible as I am with their dogs and pups and they still work constantly for rescue.

The last time I physically looked in a rescue was when I picked up a Stafford in an emergency from the police station to get it before the RSPCA kept it over night and took it to the rescue that had a couple of kennels allocated to breed rescue the next day.

To say that the clubs and show people don't support rescue shows a bigger lack of understanding of whats going on than I am being accused of.
I am not accusing YOU personally of anything, you haven't bred for 4 years.

I just don't know what the answers are. I just want to see something change dramatically and it hasnt and isn't looking likely at the moment.

We keep saying "oh but responsible people will do it but the others won't" they need some consequences to make them stop. Currently there are none.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 10:15 AM
Thats why I am advocating complusary microchipping of pups before they leave home and breeder details kept on file.
Plus a legal obligation to inform of new owner details regardless of dogs age when rehomed.

Until you can prove ownership you can not make people responsible.
Their will be people who will break the law as always but it is a start.

The reason I have not bred is not because of the rescue situation but because I know in the future it would be too difficult to look after my own, if I could I would still breed my healthy, health tested good breed example bitch.
At 4 years of age time is running out for her anyway I couldn't wait any longer if I wanted to breed from her.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 10:26 AM
I just feel for dogs like Cleo, dogs at a year old have had a litter and is already left in rescue, and dogs like Sky, at least two litters by the age of three, left in rescue, these dogs to many are basically livestock, used for breeding then got rid of by any means possible the lucky ones get to rescue, the real lucky ones go to a no kill rescue, and this is happening up and down the country, so much so I doubt that theres not a Staffie for anyone in a rescue shelter somewhere, and I think with all breeds before breeding people should think about numbers in rescue, and whilst thinking about that it should go with health and temperment to determine whether they should breed, and with breeders of staffords with the amount dying each year responsible breeders shouldn't be breeding many litters, and I think that Staffies and their crosses should be seen as dogs to more people rather then livestock, they deserve respect, and need any help they can to stop people breeding them with no thought.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Not sure what the answer is,but it's clear something does need to be done.

I haven't bred a litter for 11 years,I don't have my dog at stud,as I can't justify breeding from him even though he would produce good quality pups.

I rehomed Kizzy myself and insisted her new owners had her spayed when she was old enough,I couldn't enforce this though but they did do as we requested.
I had lots of enquires when I was rehoming her but most were unsuitable.

Maybe it would be a good idea to withold KC papers until the pups in question are neutered and perhaps breeders would be willing to give the owners a cash incentive of a certain amount of money when they prove they are neutered if they are going to pet homes.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Not sure what the answer is,but it's clear something does need to be done.

I haven't bred a litter for 11 years,I don't have my dog at stud,as I can't justify breeding from him even though he would produce good quality pups.

I rehomed Kizzy myself and insisted her new owners had her spayed when she was old enough,I couldn't enforce this though but they did do as we requested.
I had lots of enquires when I was rehoming her but most were unsuitable.

Maybe it would be a good idea to withold KC papers until the pups in question are neutered and perhaps breeders would be willing to give the owners a cash incentive of a certain amount of money when they prove they are neutered if they are going to pet homes.
I endorse all my pups before going to new homes and put in writing the circumstances under which I would lift them.
I have only had one owner come back to me as they were considering breeding their bitch.
She was herediterily clear for L2 Hga and HC so I said get her eye tested for PHPV and PPSC and we will talk. I sent them a list of vets who did those eye tests.
We had a long conversation and they decided not to breed.
I really feel I would be a hypocrite if I am telling new puppy owners they must spay while I am breeding.
Because I question and educate before they get one of my pups they tend to do it anyway as they just want a family pet. That has been my experience anyway.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
Thats why I am advocating complusary microchipping of pups before they leave home and breeder details kept on file.
Plus a legal obligation to inform of new owner details regardless of dogs age when rehomed.

Until you can prove ownership you can not make people responsible.
Their will be people who will break the law as always but it is a start.

The reason I have not bred is not because of the rescue situation but because I know in the future it would be too difficult to look after my own, if I could I would still breed my healthy, health tested good breed example bitch.
At 4 years of age time is running out for her anyway I couldn't wait any longer if I wanted to breed from her.
I guess that's what I cannot understand why you would feel a NEED to breed your bitch?

Surely that is part of the problem? Because you have obviously thought about it but what of the pet home your pu went to who then thought the same?
Did you microchip your pups to you?So that you are still aware of where they are etc. That's what we do now in Rescue so that we get notified if that dog turns up somewhere it shouldn't etc.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 10:54 AM
I would need to breed from her if I wanted to stay active in the show ring. I would need my next generation to show.

I am not an active Stafford shower anymore, I do show my Lakelands and I did have a litter this year of Lakelands so I am still breeding.

I think I posted some info and we posted at the same time.
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »