Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Harley & Me
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-09-2010, 12:14 AM

CSJ food for a puppy question

Hi there,

After hearing a lot about CSJ and how recommended it was I thought I would look into it as I was doing research for my future puppy that we are getting next year.

I looked on CSJ's website and was very impressed and also looked at the food products available and I have a question I am hoping someone might be able to help me with (as I know quite a few members feed this food to their dogs) .

I have always been in the opinion that a puppy, for its first year should have a regular wet food diet. I am fine with a dry only diet but have always felt this was better once they had reached adulthood.

So my question is, as CSJ does not do wet food and only dry; Have any of you brought up your puppy exclusively on a dry CSJ diet? and has your puppy been OK with this and do you think is OK for a puppy to be on dry only?

Any replies are welcome, I am very interested to hear from people who have fed their puppy on a CSJ diet especially.

I am also planning on getting our dog over to this food also as we want both of our dogs to be on the same brand of food, I am also thinking what he is currently on isn't meeting his needs so I am planning on changing him over ASAP to a CSJ diet.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me

Rose x
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2010, 05:47 AM
yes more or less! Zola is on CP27.
We have 5 dogs (all on CSJ)

As a tiny pup (6-12weeks) she had got milk or Bio Yog added in her am & midday meals & a 5th share of a small tin of meat (i share a baked bean sized tin of meat between all 5 dogs)

After 12weeks she was on dry CP27 for breakie & the same kibble & 5th share meat for her tea.

Shes now 7months (just) & since she was 6 months shes been on 3/4s CP27 & 1/4 CP21

Need to use the CP27 up & want her on CP21 later

Shes in fantastic nick, best coat out of all her litter mates
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Toby had the little champ for a while which we soaked when he was small, had no problems with it.
Harley & Me
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
yes more or less! Zola is on CP27.
We have 5 dogs (all on CSJ)

As a tiny pup (6-12weeks) she had got milk or Bio Yog added in her am & midday meals & a 5th share of a small tin of meat (i share a baked bean sized tin of meat between all 5 dogs)

After 12weeks she was on dry CP27 for breakie & the same kibble & 5th share meat for her tea.

Shes now 7months (just) & since she was 6 months shes been on 3/4s CP27 & 1/4 CP21

Need to use the CP27 up & want her on CP21 later

Shes in fantastic nick, best coat out of all her litter mates
Thank you for this advice, its much appreciated . So I assume you are trying to wean your pup onto CP21 as this is what you want her to be on as an adult/same as your other dogs?

I was looking into the CP27 as a choice for my puppy, as from what I see from CSJ's website this is premium quality and as I can afford it I think its the best one to go for.

So I have a few more questions in reply to yours;

1.) As you said till your puppy was 12 weeks you added some milk or bio youghart. Are puppies OK with dairy then? (I know for cats its not good as they are lactose intolerant) and with doing this how did you know how much to add? I would hate to give too much.

2.) Oh and re the can of meet that you gave her 1/5 of (I think I understood this correctly), are you meaning canned dog food or are you meaning something else? and if so can you give me some examples. Thank you

Thanks again for your help and advice, I think I have found the ideal food I was looking for and I think we'll go ahead with getting our adult dog on CSJ.

Rose x
Harley & Me
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by wallaroo View Post
Toby had the little champ for a while which we soaked when he was small, had no problems with it.
Thanks for letting me know I looked into this food and see their other puppy options you can also soak it whilst they are small so that is great.

I assume you choose this puppy food as its "kind on the pocket" but still excellent food? If you choose it for another reason I would love to know but if that is the reason then that is more than fine. Thank you very much for your help .
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 06:17 AM
Originally Posted by Harley & Me View Post
Thank you for this advice, its much appreciated . So I assume you are trying to wean your pup onto CP21 as this is what you want her to be on as an adult/same as your other dogs?

yep mine are on a variety to suit, flynns on cp21 , mav cp24, nell & lil on Champ

I was looking into the CP27 as a choice for my puppy, as from what I see from CSJ's website this is premium quality and as I can afford it I think its the best one to go for.

So I have a few more questions in reply to yours;

1.) As you said till your puppy was 12 weeks you added some milk or bio youghart. Are puppies OK with dairy then? (I know for cats its not good as they are lactose intolerant) and with doing this how did you know how much to add? I would hate to give too much.

Dogs are lactose intorlrant too, alledgedly, tbh ive never had any problem, zo was 6 weeks when i got her & the dairy really did help her digestion, although all the pups had a very bad reaction to a wormer before they left the breeder, i also fed csj dem bones, which are amazing on sensitive tums. in regards to the amounts, the goats milk was just covering the kibble & two spoonfuls(big) of bio yoghurt (collie pup)

2.) Oh and re the can of meet that you gave her 1/5 of (I think I understood this correctly), are you meaning canned dog food or are you meaning something else? and if so can you give me some examples. Thank you

yes normal canned food normally butchers

Thanks again for your help and advice, I think I have found the ideal food I was looking for and I think we'll go ahead with getting our adult dog on CSJ.

Rose x
its a good food, im very pleased. Dogs are in good Nick & good poos!
I do recommend it to my customers!
WarFlyball
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-09-2010, 06:47 AM
We have CP27 ready and waiting for when our pup comes home - as with Mishflynn the plan is to gradually swap over to CP21 when it gets a bit older. Our other dogs are on Fit and Fast and have CP24 when they are doing more in the summer - they have had a variety of the CSJ range and done well on all of it...
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 09:30 AM
My CSJ pup!

6 weeks-
6 months slideshow!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...t=d889f48d.pbw
Vickyd1987
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-09-2010, 08:07 PM
when my pup starts to run low on the food the breeder sent her away with, i will be introducing her to CSJ. havent heard a bad thing about it.
Harley & Me
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by Harley & Me View Post

I am also planning on getting our dog over to this food also as we want both of our dogs to be on the same brand of food, I am also thinking what he is currently on isn't meeting his needs so I am planning on changing him over ASAP to a CSJ diet.
Update

Harley got some CSJ samples and loved the food, he choose Natural Champ so will be ordering some soon. The best thing about it is that it has now solved the problem we were having, his previous food obviously wasn't meeting his needs (he was always so hungry, started to beg for food, got really naughty over any food etc - totally unlike him) and now we have a great food which has left him feeling content and happy tonight with begging for food and looking so hungry.

Safe to say CSJ is the food for us and when our puppy comes along it will be CSJ all the way!

Big thanks to this forum as without it we wouldn't of heard about the wonders of CSJ .

Rose x