my dogs dry and mix in with the tinned meat,
it has'nt done them any harm and they are quite
healthy,I have always fed this to my dogs and I've had
six dogs in all.
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-09-2008, 08:28 AM
We choose dry simply because it's better for their teeth. But if you brush their teeth every day it probably makes little difference.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2008, 08:50 AM
I choose dry for a number of reasons but the main ones are for there teeth and because i think a good quality dry food has more good stuff in it then canned. Wet is very procesed and then made to look like meaty chunks.

Also the smell makes me feel ill . . .
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Personally, I believe all food should be served wet - and it matters not whether that's from a can or kibble soaked in tepid water, as I believe that kibble fed dry is just going to absorb moisture from the body instead which can not be a good thing.

It's the same as feeding dry bread to birds - experts advise to pre-soak that for exactly the same reasons.

I believe the "kibble cleans teeth" notion is a myth spread about by food manufacturers - the statistics on dog dental disease proves it - after all you don't see or hear of wild dogs with plaque or dental disease!

In fact, if you look into a street dogs mouth (as I have done many times as they're in big numbers here and I run a small rescue operation) their teeth are perfect pearly white with no disease. Rehome that same dog and several months later after being fed on kibble, their teeth start to show evidence of plaque.

These two vets agree that kibble doesn't clean teeth, but they have differing views as to why:

There is a common misconception that simply feeding a kibbled diet will protect the teeth from dental disease. Consider what it would be like to attempt to replace brushing your own teeth with eating crunchy foods and it is easily see how ineffective this method would be. When it comes to pet foods, much of the kibble is swallowed whole and not chewed at all.

http://marvistavet.com/html/periodon...nd_dental.html

Australian-based veterinarian Dr Tom Lonsdale: Canned soft foods and grain-based kibble (pellets) do not clean teeth. Food sludge sticks to the teeth and feeds the bacteria in dental plaque.

http://www.pretorianews.co.za/?fSect...4827996C330235
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
I choose dry for a number of reasons but the main ones are for there teeth and because i think a good quality dry food has more good stuff in it then canned. Wet is very procesed and then made to look like meaty chunks.

Also the smell makes me feel ill . . .
If I had to feed processed food then I would go for wet
but not one with processed meaty chunks - one with as much meat as possible and as little processing
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2008, 12:50 PM
I feed dry, i am sure it must be better for the dogs teeth compared to the tinned wet slush that you can see stuck around dogs teeth once they have eaten wet food.

I fed Tonks her food soaked when we first got her as a pup, but it wasn't long before she showed her preference to dry food rather that soaked.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-09-2008, 01:23 PM
I feed both.

Interesting on the tartar, that Taki's teeth (aged 10, feral stock) are much less prone than Ilo's (aged 3 exemplary pedigree LOL). I do wonder if its genetic or perhaps because Ilo pants more with a heavier coat. I know that if humans mouth-breathe its meant to promote tartar formation.

Mary
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2008, 01:52 PM
On teeth,
I think that the dry food does less damage than the wet food, but still not great. Peridontal disease is quite common amongst dog on commercial dog food. This can be reduced by regularly brushing their teeth.

Of my own two, one came to me on dry food, the other on tinned. Both had brown and yellow staining on their teeth and one more so than the other had a "doggy breath".

They've been on (prey model) raw for quiet awhile now and their teeth have never looked better.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2008, 02:33 PM
My boys are fed a dry kibble. If anything is mixed in with it, its oily fish...

They don't have doggy breath, or bad teeth at all. They have lovely clean teeth and fairly decent breath!!

I don't feed wet food for the simple reason that their poo's end up soggy and "mr whippy" like - not very nice at all!
cally
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-09-2008, 06:47 PM
I don't brush my dogs teeth,they have an
enzymatic toothpaste and dentastick chews,
and the 3 yr old's teeth are perfect,and so is
the young one,I agree that some tinned food is
rubbish,but I think that's the cheap stuff,my dogs
don't have the cheap meat,I feed Better by Nature
tins and Pedigree Small Adult biscuits.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >