Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2006, 12:42 PM

Castration Booked

Well, I've gone and done it now. Have been meaning to do it for some time, but I feel so guilty about getting it done. Never having owned a male dog before. Ozzie is booked in on Monday. Am feeling a bit, no thats wrong, very apprehensive. I worry about coping with him through the healing process, about how he will cope having a collar on in fact I'm worrying about the whole thing. Can you believe I was even thinking of having my groomer look after him through the healing process, my OH told me not to be so daft, what am I like. So I am going to go it alone, any tips on aftercare would be greatly appreciated.

I know I'm sounding like a whimp, but I just feel so awfull about the whole thing.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2006, 01:06 PM
Awww he will be just fine - don't worry about it - its not a big operation. My dog had it done at 7 months and they soon heal. I worried myself silly about the buster collar too - it was my worst fear that he would have to wear one of them but he was fine - they soon get used to wearing one and it won't be for long - not all vets put them on after castration although some do. I think I took Benjis off more or less right away and just kept an eye on him and I don't think he bothered with the stitches at all We have had bitches spayed in the past and thats a bigger operation and none of them had any buster collars on when they had been done and they were fine.

Good luck and try not to worry (although I know its hard cos I did )

As for aftercare I don't think there is much you can do just a check up after a week I think to make sure it is healing nicely. The vet will advise you about his diet afterwards and whether to feed his normal food or not.
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-09-2006, 01:18 PM
He'll be fine i generally find once the GA has worn off and they've had a good sleep they bounce back.

Mine never worn a collar tho and you may find he pays no attention to the stitches anyway and won't need one.

Good luck
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Aww you're not a wimp It is scary to see our dogs in pain for any reason. I'm sure he will be fine though and you will wonder what all the fuss is about afterwards
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2006, 02:29 PM
Dont be worrying and dont feel guilty - you will be helping prevent many horrible diseases for him which entire dogs are prone to !

None of mine ever needed a collar, and fingers crossed your boy may well not need one. If he does, ask for a clear one rather than the solid white as he will be able to see where he is going much better.

He should not have any pain at all, just double check with the vet that he will administer a pain killer jab for when your boy wakes up.

He may have some bruising but that normal and doesnt mean he will be in pain as the jab should take care of that.

The last boy I had snipped was wanting to run around as normal the next day, but all the vet insisted on was on lead only for the first couple of days and no going in the river til his stitches were out, [ he wasnt allowed in the river I mean, I was allowed if I wanted to myself ], and no jumping things while stitches were in, [ tree logs / ditches etc ], but that was pretty much it.

Required aftercare was absolutely minimal, just checking the stitches [ he only had four and was a sheath `side entry` not testicle entry ] were ok, and not letting him overdo things immediately after, and that really was it.
:smt001
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2006, 02:45 PM
Most dogs cope generally a lot better than their owners do !! Castration in males is a lot less invasive surgery than a spay- my girl was spayed 2 years ago- she never bothered with her stitches, didnt wear a cone and within a day or so of getting her stitches out she was back to normal- mind you I did take 10 days off work to be with her 24/7 as she wasnt allowed to jump on/off stuff or climb stairs.
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2006, 02:58 PM
Foxy - yes it is hard not to worry, I know I shall be a nervous wreck on Monday

BrandieSnap - well my husband said I'm a wimp - it would be different if it was him going through it, wouldn't it.

Patch - Thanks for that info - I shall sit down and write a list of what to ask the vet before Monday.

Thank you all, feeling a little better after reading your replies.
sasha_the_trash
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-09-2006, 03:04 PM
just curios (as my new boy will need it done) how much did it cost you?

im sure he will be fine though
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2006, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by sasha_the_trash View Post
just curios (as my new boy will need it done) how much did it cost you?

im sure he will be fine though
Bearing in mind that I live in Marbella, it's costing 120 euros, I believe it's cheaper in England - don't know for sure.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2006, 03:20 PM
sure he will be fine....its a fairly straightforward operation and will be bouncing around before you know it x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >