Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
But you know what I meant SB

I know what you mean but not everyone will.

I was at a BAT seminar with Grisha Stewart on Wednesday and she discussed this then. It's the context that is important!

EXACTLY it is the context that is important, however if you make a statement such as:

Dogs can hear us breathe in, and for them, it's a prelude to a bark

Without elaborating, then it does not make sense

If you are handling a dog who is nervous or who lunges, they do respond to your holding your breath/breathing in. I agree with Grisha on this one.

People should not get nervous about breathing , but they should be aware of what they are "saying" to their dog and what their dog is reading from them...

Wys
x
It is not exactly rocket science, anyone who is holding their breath is tense..................... (or underwater etc)

It is one of the first rules of performing in any sphere, breathe!
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
It is not exactly rocket science, anyone who is holding their breath is tense..................... (or underwater etc)

It is one of the first rules of performing in any sphere, breathe!
You certainly don't do well for very long in anything if you stop doing it
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
do it do it do it. I have a bullmastiff and shes 5 now and throws a fit at the sight of another dog - it excitment not aggression but i wont let her meet a dog that way. Its so hard keeping your cool and under control with 10 stone have a wobbler at the end of the lead. Really i would do something now why you can. Classes, reward training ect do it all - i wish i had
But you still can! There is no age limit
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 06:32 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Tass: You certainly don't do well for very long in anything if you stop doing it

Well, I know I like to breathe when I can
I did put the context in my post see quote:

Wys: Always breathe out. Dogs can hear us breathe in, and for them, it's a prelude to a bark. So if another dog is approaching, do not hold your breath - be as relaxed as you can.
A lot of owners never think about their breathing or what message their body language is giving out - I do think it useful and helpful to explain this. Better than assuming they know...

Wys
x
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2