Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Dibley
Compulsory training for PARENTS AND DOGOWNERS. Then this country would be a better place in my opinion.
I second that Dibley

In an ideal world this would happen, but unfortunately it doesn't, so we are left with poor unruly dogs through no fault of their own, and totally out of control kids, again probably through no fault of their own! Always the owner never the dog, and always the parents for their hooligan kids, lack of time and interest in both instances in my view I like to know that I can take my dogs round anybody's house and they will behave impeccably after being told to sit down, and the same would go for my kids if I had any. I have had kids round my parent's house when i lived at home who were jumping all over the furniture - outrageous, and I've had dogs round my house running amuck too (that wasn't so much outrageous though as just plain naughty) If a dog hasn't been trained properly then it just doesn't know how to behave, whereas kids understand plain English so there's really no excuse for them is there!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous
Just to add after reading the last couple posts

Well my two are boistrous sometimes on the lead and I would hate to think that for the split second someone maybe watching that they think I am not training them to be different I actually worry about that, I am a good owner and everyday we train with them to have them walk lovely and orderly but it does take time and we are getting there slowly but surely and that is good but I do hate to think that people might think I don't care about my dogs because they are having a loopy moment...With mine that means, being over excitable at seeing people or other dogs and pulling etc...Just because a dog is having a 'moment' you can't just think that they arn't receiving any training at all or that the owners are bad. Good ownership covers much more than that alone
Yes, sounds a bit "worrying" to me as I'm the same with my two with their "mad moments" if we meet another dog who doesn't seem to like them and they are on their leads. Happened to me only yesterday when I was walking them down the village High Street, a woman approached me with a black mongrel dog and it was giving my two grief and it took all my strength and shouting to hold on to them both and make them sit and wait until it had gone past, on the other side of the road I might add! If a policeman had seen that I think all 3 of us might have been locked up! Yet as soon as it had gone, they walked on like perfect little angels one either side, perfect!
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
In Germany it obviously works Fred,but this is the UK where it would never be enforced.Like the laws regarding dog mess,those that are sometimes caught-never get heavily fined and still it dont persuade people to clean up.

I honestly couldnt see all councils in the UK hiring dog wardens to cover their patch because it would require much money in wages and since they are all pleading poverty...
They have also started in Spain but the problem with the Spanish they start but donīt go through with it, not hard enough anyway, because here it is a big problem because they donīt have the felds and the room even to keep dogs in the city.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
and totally out of control kids, again probably through no fault of their own!
Yep - I had two thoroughly spoiled little 'sweeties' to contend with in a supermarket the other day, barging around me and an elderly lady .... with proud dad looking on and saying nothing.
Grrrrrrrrr.
Woofer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
true Dibley !
..the problem as always is the people who care most and need the training least would have it....
the ones who care least and need the training most would not turn up... and would still get a dog 'by other means' .
While there is 'a market' someone will always supply it.
Very true mini, but i do think it would cut down on irresposible owners, as most just couldn't be bothered with the effort needed.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Yes, sounds a bit "worrying" to me as I'm the same with my two with their "mad moments" if we meet another dog who doesn't seem to like them and they are on their leads. Happened to me only yesterday when I was walking them down the village High Street, a woman approached me with a black mongrel dog and it was giving my two grief and it took all my strength and shouting to hold on to them both and make them sit and wait until it had gone past, on the other side of the road I might add! If a policeman had seen that I think all 3 of us might have been locked up! Yet as soon as it had gone, they walked on like perfect little angels one either side, perfect!

Ahhh but if the police man only had the powers to question if you had a licence, and if not then take it further, then there wouldnt be a problem because I'm sure you would have the dogs AFTER you qualified, so it wouldnt be a problem

Mo
iwlass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-07-2005, 07:55 PM
If a dog hasn't been trained properly then it just doesn't know how to behave, whereas kids understand plain English so there's really no excuse for them is there!
Mmm, just because children understand plain english doesn't mean they understand the need to listen and alter their behaviour unless they are taught to

Its a wonderful ideal, but I wonder - how many dogs are kept without papers in Germany, Fred? I think it would only be taken up by those owners who are already responsible - and others would get a dog anyway; and probably dump it and get another if they were caught
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by mo
Ahhh but if the police man only had the powers to question if you had a licence, and if not then take it further, then there wouldnt be a problem because I'm sure you would have the dogs AFTER you qualified, so it wouldnt be a problem

Mo
Trouble is as we all know having a drivers license doesn't stop people speeding and drink driving etc and it wouldn't stop people from begrudgingly (sp!?) taking some class of a few days to obtain some sort of an animal license and it doesn't necessarily mean that they would be a good owner with one...

But I do think that much more education is needed regarding animal welfare, not just in training but in all areas.
Scottish Mags
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-07-2005, 07:54 PM
I strongly agree with this matter. When you had to have a licence for a dog things were not so bad.
I am a firm believer in training. But it is me who has to be trained to train my dogs. I think some form of compulsorary training would be beneficial to owners and also dogs , moreso owners, as we have our dogs for life and they depend on us for water, food and love . They do not ask for anything back. This would stop a lot of attacks and possibly putting dogs in shelters . I know that there are people whose circumstances change and they cannot keep their dog but that is different. Yes I do wish they would change the law . We are dealing with living, breathing , loving creatures and if we train ourselves to train our dogs there would be less "incidents"
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2005, 08:02 PM
well said scottish mags!
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >