Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2007, 07:23 PM

Advice Re My Job

I know that there are a lot of people on here with a wealth of employment experience and wonder if I can pick your brains. I'm sorry its a bit long-winded

As you know I'm working at the pizza parlour, when Gary and I split up and I was penniless I went to the job centre and signed on, as it happened the job came along almost immediately so I signed off again.

However, as they had agreed to pay my council tax for me I told George that I would need a minimum of 16 hours in order to be able to afford to pay that myself. Unfortunately, since he has taken on another company that is based in a social club 20 odd miles away he is very often there and now doesn't open the parlour on Monday,Tuesday and Wednesday. I do get to deliver the hot meals to the elderly on Mondays and Wednesdays so get a couple of hours work there. Tonight though he rang me just as I was about to leave for work to say that he was still at the social club and he wasn't opening tonight - therefore I have no work tonight. My hours are getting less and less and I'm concerned I'm not going to be able to manage financially.

Its got to the point that, although I do like the job I feel I should look for something else to either do on the days I don't work or something with longer hours, although I don't want full time because of the doggies.

When I first took the job on I filled in a P46 although I have since given George the P45 that I got from the job centre. I keep asking him for a wage slip but I found the P46 in the health and safety book that I have to fill in and asked George about it and my wage slip. He said that he had been too busy to send it to the accountant and that he could do me a manual wage slip if I wanted one.

Apart from the fact that I want this all to be above board from a legal point of view, I do need to get a small mortgage from the bank to repay my parents what they lent me to get Snowdrop. I have spoken to the bank who are happy to lend once they have got 3 months wage slips. I don't want to give them manual ones, I want proper ones from a proper place, how do I know that he isn't fabricating information on them? Also should he be paying some sort of tax too?

Also, as I only work 16 hours a week George tells me I don't need to pay tax, a couple of other people have confirmed that but, until I see my wage slip I won't really believe it. He has paid me cash after each shift and, as Deccy pointed out to me, I could get in trouble if what I earn isn't declared as he shouldn't just be paying me cash and forgetting about the tax side of things.

I suppose, in a nutshell, as I have no contract is he within his rights to just cancel work at a moments notice, should I be paying tax on 16 hours work at the minimum wage and am I going to be in trouble after all for accepting cash for the work, even though I keep badgering him for a wage slip?

Thanks guys
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-04-2007, 05:36 AM
I would of thought you would be ok re: the tax,but of course you need pay slips.I have started a home working job not sure how many hours as you just do what you want when you want,I get paid cash no wage slip but I had to fill in a P46 more for them than for me as they have had the tax in man because some people on benefits were earning above what they should and they do it now to cover their back more than ours.
I will ask Gorden to look at this when he gets up he will know more.
Hi again Gorden says manual pay slips are fine there is nothing magic about one printed off a computer.You should be ok re: tax on 16 hours but he will be in trouble for not dealing with your P46 not you and Gorden suggested going back to Job Centre and talking to them about it as they got you the job in the first place so they are in effect your Agent,and maybe voice your concerns and ask them to find something more above board or get this job sorted for you.
Hope this helps a bit,and everything works out for you,seems the more people try to help themselves the more problems they get.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2007, 08:03 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I would of thought you would be ok re: the tax,but of course you need pay slips.I have started a home working job not sure how many hours as you just do what you want when you want,I get paid cash no wage slip but I had to fill in a P46 more for them than for me as they have had the tax in man because some people on benefits were earning above what they should and they do it now to cover their back more than ours.
I will ask Gorden to look at this when he gets up he will know more.
Hi again Gorden says manual pay slips are fine there is nothing magic about one printed off a computer.You should be ok re: tax on 16 hours but he will be in trouble for not dealing with your P46 not you and Gorden suggested going back to Job Centre and talking to them about it as they got you the job in the first place so they are in effect your Agent,and maybe voice your concerns and ask them to find something more above board or get this job sorted for you.
Hope this helps a bit,and everything works out for you,seems the more people try to help themselves the more problems they get.
Thanks Lynn, and please thank Gordon for me too. I didn't know if a manual pay slip could be modified to suit him and wouldn't be worth the paper its printed on. I am planning on going to the job centre after work this morning as I really don't want to be in any trouble re my P45 and P46, although it does sound as if George is going to be the one they will come down on.

You're right about people trying to help themselves, it seems that there are so many stumbling blocks and, maybe its me, but I just can't get my head round a lot of the gumf they shove at you.

Thanks again x
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-04-2007, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Thanks Lynn, and please thank Gordon for me too. I didn't know if a manual pay slip could be modified to suit him and wouldn't be worth the paper its printed on. I am planning on going to the job centre after work this morning as I really don't want to be in any trouble re my P45 and P46, although it does sound as if George is going to be the one they will come down on.

You're right about people trying to help themselves, it seems that there are so many stumbling blocks and, maybe its me, but I just can't get my head round a lot of the gumf they shove at you.

Thanks again x
Gorden says manual pay sips can be modified but it doesn't usually present a problem.Good luck with it all.
You will get your quiet life soon.xx
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-05-2007, 10:20 PM
A contract of employment is an agreement between an employer and an employee. Your rights and duties, and those of your employer, are called the terms' of the contract.

The contract doesnt have to be in writing, but youre entitled to a written statement of the main terms within two months of starting work.

The contract is made as soon as you accept a job offer, and both sides are then bound by its terms until its properly ended (usually by giving notice) or until the terms are changed (usually by mutual agreement).

If you are an employee, you must get a written statement of employment particulars setting out some of your main terms. Your employer must give you this within two months of starting work. The statement must include:

- pay
- hours of work
- holiday entitlement
- sick pay arrangements
- notice periods
- information about disciplinary and grievance procedures

If you're an employee, you automatically have a contract of employment as soon as you accept a job offer. What you may not have is a 'written statement of employment particulars' setting out your terms of employment.

If you're not given this, or if it's wrong or unclear, or if you're dismissed for asking for it, you should first try to sort it out with your employer directly. If you have an employee representative (for example, a trade union official), they may be able to help. Ultimately you may be able to make a claim to an Employment Tribunal.

Dismissal for asking for a written statement will be automatically unfair.
Source: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...ns/DG_10027905

With regard to the tax situation, I am fairly sure that they have to submit National Insurance contribution details, as well as pay Employer's National Insurance contribution - this is important as they count towards your State Pension.

See: http://www.gnn.gov.uk/Content/Detail...5&NewsAreaID=2
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by royv View Post
Source: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...ns/DG_10027905

With regard to the tax situation, I am fairly sure that they have to submit National Insurance contribution details, as well as pay Employer's National Insurance contribution - this is important as they count towards your State Pension.

See: http://www.gnn.gov.uk/Content/Detail...5&NewsAreaID=2
Wow, thanks for that, I haven't received anything from him, other than my wages which I suppose is the most important thing to me. I'm working again tomorrow morning so I think I need to have a bit of a chat with him.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2007, 11:45 PM
not sure how it goes in england, but I have several staff who only work part time, by law you should have a contract, this does not have to be given at the begining of employment but by 12 weeks if you dont have one he is breaking the law, also re the wage slip part, if he has a company stamp he can stamp the back of hand writen slips and the bank can just contact him to verify the details, he should be paying NI for you, why not see about going on a SE 60 or is it 16 it could be ideal for you, just a thought, I think you pay 18% on this but dont quote me as I have not checked for a while, hth, sound to me like he is not really intrested in declaring your earnings though, good luck
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2007, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
not sure how it goes in england, but I have several staff who only work part time, by law you should have a contract, this does not have to be given at the begining of employment but by 12 weeks if you dont have one he is breaking the law, also re the wage slip part, if he has a company stamp he can stamp the back of hand writen slips and the bank can just contact him to verify the details, he should be paying NI for you, why not see about going on a SE 60 or is it 16 it could be ideal for you, just a thought, I think you pay 18% on this but dont quote me as I have not checked for a while, hth, sound to me like he is not really intrested in declaring your earnings though, good luck
Thanks Shona, went into work this morning and there was a message waiting for me to say he's not opening the shop tonight, or over the weekend, he doesn't know when he's re-opening and I'm to go in this evening and have a chat with him. Looks like I'm off to the job centre tomorrow
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-05-2007, 12:21 PM
(((Hugs))) to you maybe you will be better off out of it know it doesn't seem that way now but he obviously doesn't run his busisness's very well.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
(((Hugs))) to you maybe you will be better off out of it know it doesn't seem that way now but he obviously doesn't run his busisness's very well.
Thanks Lynn, I expect you're right, although I feel panicky at the moment as I've set up D/Ds for all my utilities etc and don't know when I'm going to work again. Mind you, if he's not doing things properly I don't want to be involved in it so I'll be better off not working there if thats the case.

I applied for three jobs online last night so, fingers crossed I'll hear back about them.

In the meantime, I'm working on my new career as a dogminder/house sitting/diy/gardener. People can go off on holiday and return to a pristine garden, a redecorated house and a doggy that has been well taken care of.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >