Our sister sites
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2010, 06:30 PM

Do I or dont I....

..buy a little horse i have seen?

Help me pls??!!

I had a horse on loan recently, gave him back about 6 months ago. TBH I did not let myself get to attatched to him, I have been "horseless" for about 6 months.

Horses used to be my life. I left school, went to an agric college, got my BHSAI, competed the lot. Rode horses for other people but had my own special horse...though she was not an amazing competition horse like some I rode, she was everything to me.
When i had my first child i simply could not afford to keep her, I also had no babysitters so would have had no time to do her.
I sold her.....my BIGGEST regret of my life...honestly, I block her out of my mind cos i cant bear thinking about it.

Which i think is why i have given up and not got so attatched to any other horses, and have given up my loan horse...cos i knew i would have to give him back anyway.

Now, I have seen a lovely 15.3hh TB for sale...as a project. Nothing bad about her, a little green but a right sweetie.

Do I go and see her? I think she is just what i need, another little mare like my old girl. BUT I still dont have loads of money, i have four dogs, two children and goodness knows what else.

Just got a funny feeling this is fate but do i go with my head or my heart??

Anyone who got this far, thanks for listening and any advice welcome!!
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Only you know the answer to that one hun. Do you have enough money to care for her and to insure her, put aside incase she is ill? Do you have time to spend with her and train her, ride her? The kids could ride her in the future? It would be lovely for you, but, unless she's a keeper I wouldn't do it yet...
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2010, 06:38 PM
I always go with my heart. If you have the money etc as the above Settagirl has said, go for it xxxxx
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Go for it. Life's to short for ''what ifs''! If you think that time and finances will make it possible then you deserve to do it for yourself.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
Only you know the answer to that one hun. Do you have enough money to care for her and to insure her, put aside incase she is ill? Do you have time to spend with her and train her, ride her? The kids could ride her in the future? It would be lovely for you, but, unless she's a keeper I wouldn't do it yet...
Thanks for advice mate. I would only get her keeps, no way could sell again x
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2010, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
Thanks for advice mate. I would only get her keeps, no way could sell again x
Thats okay hun, I would love you to hear you have her, just I think you are like me, fall very deeply for these animals (I am crying already over Bramble going home, but I have my reasons why... ) and know you are not over your previous horse... But if you can get her, brilliant!!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2010, 08:46 PM
It does sound like you are ready for your own horse again and its not like you've rushed into it.

Nobody can see what the future will bring, but if you think you can afford her and have sufficient time in your life for a horse of your own, I'd say go and see her.

Good luck with the decision.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Someone is going to see her at the wknd. If the lady doesnt think they are suitable she will give me a call...so guess its up to fate to decide
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Someone is going to see her at the wknd. If the lady doesnt think they are suitable she will give me a call...so guess its up to fate to decide
Fingers crossed for you xxxxx Keep us posted xxxxxxxx
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Very tempting!

But to be honest, how much time would you have for her to do her justice (you say shes a bit green) or would she end up being a field ornament? (sounds harsh but its not meant too)

I could afford financially to have my own horse but fortunately have a few to ride on a regular basis so dont need to as such. I debate it a lot but it always comes down to the same thing TIME. I work full time and have my darling boy who i have to put first, one lot of horses I ride he can come with me and hack out on private land which is fantastic and great in the light evenings 2 birds with one stone and all that!

So I have 1 dogs and 1 full time job

You have 2 full time jobs (kids ) and 4 dogs

my heart says DO IT but my head says NO

i was looking at a lovely BWB on project horses only yesterday but just couldnt devote the time to him as much as I loved him :/
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >