Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 05:34 PM

Wellies

I'm stupidly paranoid about my dog walking footwear since damaging my Achilles tendon so I'm on the look out for a decent pair of wellies (or walking boots that act the same).

The trouble is, my calf muscle on my right leg (the bad one) is 45cm and the left is 43cm. Most 'wide fit' wellies only go up to 42cm and they all increase with foot size (erm, so someone with size 9s obviously has huge calves )

So, suggestions please. I don't care where they are from or how much they cost, as long as they fit and are of a decent enough quality to offer full underfoot support.

Thanks ;o)
Jfk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-08-2010, 05:47 PM
You could try looking at the different types of muckboots. They do different treads and the tops are neoprene so they stretch. I've had my pair 5 years without damage and they are warm in the winter.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-08-2010, 05:55 PM
pidge, have a look on the Le Chameau website, it wont let me put a link to it.

They have the whole range, and if you look you will see , the foot is very sturdy, (non slip)

Expensive, but they last for yrs, have had mine for over 7 yrs now and still got a good grip.

I like you are paranoid about slipping in the winter, (reasons personal) but they are incredible footwear, and nothing makes me feel safer under foot.
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 06:01 PM
I've got Meindl boots, which I use for shoot days, I had to get the ladies boots, as I've got small feet and all the mens ones start at size 5. My ladies ones cost me about £80, but still look like new, and I've had them out in the rain, snow and god knows how much mud!
OH has some from the hunting range, which he says are quite good for ankle support, but I think they start at like £200.

Le Chameau do wellies with zips, but am not sure how much they cost. Google tells me they are called Chasseurnord Wellington Boots. A friend had some, and they were really good, but as long as the zip is looked after!

Hope this is a bit helpful!
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 06:22 PM
I've got muck boot in all three types. You can get shoe height, calf height and full height wellies. They are a bit expensive, but excellent and long lasting. The only thing is that they don't have much tread on them (cos they are muck boots I suppose) and so if you need a boot which grips well muck boots might not be the right choice.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

31-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by Misty-Pup View Post
I've got Meindl boots, which I use for shoot days, I had to get the ladies boots, as I've got small feet and all the mens ones start at size 5. My ladies ones cost me about £80, but still look like new, and I've had them out in the rain, snow and god knows how much mud!
OH has some from the hunting range, which he says are quite good for ankle support, but I think they start at like £200.

Le Chameau do wellies with zips, but am not sure how much they cost. Google tells me they are called Chasseurnord Wellington Boots. A friend had some, and they were really good, but as long as the zip is looked after!

Yep, forgot to say that, those are the ones I have,

They have a zip with an inner lining, so they dont allow water in or flap about, so you could leave them open abit.

They are not cheap Pidge around £ 250 , but well worth it.

Once bought, they will last you a lifetime!!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 07:42 PM
I use my muckers/yard boots to!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2010, 07:08 AM
Originally Posted by Jfk View Post
You could try looking at the different types of muckboots. They do different treads and the tops are neoprene so they stretch. I've had my pair 5 years without damage and they are warm in the winter.
Which ones do you have? Are they really grippy?

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
pidge, have a look on the Le Chameau website, it wont let me put a link to it.

They have the whole range, and if you look you will see , the foot is very sturdy, (non slip)

Expensive, but they last for yrs, have had mine for over 7 yrs now and still got a good grip.

I like you are paranoid about slipping in the winter, (reasons personal) but they are incredible footwear, and nothing makes me feel safer under foot.
Which ones have you got then? Are they big calf ones?

Originally Posted by Misty-Pup View Post

I'm a size 6 so dainty boots won't work, but I need them to be snug enough so my fot doesn't move about too much (prob with my last ones).

Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
I've got muck boot in all three types. You can get shoe height, calf height and full height wellies. They are a bit expensive, but excellent and long lasting. The only thing is that they don't have much tread on them (cos they are muck boots I suppose) and so if you need a boot which grips well muck boots might not be the right choice.
Hmmmm, yeah I do need them to be quite grippy.

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Yep, forgot to say that, those are the ones I have,

They have a zip with an inner lining, so they dont allow water in or flap about, so you could leave them open abit.

They are not cheap Pidge around £ 250 , but well worth it.

Once bought, they will last you a lifetime!!
I need a link, although I would never spend £250. £100 would be absolute tops really.
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-09-2010, 08:05 AM
Just did a google - try here they do all sorts.
http://www.thewellyshop.com/
I have the Tayberry Muddies. I have the short wellies and have had them about 4 years now. OH has the long ones and got them around the same time. They are still going strong.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

01-09-2010, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Which ones do you have? Are they really grippy?

Which ones have you got then? Are they big calf ones?

I'm a size 6 so dainty boots won't work, but I need them to be snug enough so my fot doesn't move about too much (prob with my last ones).

Hmmmm, yeah I do need them to be quite grippy.

I need a link, although I would never spend £250. £100 would be absolute tops really.
I know they are expensive Pidge, but along with the wide fitting I know you want a really good grip sole, the Chameau boots are equal to any good walking boot with good support around the foot, something most wellies dont give you. but something you need.

But I understand that the cost may be too high!

You may be better off with a calf boot or good water resistant walking boot.

Keep looking, something will turn up!!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >