View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adele-84
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-12-2008, 04:20 PM

Not catching on to toilet training, any advice?

We are really struggling with Maisy’s toilet training; she just doesn’t seem to be catching on at all. She seems to think its still ok to go in the kitchen, she will be out in the garden (with me) for ages and then come in a wee on the floor. She does also toilet in the garden, but not all the time. Iv been using 'go wee' command and treating when she goes, but she also seems to pretending to wee in the garden. She will squat like she has wee’d and then wait for her treat, but when you look under her she hasn’t wee’d.
She is nearly 15 weeks old, and has been with us for almost 3 weeks, and really has shown no improvement, although she did go for 3 nights last week with no accidents. I think its possibly down to changing routine, I work 8-4.30, and my partner works shifts, so one week she is on her own in the mornings until lunchtime, and the next week she is on her own between lunch time til late afternoon. This rotates every week as he does one week lates, one week earlies. She goes for a walk everyday at around 7am , but really does not toilet on the walk, then she is given lots of time in the garden to toilet before she is left, she normally does have a little wee and a poo.
When we are at home she is being taken into the garden every hour, and when she goes she is praised, either given a toy or a treat. Then early evening around 5pm she has a walk again.
If we catch her at it, we normally say ‘ah ah’ and pick her up and put her outside to finish it. Last night she went out, had a wee, so I praised her, gave her a treat, she then went running back into the house, i get back into the kitchen and within about 30 seconds she'd had a poo in the middle of the kitchen. I didn’t have any of these problems when I trained my staff, so im not sure how to deal with it when they don’t seem to be picking it up at all.

Does anyone have any further advice on this ?
jossrocker
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-12-2008, 05:12 PM
I used the puppy pad method with Diablo (as i have done with all pups ive had) gradually moving the pad towards the door then eventually outside until now we dont have any pads down at all. apart from at night. It seemed for a while he wasnt catching on, eg. he was going out for a wee then coming in and doing a poo. But this week we have had a breakthrough, it just suddenly clicks and we've had no accidents at all.
I find this to be the easiest method of toilet training but i think it works best from a young age.
perhaps you are on the verge of your breakthrough as IMO i think your doing all the right things!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2008, 06:07 PM
It is usually easier to train a younger puppy(ie 6 - 8 weeks), was she bred & reared indoors or in a kennel ?

I would never use pads or newspaper as it trains your puppy that it is OK to "go"indoors.

It's simply a case of being consistant & not treating or praising until she has actually been & it can sometimes take a good while, as you are not there all the time it will take longer than if someone is there all the time.

How long is she walked in a morning ? at her age it should only be short walks of no more than 5 mins per month of age(so around 15-20 minutes)

Young dogs often don't like to go to toilet whilst they are out, one of my Cavaliers was 5 before he even wee'd away from home & he was a showdog !!!

Keep praising when she goes & if possible when you are in take her out into the garden every hour, after meals & when she wakes up. The penny will drop eventually
Adele-84
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
It is usually easier to train a younger puppy(ie 6 - 8 weeks), was she bred & reared indoors or in a kennel ?

How long is she walked in a morning ? at her age it should only be short walks of no more than 5 mins per month of age(so around 15-20 minutes)
# she was home reared and we got her at 12 weeks, she was indoors with her sister, aunt and mum, and was being taken out to wee with them.

#She has around 10 minutes in the morning and about 15-20 mins at night .

We do take her out in the garden every hour when at home for the toilet, so fingers crossed she will get there in the end!
Adele-84
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-12-2008, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by jossrocker View Post
I used the puppy pad method with Diablo (as i have done with all pups ive had) gradually moving the pad towards the door then eventually outside until now we dont have any pads down at all. apart from at night. It seemed for a while he wasnt catching on, eg. he was going out for a wee then coming in and doing a poo. But this week we have had a breakthrough, it just suddenly clicks and we've had no accidents at all.
I find this to be the easiest method of toilet training but i think it works best from a young age.
perhaps you are on the verge of your breakthrough as IMO i think your doing all the right things!
We started with paper training, big area getting to small area then moved paper into the garden etc. Now just keeping on with the going outside. If she is clever enough to fake a wee , she must soon realise that she is supposed to be going outside ! Hopefully soon, as cleaning the floor so much in the kitchen is taking the pattern off the tiles
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2008, 09:25 AM
Some dogs are just quicker on the uptake than others!

Pepper, my mini schnauzer, was really quick, Gozo, my Affenpinscher, really didn't get it until he was about 6 months! We're mostly there now, he's 8 months, but I was really starting to wonder if he would ever click. To be honest I think he still doesn't really see the point in going ouside... and if clothes, cushions, blankets or magazines get left on the floor he will often have a wee on them. Don't know if he is scent marking or if it was because he was paper trained by his breeder.

Anyway 14 weeks is very early days so I think that you just have to keep plugging away!

J
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2008, 10:26 AM
As has already been said it really is early days. It will all fall into place in due course, it just seems frustratingly slow sometimes.
Adele-84
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the responses, I guess because my staff took no time at all I presumed she would be just as quick. I have always had boy dogs,I am noticing lots of different things about owning a girl!
Its a shame as I was hoping we would be able to take her to friends/families houses over xmas