Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 12:39 PM

Advice on Orphaned Birds

I have two orphaned baby birds my friend discovered at work that are not yet ready to fly the nest. She discovered the first yesterday and today she discovered another with its eye missing.
I have fed them on porridge, scrambled egg, minced meat and water.
I also popped into the local pet shop as DD advised on getting a tropical powder which they didnt have, but she gave me some grain called EDL for free (very kind)? Or something like that. Ive fed them that as a grain but worried I maybe should of damped it first into a paste?
Im not sure how old they are, they both have feathers and bird 1 is flapping however bird 2 is very poorly but still eating and drinking.
Any advice on what to do?
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Blackbirds but should be the same for any garden bird:
http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/bird...ned_birds.aspx
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-06-2010, 12:51 PM
We fed 10 orphaned blue tits last year, we feed them mainly meal worms, use some tweezers to crush the worms heads and dip in water and just pop in their mouths. We also used some grain, added a bit of water and rolled it until it was the size of a meal worm and fed with tweezers. They all survived so I guess what we did was right
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Thanks both those are really helpful.
Bird 1 could be about ready to start being independant but it still opens its mouth for food and when left with food it doesnt touch it.
I have thought to take them up to the farm (no cats) and keep them in my stable but they need feeding regularly so not sure if thats viable just yet.
How do I know they are ready to fly the nest so to speak?
Annestaff
Supervisor

09-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Even when they start to fly they still can't feed themselves, mum and dad usually follow them around feeding them until they get the hang of it. You need to contain them until they're feeding themselves or they won't make it
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Annestaff View Post
Even when they start to fly they still can't feed themselves, mum and dad usually follow them around feeding them until they get the hang of it. You need to contain them until they're feeding themselves or they won't make it
Got my work cut out then to keep them safe.
My god they dont half poo alot!
Annestaff
Supervisor

09-06-2010, 01:44 PM
LOL as the food goes in it comes out just as quick. You need to remove the pooh like mum and dad do to stop preditors seeing it and to keep it clean ........... Oh what have you got yourself in to!
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by Annestaff View Post
LOL as the food goes in it comes out just as quick. You need to remove the pooh like mum and dad do to stop preditors seeing it and to keep it clean ........... Oh what have you got yourself in to!
Some will say out of mischief!
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 09:27 PM
Bird 1 (Spug) is now trying to fly but bird 2 (Cotton eyed Joe) cant yet fly as he is still recovering. They eat for England and poo for Britain.
If I take them to the farm tomorrow so they can at least spread their wings am I risking them?
Annestaff
Supervisor

10-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Until they can feed themselves they don't stand much chance. I was told its usually about 2 weeks after they learn to fly that they learn to feed themselves, up to then mum and dad do it. Have you a local bird/wildlife sanctuary near you where you can take them to? They will have facilities to prepare them for release.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >