Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-08-2013, 11:18 AM

Bank Holidays......

......seem to bring really strange people out of hibernation!

This morning I decided to go for a cycle ride, while the dogs digested their breakfast. I went along the Spa Trail, which I use most days for cycling, running or dog walking - and all the regular uses are considerate of each other. Today, though, on FOUR occasions I was forced to brake and take refuge on the grass by cyclists riding in pairs and taking up the whole path - and once , I was worryingly close to the canal edge! Why they couldn't get into single file when they saw me coming I don't know.

And they were all middle-aged couples.

I would have liked to have been brave enough to have done a dive and 'fallen off', but as I was wearing shorts and a sleeveless top I didn't fancy it!

Next Bank Holiday, I shall have to get up very early or give it a miss!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2013, 11:40 AM
As you say I think weekends but especially bank holidays brings all and sundry out. I have a real gripe with cyclists anyway when they are in groups as they often will be taking up the entire road with a massive queue of cars behind.

I live on the cycle route that was used for the Olympics road race in the Surrey section and every weekend we have literally hundreds of cyclists (mostly wearing the yellow shirt) causing havoc around here. I wouldn't mind if once in a while they'll go single file to let the building traffic pass.

As you say you are probably better to avoid your 'path' during the morning and afternoon and go early or late to avoid those selfish individuals.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by jantet View Post
...[snip]...
I would have liked to have been brave enough to have done a dive and 'fallen off', but as I was wearing shorts and a sleeveless top I didn't fancy it!
Way back when petrol became too expensive for me for normal local shopping trips, I bought a second-hand bicycle [and had it thoroughly serviced once bought and before used], the nearest shopping area being only about two miles away. I had a large basket fitted on the front, ditto on the back, plus large panniers so I could fit as much as I needed onto the bike.

True I had to use roads although none were major ones, and having been a driver [first scooter then car] for many years and always been aware of cyclists, I assumed [never assume as it makes an a$$ out of you and me] that other drivers would give me the respect that I had always given cyclists.

Mostly they did but I had a few hairy moments, until the day that the nearside wing mirror missed me by a whisker - and I dropped the bike and dived. Mind you, there was a grassy area beside the road...

...I think the driver sh@t himself!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-08-2013, 12:55 PM
I hide away during bank holidays , I hate them .
Can't stand lots of people around me
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2013, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
I'm with you Mini!!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2013, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Me too. Both when in the UK and here in Cyprus. In the UK I lived for the last 12 yrs or so in 'holiday resorts'. I'd make sure I didn't have to go out for ANYTHING on BH weekends! Perfect time to enjoy your garden if weather nice in my opinion.

And when the weather is nice (rarely on UK BH weekends) who the hell wants to spend half the nice day sitting in traffic for hours to spend a couple of hours at a beach or tourist resort?

Here in Cyprus we have more BHs than most. About 14 I think! And, like most Mediterranean types they go crazy at those times. You can hear most of the festivities without leaving the apartment! See some of them too - the never ending infernal fireworks!

My son and his wife went down to the prom last week on the BH to see some 'world famous' DJ (I'd never heard of) I saw the videos of the crowds and the crush in that blerdy heat and just shuddered!