Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
...If one dog displays superior strength to another the weaker dog has the option to fight/freeze/flee. It will often choose to roll over into a submissive position exposing vulnerable parts of its body like the throat, this often has the effect of diffusing the situation.

If we watch puppies playing we can see these gestures being played out/rehearsed
Totaly, quite often in play my two will try flipping each other - but considereing the bitey face still continues when one is on his back then there it is ONLY play - and sometimes Mia will take a upside down sliding tackle to go underneath Ben and nip his legs

But in the real world - not play - I have seen many dogs diffuse a difficult situation but rolling themselves - but they choose to they are never put there

If in an agressive situation one dog flipped another on its back I would be getting in quick smart because I would be expecting to see a dog killed
TuesdaJade
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Minihaha's explanation does make a great deal more sense to me. But as I said, I really don't know.lol.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by dogdragoness View Post
But playing devils advocate here for a minute, dogs DO roll each other, Izze does it to Jo when she gets too excited, as do the barn dogs... So why is a human doing it any different? Just asking.
Because we're humans, for a start When you start eating from a bowl on the floor next to them, peeing up lamp posts and rolling in fox poo, they might start expecting "doggy language" from you, but I'm sure that dogs know the difference between dog and human, which is why I don't feel "acting the alpha" is a very effective way of training dogs, just my opinion.
(and as said, I've yet to see a dog actually pin another dog down - when Kiki and Casper playfight, they take it in turns to "give up" and roll on their backs, and when my mum's puppy met my two, pup willingly threw herself upside down along with lots of other appeasement gestures to show she came in peace, but I've yet to see a dog "alpha roll" another dog and imagine it would be a more aggressive gesture than anything else )
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 07:46 AM
I think people blow this out of preportion to be honest. You can blatently see its been posted by someone who hates him and will make him look bad. You can see that he is using a very gentle touch and yes it ok to nudge a dog which i what he is doing he knows what he is doing and he has fixed many a prblem that would take months with standered methods. Ive only heard of one complaint against him by celebs that were used on his show and that was by victoria stirwell who I really don't like but even she said his methods are very old school yet they seem to work in most cases.

If it was believed he was being creul to the dogs Brittish tv would not air the shows at alll they very hot this type of thing.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
You can see that he is using a very gentle touch and yes it ok to nudge a dog which i what he is doing he knows what he is doing and he has fixed many a prblem that would take months with standered methods.
The best way to explain that 'nudging/kicking' is not a good idea is to imagine yourself in an extreme state of tension. You are terrified that someone or something is going to hurt you. You are restrained and every nerve in your body is on alert. Then imagine that someone nudges/kicks you from behind your line of eyesight. Depending on your personality, there will be one of two results - you will either go into a state of freeze and literally unable to move, or you will react - either by trying desperately to flee against your restraint, or by launching a counter-attack.

If it was believed he was being creul to the dogs Brittish tv would not air the shows at alll they very hot this type of thing.
The show is aired on a satellite channel not on one of the mainstream British TV channels. If you look at the appearances he has made on the mainstream channels, you won't see any of the more extreme methods he uses. Having said that, even on 'our' channels, standards have dropped tremendously over the years.
my fergal
New Member!
Female 

03-06-2011, 08:40 AM
What was he sactually trying to prove by kicking the bull dog??..to make it aggressive??,the dog wasnt doing a thing until CM kicked it,and then,obviously,that had angered him, (well it would me),and then he says "i can protect myself from him by using the scrubber"!!!!!!!!! ..... i mean really??? my 8 year old could see the non-logic in that!!
I used to like CM,but clearly i was only seeing what they wanted you to see,i am very very disappointed
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Totaly, quite often in play my two will try flipping each other - but considereing the bitey face still continues when one is on his back then there it is ONLY play - and sometimes Mia will take a upside down sliding tackle to go underneath Ben and nip his legs

But in the real world - not play - I have seen many dogs diffuse a difficult situation but rolling themselves - but they choose to they are never put there

If in an agressive situation one dog flipped another on its back I would be getting in quick smart because I would be expecting to see a dog killed
Missed this--sorry.

I had a dog who flipped Pippin several times against Pippins will and did not kill him! It was done aggressivly and I have an old video of it happening which I would like to get DVD'd---just to prove it can and does happen.

I have seen dogs fight and when one has gone over because it has been forced to it is then left alone IF it stops aggressing. Usually they do.

I agree that generally it looks like a decision made by the underdog---but not always!

rune
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 09:03 AM
yes it ok to nudge a dog
Are you using your feet on your puppy? Could this be why you`re having trouble perhaps?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 09:05 AM
You can see that he is using a very gentle touch and yes it ok to nudge a dog which
Are you watching a different video? You can see that the "nudge" often moves the dogs feet off the ground, or at least moves the ribcage/body with a fair bit of force. If I walked up to you and "nudged" you with the same force I would be expecting a lot of verbal abuse, if not a slap/punch back, and these dogs are half the size or less than a human.

0:17 and 0:18, dog is "nudged" enough to move the backend out towards the camera.
0:23, the dog is nudged nearly a foot to the left, then again straight after/
0:37, the whole dog's body is moved with this "nudge"
0:51, the "nudge" is hard enough to move the dog's head - imagine being hit across your neck like that, it's a very sensitive arae
1:07, you see the whole "nudge" reverb through the dogs body

I could go on, these are not gentle touches, they're kicks. Would you be OK watching the same thing done to a toddler the same size as these dogs? Would they be "gentle touches" then?

I don't hate the man, I used to watch his shows, but I can see that these are kicks, not nudges, and just as old fashioned as lots of his methods.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Missed this--sorry.

I had a dog who flipped Pippin several times against Pippins will and did not kill him! It was done aggressivly and I have an old video of it happening which I would like to get DVD'd---just to prove it can and does happen.

I have seen dogs fight and when one has gone over because it has been forced to it is then left alone IF it stops aggressing. Usually they do.

I agree that generally it looks like a decision made by the underdog---but not always!

rune
Fair enough there are always exceptions - BUT I would not be hanging about and letting that happen
and tbh I cannot see how - if dogs are actually properly fighting - one dog can actually put another on its back without doing some damage

The other dog would still have to choose to stop fighting when it has been put on its back, in a trapped held down position I cannot for a sec see mia ever doing that, she has put herself on her back when a dog was going for her (much to my surprise)
Page 24 of 49 « First < 14 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 34 > Last »