View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Nope. Dahlia will NOT set foot outside if there is thunder in the area (and by "in the area" I mean even 20 miles away and not able to be heard by me). If it suddenly begins to thunder while out, she will make a very fast beeline for the house. I always check the weather before I take her out for a walk on days there could be a storm coming. Then I can decide if it's going to be a short walk or a fast one. I'm sad about this as I LOVE being out in a storm. Granted, we don't get very good ones here in the northeastern USA. I used to live in Tornado Alley and while I didn't see a tornado, we did get some AMAZING storms.

She also won't go out in heavy rain. I think she doesn't like the rain in her eyes.

She will, however, go out for a long walk in a blizzard. Go figure.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2010, 09:39 PM
A defo yes from this quarter, nothing nicer, the dogs are not abit bothered
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
A defo yes from this quarter, nothing nicer, the dogs are not abit bothered
Here too. Having said that, we do live int he end of the northbound runway at the airport so that helps with the noise.

I've never owned a dog afraid of thunder or storms. But then I do make an effort to make sure they're familiar with all sorts of loud noises, expected and unexpected. Thi way, they know they can trust me and that I keep them safe. Although I do know that if a dog is afraid of something, it's practically impossible to get them to understand that they won't get hurt.

Having said that, I would never force a dog to walk in a storm if they were afraid or showed signs of anxiety, stress or distress.

Laura xx
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2010, 07:07 PM
I dont walk the collies in thunderstorms because they are afraid. I do walk Flynn however and I do let him off as he has no fear of loud noises.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4