Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Seacrow
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-10-2011, 09:17 PM

Insurance increase

Soso's insurance (11yr old papillon), has just gone from £19 to £33. Arghhh!!!

We haven't claimed a thing, although technically we could have for her phantom pregnancy and other bits and bobs, and they still nearly double the premium. We can't change because she has pre-existings which wouldn't be covered by a new policy.

Oh well, we were wondering whether claiming for her £1 a day tablet was worth the paperwork (£200 excess, so we'd get about £150 back). Definately going to do that now, before we thought it probably wouldn't be worth the increase in premium, but if they increase it anyway
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Claiming on pet insurance doesn't affect your premium so i can't understand why people think this. There's no such thing as a no claim discount on dogs like there is on cars. If the premium goes up then it would of gone up whether you claimed or not.

I pay £53 a month for lifetime insurance on my 7 and half yr old dog and i claim whatever is covered. She has pre excisting i did change but i've paid out my own pocket for that.
Seacrow
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-10-2011, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by JackieandMia View Post
Claiming on pet insurance doesn't affect your premium so i can't understand why people think this.
Ermmm, we think this because last year they tried to put up the premium, and the OH phoned up and said, what's happening, we haven't claimed, and they said, oh OK then, we'll put the premium back down (not all the way back down, but still).
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by Seacrow View Post
Ermmm, we think this because last year they tried to put up the premium, and the OH phoned up and said, what's happening, we haven't claimed, and they said, oh OK then, we'll put the premium back down (not all the way back down, but still).
Could be possible they reduced it to keep your custom because normally claiming doesn't affect premiums.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-10-2011, 02:14 PM
It would be worth phoning and asking them to justify the increase, they might be able to negotiate.

We paid £185 last year for Toby and this year, after claiming over £4000 it only went up to £205. While I was on the phone to pay I mentioned that he has now been castrated, the chap did a quick check and the price went down by £30 :0) So its actually cheaper this year!