Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
poppysma
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-09-2015, 08:50 PM

Food for fussy dogs?

When I got my Yorkie Lucy I was determined to do everything right food-wise so started making lovely home cooked food. Fast forward 4 years and it's a nightmare! All she will eat is sliced beef with the occasional bit of pate, cheese or chicken added, but really she's not bothered most of the time. I know I should just put food down and if she doesn't eat it, take it away but the problem is if she's hungry she's sick and brings up luminous yellow green bile. I don't know if it's just a Yorkie thing as mine have all done it?
Any suggestions anyone?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2015, 09:38 PM
She's used to home cooked so trying a dry food won't tempt her, but have you thought about trying her with Butchers. Their chunks in gravy seem to tempt a lot of 'picky' dogs and it is far more balanced that what she seems to be having at the moment.

May not work, but worth a try I would have thought
poppysma
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-09-2015, 09:43 PM
I've tried that Bakers and Caesar but it got a thumbs down from your highness!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-09-2015, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by poppysma View Post
the problem is if she's hungry she's sick and brings up luminous yellow green bile.
There is a problem but it's nowt to do with her being hungry. Get her down to the vet as soon as you can.

A dog maybe hungry but will not react like that, neither do humans for that matter.
poppysma
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-09-2015, 10:16 PM
I've had 3 Yorkies and they have all done the same thing. Once they have something to eat they are fine, honestly. I have read before that it is to do with their stomachs being empty.
Seacrow
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-09-2015, 12:40 AM
I had a papillon that did this luminous bile vomit. The vet said that it happens because she has an empty stomach, and to spread her meals into four small portions throughout the day. In the end we left kibble permanently down, and she would eat one or two pieces an hour. Problem fixed.

It doesn't sound as if your girl will eat kibble though, so you may have to go for the many meals option.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2015, 04:47 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
There is a problem but it's nowt to do with her being hungry. Get her down to the vet as soon as you can.

A dog maybe hungry but will not react like that, neither do humans for that matter.
This isn't correct. Many dogs bring up bile if their stomach goes empty for too long. It's actually fairly common and some dogs have to be fed more often because of this. It's extremely uncommon in humans, sure. She needs to be eating and this problem will likely go away. Honestly she just needs to be made to eat what she is given. By spoiling her with cooked food etc you have turned her picky.

When she gets hungry enough, she will eat. No point in spoiling her further until she gets sick of the next food you spoil her with. I recommend tough love here, it's always worked for me. If she ABSOLUTELY refuses to eat after a few days, then add a LITTLE something tasty to the boring food and do this until she will eat a little bit and slowly back it off.

She will eventually grow tired of being hungry and should begin to eat normally. She's refusing to eat because she knows she will get something else. You have to break her of that mindset. Her current diet doesn't sound healthy either.
poppysma
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-09-2015, 07:41 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm going to try a combination of some different dog foods again and a bit of tough love and see how that works. If there was just something I could say she really loved it would be great, but she doesn't and that makes it quite hard to tempt her
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2015, 08:29 AM
We get similar problems with Pepsi (JRT) She will go ages without food. She likes fish so I mix a small amount in with her kibble. She eats that then comes back through the day and snacks on the kibble.
If there is nothing that Poppy likes then you have a problem
Good luck.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2015, 09:03 AM
This may sound daft but have you tried a vegetarian diet.? Sweet potato and veggies.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >