View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 08:49 AM
Please don't use immodium on dogs, especially if it is a crossbreed. Collies & herding dogs can have a fatal reaction to any drugs derived from Invermection & if you have crossbreeds/mongrels your dog could have collie etc in it's genetic make up.

When you feed the rice is it cooked until it is sticky ? If it isn't then your dog won't be able to absorb any from the rice.

Sounds to me like a possible IBS or similar. Has your vet done any blood tests ?
~sophie~
New Member!
Female 

24-09-2008, 08:55 AM
Tried the rice cooked until sticky she was on for 2 weeks.
No bloods done at the moment, the nurse said to keep an eye on her and if she starts going lethargic and dehydrated to take her down there
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 08:58 AM
My friend is a doctor and he does not believe in using imodium unless you are sure the stomach complaint is not bug related. If there is a bug in the stomache the diarrohea is a way of flushing the system through, if you stop the flushing system the bug remains in the stomache, breeds, give more tummy pains and the condition can last for much longer.

The same would apply to a dog digestive system.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
My friend is a doctor and he does not believe in using imodium unless you are sure the stomach complaint is not bug related. If there is a bug in the stomache the diarrohea is a way of flushing the system through, if you stop the flushing system the bug remains in the stomache, breeds, give more tummy pains and the condition can last for much longer.

I quite agree with all of the above . I don't beleive in using Imodium . On the one occasion I did use it because we were travelling and it would have been awul to have a dog with diarrhoea on a 3 hour car journey then a 4 hour ferry crossing my dog got really ill and ended up on a drip for 2 days
Imodium won't cure the cause of the diarrhoes in any case .
~sophie~
New Member!
Female 

24-09-2008, 09:13 AM
I only gave her the tiniest bit and won't be giving her anymore..

Are there any natural remedies?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post

That is true but this dog has already had a course of ABs and the condition has not totally cleared, the remaining loose stools are probably caused by the ABs and the immodium should clear that up, you will note I did suggest that the owner asked the vet if another course of ABs were required.

However some would rather try imodium to see if it works and then use ABs if it does not, over use of ABs may well be the cause of all the hospital and now home based infections that can't be cured by ABS, Loperamide causes no problems and can be tried for 48 hours, if that fails then the problem is more deep seated and one should look to finding the cause before prescribing further medication.
~sophie~
New Member!
Female 

29-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Test came back from vet of her sample and they can't see anything wrong there...

She did do a thickish poo today, still soft but alot better than of late.
Back to the vets tomorrow for a blood test and I hope she's going to be ok
darcys_mother
New Member!
Female 

29-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Hi Sophie,
I know this is an old thread but I have had the same problems with my dog on and off for years. I think I may have finally resolved this for my dog. I was just wondering how your dog is doing and if you managed to solve this terrible dilemma?
Seems the problem with my boy was feeding dry food (although it was a high quality food - Artemis) along with the raw meats. Apparently the kibble takes twice as long to break down as the raw meat does, leaving the raw meat in the gut for too long subsequently turning rancid inside then presenting as the most awful smelling and looking stools ever.
Ive had Mr Darcy on Lentils, cooked brown rice, oats, and the usual grated veg and raw mince/chicken necks for 3 weeks now and not a sloppy stool in sight.
My boy was happy and active during the diarrhea period and didnt seem sick, hundreds of dollars in vet bills, bucketloads of worry later, I've finally worked this out.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2