Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TalentedMrRiply
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-07-2008, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Rhubarb! This dog has no behaviour issues, and some behaviour issues are made a lot worse post castration. Its amazing really, one person mentioned on here and she was dead right. People moan like mad if a tail is docked "in case" it gets damaged and results in pain and discomfort for the dog, but popele are happy to surgically remove dogs insides "in case" they get a rare disease that occurs in a very very small number of animals. diseases like prostate tumours occur in neutered dogs as they do in uneutered ones.
Well luckily I kept my Rotties in a jar, I just need to find a nice Vet to put them back for him

Just out of interest, are you against spaying as well?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by TalentedMrRiply View Post
Well luckily I kept my Rotties in a jar, I just need to find a nice Vet to put them back for him

Just out of interest, are you against spaying as well?
Im not against any spaying or neutering if its necessary. I have 2 spayed bitches here.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 06:39 AM
Glad you put a stop to it DB, why on earth try to spoil a nicely made, well behaved dog just because you have a bee in the bonnet, or rather and more likely the vets lecture did.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 06:48 AM
We are lucky to have a great vet, he has never even mentioned getting D done, not that we go very often but cant say it has ever been an issue, alot of vets have a very narrow minded view of pei's but we finally found one that judges on individual dogs and not what "could" go wrong as a breed.

D will definitely be keeping his bits!!!!
SR
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-07-2008, 07:10 AM
Neutering may calm some Breeds that are aggressive but it is known there are Breeds it wouldn't make any difference to atall.

If there's no good reason then i'd say leave alone.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 07:14 AM
My vet recommended neutering for Lennon, as he was such an oiky little sod. I spoke at length to his breeder, who agreed and pointed out that if I had no intention of breeding from him (which I had already agreed NOT to do) then he should be snipped.
I didn't feel pressured and had no hesitation taking the advice of those more knowledgable than me.

Having said that, I don't believe anyone should be forced into having a dog neutered if it's not what they want.

Each to his own....... your dog, your choice!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 07:18 AM
Takara was my first dog and when I took her to the vets as a pup they went through everything like worming, fleaing etc casually and just added in 'spay at 6 months' as though it was fact.

Takara was not spayed at 6 months, however I had her spayed aged 2 after two phantom pregnancies and behavioural issues arising from it.

I do kind of wish she'd never had the chance to go through all of that because it did spoil her temperament a little.

And now it turns out they might not have even done it right as she seems to have had a season since!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Each to his own....... your dog, your choice!
Thats how it should be Vicki, the owners choice, not the Vets!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 08:23 AM
If a vet is not listening to an owner -e.g. asking her feelings on neutering but insisting it`s the best thing for the dog- then regardless of your views on neutering it is not a relationship that bodes well for the animal. Vets are not infallible or all-knowing, and there is usually more than one treatment for any condition. The vet may also give advice on feeding, behaviour etc. even though their training doesn`t give them the knowledge to do so. If an owner feels bullied they should leave in any case.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 08:28 AM
I have no problem with getting your dog 'done' if its your choice and you don't want to breed or show. To me though its odd that a dog isn't fully grown until 14 months or so but vets are more then happy to chop bits off at six months. Surley this is the human eqvialant (sp?) of a 16 having a boob job, un-needed risk and GA.

The vets pushed us into having our cat done when she was 5 months old. They said if we didn't then with it being spring she you get with kitten right away. We trusted our vet and went ahead after this she hardly grew and is now 11 and is a small cat that can't really meiow, she still makes these really quiet mewing kitten noises. I'm sure a lot of this is because she was spayed to early as before this is was a normal healthy little kitten.
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »