Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-11-2009, 05:14 PM

"Much was yer dug"?

Since I got my pup 2 months ago i have been asked at least a couple of times a week how much I paid for him.

The first time i was really quite taken aback, and just told them. Is this not an incredibly rude question? I'd never dream of asking someone that. The next time i got asked i just said i didn't know he was a gift, and i've stuck to that story ever since.

Is this a common occurence?
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2009, 05:27 PM
No I've never been asked this ( too reserved in Edinburgh maybe!) Maybe they are trying to find out if he's a pedigree and if he's worth stealing! A sinister thought but you never know these days. You're right to keep it to yourself anyway. Nosy devils!
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-11-2009, 05:35 PM
I'd had thought that myself, i must admit some of the folk that have asked looked the sort! But I've had young women ask me too who I think were asking just to be nosey.

I mentioned it to my mum and she said she'd been asked too, when she'd been out with him.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2009, 05:48 PM
I'm always getting asked that about mine and usually by the most unsavoury looking, making it look a bit dodgy and makes me uncomfortable, I'd never dream of asking some that.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Yep - been asked several times with a few of mine (mainly Trip and Siren) ....
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2009, 05:58 PM
yup have been asked lots of times, it doesnt really bother me though.
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Do you tell them? I think it's really rude, and it makes me feel awkward.

It's not always asked like that, I get "oh he must have been expensive" or "was he expensive?". I just think it's none of their business but obviously don't say that. it's not something i'd ever ask, why do they care?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by littlewolf View Post
Do you tell them? I think it's really rude, and it makes me feel awkward.

It's not always asked like that, I get "oh he must have been expensive" or "was he expensive?". I just think it's none of their business but obviously don't say that. it's not something i'd ever ask, why do they care?
it depends on, the way they ask I guess, if its someone who really doesnt know what a decent rottie should cost and its a genuine question I dont mind talking to them about the cost of a good pup from health tested parents..but I do get the bit in about what they need to look for in a breeder health tests and so on
But if its some wee eejit just looking for a hard dug I tend to be a bit less nice about it,

if I have vinnie or holly with me I didnt pay anything for them I bred them myself lol.... not that this is a cheap option, lol, its prob the most expensive way to get a well bred pup.
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-11-2009, 07:45 PM
i get asked quite alot. ive had people stopping at traffic lights rolling down there windows and asking how much they cost to buy. Doesnt bother me really but, i would never ask anybody i didnt know how much a dog cost
Freysterdewdrop
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-11-2009, 07:51 PM
I get asked how much I paid for cody and frey, never for meg. I always answer that frey was a rescue and I paid nothing for cody. I answer genuine queries but I usually ignore the 'dodgy' looking people. Cody is a good deterent to the 'dodgy' people, he is a good judge of character x
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >