Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2009, 07:05 PM

Pond Tips??

Hi There,

Well, im finally looking to start getting my garden sorted this year. First thing - a pond! I have some goldfish and a koi sat in a hole in the ground in my mums garden so i really need to get the pond done So i bought one of those pond moult things (cant be dealing with liners!!!) so gonna try and get the hole dug this weekend. Then get the mould put in.

Im putting it in the back corner of my garden and im planning to do a waterfall (if i can work out how!!) and also a rockery around it. The garden will eventually be gravelled when i can afford that so i thought a nice rockery would fit in..

So, can anyone give me some tips to not mess it all up? Or money saving tips? Those would be much appreciated!!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Hi Jessica, make sure the ground is level and the sides smooth before you put the mould in otherwise it will rock or will split if there is too much movement when the water is in there.
It is better if part of the pond is shaded so the fishies don't get too warm/cold.
You might need a net over it if you have a lot of cats in the area, or seagulls
A rockery will look natural around the pond and a waterfall will just finish it off.
Good luck
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2009, 08:07 PM
elaineb is your girl She sorted out my waterlily. I'm a novice with ponds
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Right, well, I started digging the hole last night! Didnt realise how deep it needed to be, gonna be hard work lol

I'll keep you guys updated!! I still have my 4 koi at my mums looking happy and healthy (as well as some goldfish and a frog!) so just need to get the pond in the ground and get some plants sorted.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Ok, update on this!

Firstly, gave up on the mould lol I could not get the hole the right shape (even BF couldnt so its not a girl thing ) so i borrowed one of my mums old pond liners and have used that instead!! Made it a bit bigger as the liner was bigger than the mould, so i have a sort of "shelf" bit at the front thats only a few inches deep, then a couple of deeper bits on the sides, then the really deep bit in the middle...

Anyway, filled it up with water, added the 3 lilies from my mums pond which may or may not be alive (the dogs kept taking the little baskets out and running round with them ) and put the fishies in. Lovely Cassia labrador helped the whole process by getting IN the pond avec le fishies and having a swim. Very helpful girl! So the water is a wee bit dirty now!!

BUT, i ordered 70 mixed plants from ebay - first time i've ever used it They arrived today so shall put them in tonight and hope for the best! Then im going to put some gravel around the pond, some cobble thingies on the edge to make it look pretty, and then buy some heathers and those mini conifers to go behind it where i have piled all the excess dirt up! It WILL look nice, honest lol
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 07:25 PM
We need pictures!!
Before and afters
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
We need pictures!!
Before and afters
Indeed.
It must be a big pond to get 70 plants in it.............I jest.
It all sounds lovely.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2009, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Indeed.
It must be a big pond to get 70 plants in it.............I jest.
It all sounds lovely.
They're only cuttings really and i expect my piggy koi to have a nibble at some so i dont imagine 70 will make it

I shall have to get some pictures this weekend... But, DISASTER!!!

Riley labrador decided to get in the pond last night He was actually SWIMMING in it Never own a labrador....