Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Thanks for your sympathy re my dad, but sadly it isn't an unusual situation in working class people who have worked themselves into the ground all of their lives (starting off in the pits at 14 looking after the ponies). I wouldn't have felt any differently had he lived longer, I still don't agree with the wholesale selling of council houses.
Whilst everyone had the so called chance to buy a council home...not everyone was in the position to be able to, thanks to incredibly high unemployment.

No Colin, I don't think that the miners who were out on strike were being greedy, I think they were fighting for their lives in more ways than one.

The thing is, the only thing in life we can be certain of is death. We can't know when it will happen, but what a shame to waste the important years, the years of hopfully good health, by saving money and working ourselves into the ground for a retirement that could be incredibly short. I know so many people who have dropped dead very soon after retiring. Once they relax their bodies seem to realise just how worn out they are. Live for today because tomorrow you could die.
Money is a necessity but I've found that those with a lot of it tend to be quite unhappy and anxious people...
I really do know what you mean about the body just given up because of being over worked, as that why I think I had my two heart attacks in 2005. Because not only was I on the sites during the day, but I also did alot of work for the insurance companies at night (emergency call out stuff) so I was burning the candle at both ends so to speak.

That's the main reason I gave up the tools and went into the design side of things, plus I'm now working in the comfort of my own home.

But that all said, since the day I left school and then Uni I have never been unemployed and have been prepared to travel to where the work has been.

Something my dear old Dad told me when I was a kid was that you only have 40 years to work, but you could end up living for another 30. So work as hard as you can for those 40 and enjoy the 30. Well I guess I was really lucky because when he passed away in 2002 he was 96 years old, and up until he had his stroke in 1999 he was still very active, both mentally and physically and tat's what I'm inspiring to be like. Fingers crossed and all that.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2008, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
I really do know what you mean about the body just given up because of being over worked, as that why I think I had my two heart attacks in 2005. Because not only was I on the sites during the day, but I also did alot of work for the insurance companies at night (emergency call out stuff) so I was burning the candle at both ends so to speak.

That's the main reason I gave up the tools and went into the design side of things, plus I'm now working in the comfort of my own home.

But that all said, since the day I left school and then Uni I have never been unemployed and have been prepared to travel to where the work has been.

Something my dear old Dad told me when I was a kid was that you only have 40 years to work, but you could end up living for another 30. So work as hard as you can for those 40 and enjoy the 30. Well I guess I was really lucky because when he passed away in 2002 he was 96 years old, and up until he had his stroke in 1999 he was still very active, both mentally and physically and tat's what I'm inspiring to be like. Fingers crossed and all that.
Sorry about your heart attacks Colin. I do understand what you are saying too, I honestly do. I would just rather enjoy the life I have now, than the life I may or may not have years down the line. Life is too short.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2008, 07:20 PM
Nope

I wanted to just put nope - but it said my message was too short.....so i shall put......no no no nope!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Nope

I wanted to just put nope - but it said my message was too short.....so i shall put......no no no nope!
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2008, 08:40 PM
I'm sorry about your dad Ramble - my mum died aged 51, and was ill for over a decade before dying. But I don't think the North South divide can be blamed for everything bad - my dad worked so much I only got to know him once my mum has passed away!!! He worked to extend the house for 30 years, to give mum her dream house, she died half way thru the building work!

I have a great deal of respect for maggie thatcher, I think people should give her a a break, she did what she felt was best xx
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-07-2008, 07:19 AM
Isn't it just.....isn't it interesting that the small businesses that prospered were in the south as well. It's grim up north huh?

It does indeed sound more like communism, but in fairness H...what about the people who couldn't go out and earn the slice of bread, what if out of the 5 that didn't ear, 2 were children, 2 were disabled in some way and one was elderly and incapacitated? What then?

Well let's just say it will be a VERY long time before this country sees another female PM. No party will elect a woman as it's head for a very long time. She didn't set a good example and with people like H saying how much she admired her because of the amoutn of testosterone she had...perhaps she isn't admired as being a woman.
Mrs T will have no bearing on whether a party elects a woman as its leader - Mrs T was the strongest candidate and were a woman to be the strongest candidate again they will become leader - the fact that the choice of women in all the major parties is pretty cack is not Mrs T's fault - no one in Labour has Blair's charisma, Browns 'so-called' track record, Camerons freshness or the likes Hague and co.s debating panache - nothing to do with Mrs T - all to do with whats on offer...
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-07-2008, 07:23 AM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
This thread does show the north/south devide turned into a chasm. She did not represent the whole country as she was elected to do so. On this thread quite a few who support her are from the home counties and that imo is not a coincidence.
the current labour party is as divisive - people in scotland get more tax contribution spent on them per head than people in england etc as does wales - poverty levels are worse off an the gap between the haves and have nots is as wide as it has ever been??
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-07-2008, 07:27 AM
I suppose then ultimately it comes down to what you admire in a person. If you admire someone that was willing to walk all over millions of people,who thought they were the most important person in the world (and so got a shock when their own party turned on them), then I suppose she was a great role model.
Personally,she stands for everything I do NOT admire, people only being out for them seleves and making money. That doesn't interest me, I'm more concerned about emotional health and well being.
so anyway way back in the thread i asked what you would have done differently, what decisions you would have made to stabilise the country, pay for holes in the countrys budgt and get the country moving in the right direction - you never gave me any answers - i also asked who would have been a better alternative at the time or now and you chose not to answer that - yet you seem rather animated about Helens approval of her as a role model??
So who would have made a better alternative at that time to run this country ( not be a nun in calcutta? )
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2008, 07:34 AM
Interesting question Nickyboy, looking forward to the reply!
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-07-2008, 07:34 AM
Not out to get you at all H, you should know I wouldn't do that.
I just saw first hand the damage that woman did and the way the country went. The North South divide was very real in Thatcher's time.
I had friends beaten to a pulp by the police on peaceful anti poll tax demos (and no they weren't doing anything other than walking along in a peaceful manner...these people wouldn't even stand on a spider). I have had close family member's lives destroyed by her and her policies and I have seen the way she ensured whole areas economies were wiped out. I could go on at great length about the damage she did...I saw nothing good.
I asked the question earlier...what did she actually do that was positive for the WHOLE country???????
what about the miners who were beaten by other minors because they chose to work?

yeah working in the city I have seen the peaceful demonstrations first hand by the serial campaigners who always seem to have time for a march while the rest of us are bank rolling their state handouts and are never accountable for the cost and damage their 'peaceful' demonstrations caused.
Maggies record on free speech can hold its head up high compared to the 'new labour' governements - where you can get arrested for doing a role call of our fallen soldiers - but preach hate and death to christians and jews when and where you like.
Seriously come up with some alternative please instead of these little one sided slices of your experiences to make sweeping generalisations about Thatchers Britain - what would you have done - who would you have annointed to see your better Britain through?
Page 29 of 33 « First < 19 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 > Last »