Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spaceman
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post

I hope my other post regarding the seminar i went to will give you some hope……….
Yup –thanks for that – good stuff. I have looked at the APBC website and followed a link to the most local member. £125 for a 2 hour home visit. I’m not fussed about the cost and I can see that a home visit is great for a lot of behaviour issues. But for chasing? Must admit I was thinking more along the lines of an “out and about” session.

Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Spaceman, it sounds like your springer has been free hunting in his previous home……….

Have you been on itsaspringthing website? It's a site dedicated to springers and has a wealth of information, as well as a message board with a lot of active members……..

Helen
Free Hunting - I think you’ve hit the nail on the head! I don’t know much about his background – the rescue centre gave me a copy of the previous owner’s assessment and it appears they lived in South London (vet was at a pet supermarket). They also said he runs off in the “woods” for a bit but always comes back!

From his behaviour, and lack of respect for barbed wire (!), I think this is a very new environment for him. Down here we have real wildlife – different to the perverted politicians and cottagers found in London woods/parks – LOL! They said he was scared of loud noises, nervous around children and did submissive wee’s when told off. I haven’t seen any real evidence of these problems – we banged off a few with a 4/10, it made him jump but he was fine. I recently had him close by with a 12 bore – no probs.

We did a 4 mile long-line walk yesterday – it took nearly 3 hrs! This included a 10 minute Condor moment ‘cause I was getting fed up, plus I had to get the Leatherman out to free the long-line twice! Did the same route this morning – 2 hours. I’m unhappy that this is insuffiecient exercise for him, but we are doing a couple of miles road walking on top. Its so muddy out at the moment, and the long line makes it hard work - I feel quite knackered!

Itsaspringthing – hadn’t come up in any searches I’d done – what a brilliant site! Thanks for pointing it out!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-01-2007, 11:15 PM
I lived in South London for most of my life and shock horror they actually do have woods quite a few of them actually I do mean proper woods too not just a copse in the park, never met a politician, or cottager either, and have to say I've met more perverts on trains and in pubs than I ever met in the woods. Sadly they also have guns in South London not to mention fireworks going off constantly for about 5 months of the year, with those that sound like canon fire being the most popular.
Also it is generally accepted that dogs can and frequently do modify their behaviour when they move into a new home, as the owners change, so do the rules and boundaries.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2007, 10:14 AM
As others have already mentioned, I would definitely work on getting Brodie focused on a toy. Collies adore playing ball and mine will get quite transfixed by his ball on a rope and show no interest in what else may be going on around him.

He is being trained to herd, but interestingly shows little inclination to try to herd anything other than sheep

I hope you manage to get the problem straightened out as not many joggers or cyclists appreciate being chased
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2007, 10:22 AM
Did the same route this morning – 2 hours. I’m unhappy that this is insuffiecient exercise for him, but we are doing a couple of miles road walking on top. Its so muddy out at the moment, and the long line makes it hard work - I feel quite knackered
It could be you are giving him just "exercise". He may need something to do. My spaniels will take a full days work but then they will take a day with a couple of walks a day which aren't very long at all. If it's out of season, I do a bit of dummy work with them to tire them out. I think just walking them, isn't always sufficient, you have to stimulate them.

We have just taken on a 8 month old rescue. She came from a decent home who just didn't want her anymore. They had but some training in but they were having problems with the recall. That is something we've not seen. She is pretty good on recall. Anyway, she always gets a bit restless after her dinner in the evening. We were taking her for a walk down the road and back again. She was still restless. I took her out and did 10 mins training with her. Just sitting, staying, heeling etc and she settled. Using her brain had tired her out more than just walking.

Do you know what lines he is?

Helen
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2007, 10:57 AM
hi everyone,

as some of you know i took on a rescue springer nearly 8 months ago now. he came to me with no manners and no basic training. he had been just left to his own devices basically. he has been very hard work, but its finally paying off. i've only just started letting his long line trail on the ground. he has a very high prey/chase drive and to try and break that 'deafness' when hes in 'prey drive' has been very hard. i've found somewhere close to home where i can walk them both, its full of rabbit holes etc, but is only a small area. he can have a good run, a good dig and hopefully that will fulfill his prey drive. all i ask of him is that he follows my direction, ie. this way, that way, what's this etc, all with a happy, squeaky voice!! bet the neighbours love me at 6 in the morning . i dont trust him to be let off the lead anywhere else yet, unfortunatley there isnt anywhere that is totally secure. so if i take them somewhere else, its long line attached to his harness.

i do lots of training with him at home though to try and tire his 'brain' out. which does work. mainly clicker training, with lots of rewards if he does as i ask of him. i try and teach him something new every week and i work on this single thing a few times a day. he loves clicker work and i get his full attention. at the moment i'm teaching him to give his left paw and right paw when i ask, which he's picking up brilliantly. i think helen summed it up by saying that they dont always need 'exercise', just need something to stimulate the old grey matter.

i also take him to 3 training clubs per week and he's shattered when he gets home :smt002
spaceman
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-01-2007, 07:36 AM
Probably not the best bred dog in the world, but from his size and feathering I’m pretty sure mines the working variety.

He’s not shown alot of interest in toys (yet). The most successful game is hunting slices of hot dog. “Do a Sit/Wait”, a recall “Come/Sit” and a “Find It” – varying the rooms we start from and work in, or in the garden. I’ll try it out on a walk this morning and see if I can get him distracted!

Retrieving – best I’ve achieved so far is making him “Take” his kong and Carry it to the kitchen for stuffing. Once filled, he will “Take It”, do a “Wait” and then clear off on an “OK”.

Bit of a theme here – no distractions!

He likes training class and it does seem to tire him out. Road walks – I’ve been concentrating on cracking the pulling rather than heel work (chicken and egg?). Plus “Watch” and change of direction to try and get him focusing on me. We stop in a couple of car parks to do proper heel work and short lead recalls.

Admittedly, I am a bit paranoid about the amount of exercise – possibly better that way – and keeps me in “all weather mode”!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2