View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Annie18
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-03-2006, 02:14 PM
Hiya Ashlady :smt041 , You've forgotten one very serious issue - what about little Henry, is he to lose his 5 star establishment . You could be screwing up all his marriage and children plans

Don't forget how much it costs to move - four years ago, it cost me over £5000 and that's before you start buying stuff for the new house.

Just cos you liked an area 7 years ago, doesn't mean you'll like it now and I agree with the person who said that no matter how good a friend, next door can be just a bit too close!

Having said that, I can well understand the desire to be mortgage free, especially with the endowment shortfall.

Think you could well end up going round in circles with this one - thought of visiting a fortune teller?
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 02:35 PM
im not being funny but as helena said your house is your retirement fund...how much will each property be worth in the future? could you afford to retire on the other house's equity?????
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 03:13 PM
Gosh i can see why you're having a dilemma!
I'd LOVE to live next door to my best mate, but i shared a flat with her for a while so we know each other really well!
I too am dreadful at making decisions!
If I were you I'd go and look at the house and get an idea of how it could be extended in the future.
Houses appreciiate in value over time, so you will make money long term , even if it is less than you would on your current property, but the money you save on your mortgage ( and on petrol going to work!) could be reinvested into a pension plan or other property, you don't have to spend it!!!!!!! (Although that could be good too.....!!!!!)
I believe it's about quality of life, would your life be better living next door to your best friend, closer to work and close to a nice big field to exercise your dogs on? You don't say much about what is keeping you in your current house, other than it's location and post code and size. What about friends????? Does your daughter have more friends at your current address or where you would move to? What about you and OH (other than your best mate?!) On a daily basis..where would you all be happier and where would life be easier? Would your daughter have to change school? Would she be okay with that??? (Sorry if this has all already been said...have only read the thread quickly!) Ultimately the decision has to be based on where you would all be happiest...good luck! Knowing me i'd ummm and ahhh til the other house was sold anyway!
It's exciting though isn't it???!!!!!
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 03:13 PM
Helloooo just caight up on this.
Well if it was me I would be off like a shot!! Mortgage free and the proceeds of the Ever Decreasing Endowment to look forward to. Plus its not like you are moving to the armpits of the world...you know the neighbourhood and know you will be happy there. Go for it....taking your stair runner clips of course!! must admit that popped into my head as well

What you have to think is....if you don't take this opportunity and the house is sold...are you going to spend the next 5 years kicking yourself cos you didn't do it??
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Annie18
Hiya Ashlady :smt041 , You've forgotten one very serious issue - what about little Henry, is he to lose his 5 star establishment . You could be screwing up all his marriage and children plans
Oh, I'd forgotten all about Henry Good job you nipped on to save the day San Alot to think about I agree, what d'you think will be best - tea leaves or crystal ball?
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 08:26 PM
Go and have a look get a feel for it.
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by Ailsa1
I believe it's about quality of life
I can say - hand on heart - that it is beyond any doubt that quality of life for Phil and I would be far higher, all of our 'friends' are 'that way' not this - we made alot of friends when we lived there before, not just neighbours but folk you go on hols with, spend most weekends with etc. etc (Helena and Annie18 could tell you all stories of our now famous goings on with 'The Smiths') and we all still travel to be together. ALL the neighbours here are great, but after 7 years they are still just neighbour friends!! (does that make sense?) and I know Po that well I could tell you the colour of her navel fluff :smt044 The lack of money worries would help my stress enormously and therefore have a knock on effect for all of us. His family are all within walking distance (a good walk) so Charlie would get to see more of her family (she doesn't now 'cos no-one can be bothered )

Charlie has only ever lived here, but when I mentioned about going to live next to Po, she jumped for joy, told all her mates at school she was leaving and started to pack!!!!!!!! (no kidding) I could run her to this school anyway until it's time to move up to High School if she wants.

I love this house now because we spent alot of time, money and effort on it and Charlie had alot of friends here (she woudl make new friends there I have no doubt, and the Smith kids are alot closer)

There are the downsides - but they are just to do with the worth of that one compared to this

Originally Posted by Ailsa1
It's exciting though isn't it???!!!!!
Not quite the word I'd use
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by Het
What you have to think is....if you don't take this opportunity and the house is sold...are you going to spend the next 5 years kicking yourself cos you didn't do it??
The answer to that is easy - yes!

I still regret not buying a house on the estate when I could have 7 years ago

That is until I drive through the lanes on my way home from work - but that's just a view right? I can drive and look at that any time
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 08:43 PM
Hi

You really do sound undecided - go have a look at the other house weigh up the pro's a cons then toss a coin.
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz
Hi

You really do sound undecided - go have a look at the other house weigh up the pro's a cons then toss a coin.
Kazz, it's making my head hurt - truely!! I need to stop thinking about it for a while and I don't trust myself with the coin, so when the time comes, you toss and I'll call
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >