Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2006, 07:18 PM

Major Dilema - to move or not to move

We live in a fairly substantial 3 bed 1930's semi in a very nice area, very close to open countyside in a grove of about 24 houses all of which are fantastic folk, there are plenty of children that Charlie goes to school with that all play together outside in the good weather. The school isn't great (because it's a 'nice' area we get hardly any funding - the parents are expected to pay for anything!!)

Our best friends of many years has phoned today to say that her next door neighbour has a for sale sign outside. This is in the same area we moved from to move where we are now! The house is smaller but the garden is better laid out and slightly larger. There is a gate that leads from the garden straight into a large field area, it is very close to work so I could come home at lunch (or my mate would have a key anyway!) It is a small estate off the main road but the address is not as good as where we are. The price of the house is such that if we sold this one we could buy that one outright!!! Mortgage free!! (we are looking at a £15,000 shortfall at the moment 'cos of the endowment fiasco)

Charlie says "when are we moving?" and our friends have started to rearrange the rear fence to accomodate a gate

What would you do?
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-03-2006, 07:32 PM
Its the old expression isnt it Heather-location,location,locaion! Could you picture yourself living there?

Me personally-If i had no sentimental ties to excisting house and was expecting a big shortfall on endowment-i'd go for it.

I know you said its a smaller house Heather,but is there enough room to extend the property or even a loft conversion if space maybe tight for the whole clan.
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2006, 07:42 PM
I agree about the three L's Steve, but that's what will enable us to go mortgage free (the 3 L's belonging to this house!). We used to live on the same estate 8 years ago but moved a month after Charlie was born. I can see us living there, but the Hyacinth in me prefers the address we have now along with the size

It is still a 3 bed semi (and there are only three of us + 2 dogs of course), just the rooms aren't as large - my friend says I have too much stuff anyway
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2006, 07:54 PM
To be mortgage free is a great incentive and as Steve says there are often ways to improve the house. Karen
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-03-2006, 07:56 PM
lol-had to laugh at your Hyacinth expression Heather!

You sound like your emotionally tied to your present home and quite honestly,if your hearts not 100% into moving-i wouldnt do it.I couldnt move from here even if it meant living mortgage free because i genuinly like living here.
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-03-2006, 08:01 PM
I think I'd stay put ..if you're house is in so much of a better location then it will increase in value at a much faster rate .

we have a large field area at the back of our house with a gate its great but does have its down side -we have to be extra vigilant to make sure the gate is secure all the time -other people use the field and walk very close to our back fence ( drives the dogs mad )
I love my best friend to bits but don't think I'd want to live next door to her ..it may be too close
Also you moved away from that area 8 yrs ago ..what made you move away then ?? do those reasons still stack up ?? I know you'd be mortgage free but would you see it as a backwards move ?? ...just my opinion feel free to disregard it
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2006, 08:23 PM
Murphy, your point of view is very welcome, I need as many different opinions as possible Making me think of many different aspects is good, just what I need - unbiased and all that!

So........we moved when Charlie was born as we only had a small 2 bed bungalow and needed more space.

........... we moved here because I come from here and I thought that as my high school was rated one of the best, it would be good to send Charlie there (as it turns out that reason is not valid - as the kids are richer, they just buy better quality drugs )

As we lived on the same estate before, moving back to my 'Mucker' would be fantastic - we lived in each others house before

Good point about the field gate, hadn't thought about that at all
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2006, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
lol-had to laugh at your Hyacinth expression Heather!

You sound like your emotionally tied to your present home and quite honestly,if your hearts not 100% into moving-i wouldnt do it.I couldnt move from here even if it meant living mortgage free because i genuinly like living here.
I do like living here, and I love the house, but I loved the bungalow before and liked that place too Incidentally the day we moved in here - I stood on the drive, crying, saying "I can't live in this sh1thole, take me back home" so you see, I can get a little Hyacinth anywhere!! This is a better address there's no denying that - but there is nice too.

Emotionally I'm not tied, just that yet again, we bought a s**t tip and transformed it into a beautiful home (well it would be, if it was ever tidy )

HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2006, 09:25 PM
Oh chick - what a dilemma. I was in this much of a quandry about getting Len snipped tomorrow. I've just had to have a conversation with his breeder...

Not sure what to tell you honey - looks like there are pro's and con's for both properties, and you obviously get on really well with your mate next door, so I don't foresee that being anything more than a pro.

You're gonna have to follow your heart on this one.

Just a thought, what does your OH think?

minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2006, 09:33 PM
For me the bigger garden would win me over every time, but I live for gardening and feeding birds and I don't have a family to house! I've always taken the attitude that having a bigger house just means you have bigger gaps between your furniture, whereas having more outside space gives you more freedom for kids and dogs to play and for you to garden and bring nature a bit closer ('cos I know you love the birds too!). Combine that with it being close to work and not having a mortgage and I know which I'd go for!

I say go with your gut instinct, whatever that might be. It's a big decision and there's bound to be regrets whichever way you decide so you just need to work out which decision give you regrets you can't live with (if that makes any sense at all!)
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »