View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2006, 06:39 PM
Don't think there is a lot to choose between the leather but on the cheaper ones parts of the furniture that is not or little seen may be in a matching mock leather, like the back of a settee.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2006, 10:50 PM
Hi Ashlady

Regarding quality, look for sofas with less seams in it - those which have more seams in it use lots of different cuts of leather which means they are generally off cuts and not always of good quality. Those which use less seams have less leather panels and are using a large piece of leather which is generally of good quality or else they wouldn't be able to use it.

You can get leather conditioners as well which keeps the leather in pristine condition and keeps it nice and soft which helps avoid cracking.

We have a leather suite and totally recommend it, so easy to clean and wipe Fern's muddy paw prints off.

Hope this helps.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-01-2006, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by Ashlady
Thaks for the advice guys May I ask another question?

How can you tell good leather from bad leather? Is it always to do with price?
When i was looking last year for a leather suite Ashlady,a sales person explained the differences to me.Top quality grade 1 leather is very soft and the little pock marks in the surface are more random.Grade 2 leather has been 'stamped' to achieve the marks because the hide has been taken from less desirable parts of the cow and can be thicker (which makes it stiffer).

Mine is grade 2 leather,but i cannot fault its beauty and easyness to keep clean-i got the suite from DFS for a really good price! For conditioning the leather,pop into your nearest Halfords and get their 'Autoglym leather care pack'.If it can keep car seats pristine-household leather is easy!

ps.Aston Martin and Rolls Royce get their leather from Switzerland because they dont have barbed wire there which can damage the hide (im not joking!).
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2006, 09:45 AM
Just to say a big Thank You for your advice Guys. Armed with this information I should be able to choose a suite that will give years of service - anyone want to go shopping?
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2