Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Is their coat as excessive as a ACS? Many breeds will get stuff in their coat, but I can imagine the ACS having more in their coat, when one come into the kennels his coat was a nightmare, although he was also aggressive, so trying to get anything back out again was a nightmare, and he didn't have as much coat as the first pic I showed.
OK then, add the Afghan, the TT, the PP, the Braid???

You cant get more excessive than that??

So you think, the ACS, is going to be more prone to collecting debris , than any other coated breed???
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I dont know Chaz, maybe you aught to e.mail the owner of the show Champion dog that is also working in the field, if she cuts the coat in between going in the show ring and working it???
I might just do that , the links still aren't working, and what ever I put into google is just showing up with American cocker spaniels, and a few Kennels that are breeding 'American Cockerpoos' , so I'll try again and see what I find out.

OK then, add the Afghan, the TT, the PP, the Braid???

You cant get more excessive than that??

So you think, the ACS, is going to be more prone to collecting debris , than any other coated breed???
Any excessive coated breed has the chance to collect debris, but it seems to be in some breeds that they are have more of a excessive coat if they are show dogs, whether its thought to increase their chances in the ring or not I'm not sure, but I do wonder what the founder of some breeds would think now if they saw their dog come from a working dog that started off as a cross, turning into the impeccably groomed dogs you see in the show ring today.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

26-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Outside the Ring
An unusual day for a couple of exhibits at our December show. Although already receiving gundog training, on this day their owners decided to combine the day and in the morning they were at the show with 'mum' and in the afternoon went out with 'dad'!
Tisajas The Boy For Ozzy & Cottonsocks Chase Me

Photographed on the day, December 6th 2009.
Thanks to Mr.& Mrs Woolridge for letting us have these pictures.
Sorry, cant get pics up, but a delightful sight.

But two dogs , in the show ring in the morning, and on the field in the afternoon.//do you think they had their coats chopped inbetween
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

26-08-2010, 11:21 AM
I might just do that , the links still aren't working, and what ever I put into google is just showing up with American cocker spaniels, and a few Kennels that are breeding 'American Cockerpoos' , so I'll try again and see what I find out.

Any excessive coated breed has the chance to collect debris, but it seems to be in some breeds that they are have more of a excessive coat if they are show dogs, whether its thought to increase their chances in the ring or not I'm not sure, but I do wonder what the founder of some breeds would think now if they saw their dog come from a working dog that started off as a cross, turning into the impeccably groomed dogs you see in the show ring today.

Sorry Chaz, I am confused, take any of the above, you arer saying that the ones going in the show ring have more excessive coats than the ones going to pet homes!!

Even from the same litter or linage!!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Sorry, cant get pics up, but a delightful sight.

But two dogs , in the show ring in the morning, and on the field in the afternoon.//do you think they had their coats chopped inbetween
Managed to get onto the website googling the names that you qouted and have emailed the owner asking about the dogs, because I do like dogs that can work and show, and would be intrested in finding more out, so will wait and see if there is any thing extra done to the coat to prepare the dogs for both work and show and will say what I find out, if I'm wrong I'm wrong, but will have more respect for the ACS, but will not be surprised if there is something put on the coat to protect it when working, I have heard of sprays being put onto Poodle coats before working them, one person in the US even uses something called 'Pam Kitchen Spray'.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Sorry Chaz, I am confused, take any of the above, you arer saying that the ones going in the show ring have more excessive coats than the ones going to pet homes!!

Even from the same litter or linage!!
No, but over time more and more excessive coats are bred for the purpose of the show ring.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

26-08-2010, 11:37 AM
No, but over time more and more excessive coats are bred for the purpose of the show ring.
But it does not hinder a dog hinder the dog when it is working/playing, so where is your argument!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

26-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Managed to get onto the website googling the names that you qouted and have emailed the owner asking about the dogs, because I do like dogs that can work and show, and would be intrested in finding more out, so will wait and see if there is any thing extra done to the coat to prepare the dogs for both work and show and will say what I find out, if I'm wrong I'm wrong, but will have more respect for the ACS, but will not be surprised if there is something put on the coat to protect it when working, I have heard of sprays being put onto Poodle coats before working them, one person in the US even uses something called 'Pam Kitchen Spray'.
Which owner, how did you get their e.mail address, have tried to goggle the kennels myself, but couldn`t find anything??

Why would putting a conditioner in their coat be so detrimental to them being able to work.

Look forward to your findings!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2010, 12:04 PM
I used the site contact me to ask a general question to the site owner, if the dogs are on the site the site owner should be able to contact the dogs owner if they don't know the answer to the questions I posed. I did not say putting stuff in the coat is bad, but I know its done in poodles to make the coat more greasy, or harder for debris to get into the coat.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Look at the Afghans, / the powder puff, the TT , the Springer, many will compete in other disciples, along with simply enjoying life as a dog, walking through woods/on beaches ,/rain/mud.

Yet its funny how people can still find the time to turn their ragamuffin, into a well groomed show dog when its needed.
Exactly! Our Puffs get right muddy! so what leave um to it I say their dogs. when they need to look good they do. and I enjoy turning them from scraggy muffin into stunning dogs. I know they enjoy them selves, rolling in god knows what and Im not going to chase them around with a brush constantly.

I can honestly say that I dont think their coat would be so much of a problem when working. of course Im talking a true PP coat and not the awful thick coat that keeps popping up.

I get the feeling here that people just want something to slate show people off for. Presntation while in the ring, presentaion of show dogs while working, show dogs not always being 'fit for function'..and any other little comment that can be stuck in! Makes me laugh - cant wait for my next show to drag my over groomed, none fit cripples around the ring for my own ego.
Page 13 of 35 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 > Last »