Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kittylittle
New Member!
Female 

06-06-2014, 08:52 AM

Breeding from a nervous bitch?

Is it ever a good idea to breed from a bitch who is nervous?

Say a bitch were afraid of strangers on walks, so much so people thought they were a rescue dog, is it a good idea to breed from such a bitch?

Interested in thoughts on this.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-06-2014, 08:55 AM
No of course it isn't, breeding bitches should not only be a wonderful example of their breed they should have an excellent temperament too.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2014, 09:06 AM
Never a good idea our late Katie was from a nervous bitch she panicked when she gave birth and killed all but Katie, Katie was unpredictable and nervous all her life. Never breed from a dog that isn't best it can be.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

06-06-2014, 09:19 AM
As a breeder who once, and once only, bred from the happiest bitch ever but who hated her three pups, you have no guarantees when breeding.

But if you already have a nervous bitch, under no way should you breed from her in my opinion.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

06-06-2014, 09:20 AM
Agree with the others, no, you should only breed from a bitch with a sound temperament ,
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2014, 09:57 AM
Not just that but why on earth would you want to put a dog who is already stressed through the stress of pregnancy and birth?!?

Agree with everyone here, only breed from the best
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

06-06-2014, 10:13 AM
My girl was happy. She loved my other dogs and whatever puppies we had if we had them. She loved my children [then 6 and 8 IIRC] - she loved the cat who also loved her but hated the other dogs..

...but she hated her puppies to the extent that until I was able to bottle feed them I had to hold her in my arms and put one pup after the other -there were only three - onto a nipple - one at a time - to nurse. And make sure that she did not try to eat them when they were doing so.

Once they were bottle fed and she did not have to do anything with them, she was happy. But she would attack my other dogs, my children - so I had her spayed and when someone contacted me for a care home companion dog I let her go to live out a happy life as she wanted.

And oh did I feel guilty about rehoming her, but what else could I do?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-06-2014, 10:20 AM
I am so very lucky in that all of the girls have been excellent mothers. A brief moment of panic when they are born, as in Help What Do I do with them once we've got everyone organised and feeding then we are away.
Lucky too in the fact that Cariad is a self professed midwife and helps deliver them, I am just at the end of the line with a towel!!! She never lets anyone deliver her's though, that is for me. She is spayed now, but still delivered Mabs's first few puppies until she got into the swing of it with Cariad to show her how.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2014, 10:20 AM
Simple answer NO
Kittylittle
New Member!
Female 

06-06-2014, 10:34 AM
Interesting, as I thought.

I agree too, a nervous dog should not be bred from whatsoever.

However somewhere else someone who is breeding from a nervous bitch like this is putting themselves up as a very ethical breeder and others believe it a good idea and are encouraging.

Originally Posted by Imana-Banana View Post
Not just that but why on earth would you want to put a dog who is already stressed through the stress of pregnancy and birth?!?

Agree with everyone here, only breed from the best
Apparently to get a showing prospect from the bitch.

The bitch is shown, however not successfully.

I thought only the soundest of dogs should be bred from so I wondered to myself why it was being held up as the perfect way to breed ethically.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >