Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
I'll second that. Both the dogs I have had have been rescues who were hit/beaten at some point.
Smacking them would have achieved what? Another human to be scared of.
The reality those dogs lived with was cruelty by human hand, they sure as eggs weren't going to get the same from me.
I have to agree too. Reah was obviously ill treated when she came to me and incredibly hand shy, especially with men (which she would go into attack mode with) even me picking up the broom to sweep she go into 'screams' and I mean 'screams' it took me 2 years to get her to trust me with a broom.......IMO if I ever lifted my hand to her, that would be the end of our relationship
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Dogs definately know the difference between a hefty play slapping and even a fairly light correction slap, my lot queue up for the play slap but you wouldn't see 'em for dust if I used the correction slap.
Also for those that say the dogs don't listen to shouting, I actually find the quieter I speak, the more mine listen. Dogs follow calm leaders.

I don't have to shout at my dogs. I only have to change the tone of my voice to tell them that I am not happy with them, but I very rarely have to do that as they are very well behaved. If I shouted my crossbreed would cower and my Westie, who is as stubborn as a mule at times, just wouldn't listen! So there would no point whatsoever in shouting. The only time I shout is when calling them back when they are off the lead out on a walk and are a bit further away from me than I would like.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I don't have to shout at my dogs. I only have to change the tone of my voice to tell them that I am not happy with them, but I very rarely have to do that as they are very well behaved. If I shouted my crossbreed would cower and my Westie, who is as stubborn as a mule at times, just wouldn't listen! So there would no point whatsoever in shouting. The only time I shout is when calling them back when they are off the lead out on a walk and are a bit further away from me than I would like.
Lost me there a bit tbh
I was referring to the posters that said they use a tap or a slap to get the dogs attention as they don't respond to shouting.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Lost me there a bit tbh
I was referring to the posters that said they use a tap or a slap to get the dogs attention as they don't respond to shouting.
No problem. I know you were, I was just giving the details as to how my dogs would react if I shouted at them either to tell them off or for not responding to me when requested. Just like I have explained how my dogs would be if I "smacked" them. Hope this clarifies things for you a bit.
Mcpherson
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-04-2008, 10:27 AM
I certainly do not condone physical violence towards any living thing but (controversially - just like children) a very rare and in emergencies only, short, sharp tap is sometimes needed. Not a wallop but a little reminder.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by Mcpherson View Post
I certainly do not condone physical violence towards any living thing but (controversially - just like children) a very rare and in emergencies only, short, sharp tap is sometimes needed. Not a wallop but a little reminder.
Sorry, but I think you have contradicted yourself there a bit.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

27-04-2008, 10:41 AM
No problem. I know you were, I was just giving the details as to how my dogs would react if I shouted at them either to tell them off or for not responding to me when requested. Just like I have explained how my dogs would be if I "smacked" them. Hope this clarifies things for you a bit.
No not really, I must be dense this morning
I'm a bit lost as to why you quoted me as nowhere did I advocate shouting, quite the opposite, but still.
Fwiw my lot are pretty robust and respond in the way they have been trained to, which would be an "Oi" if their attention should wander. Obviously we all shout a recall unless we use a whistle, not much point recalling quietly
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2008, 11:44 AM
I'm a bit lost as to why you quoted me as nowhere did I advocate shouting, quite the opposite, but still.
Fwiw my lot are pretty robust and respond in the way they have been trained to, which would be an "Oi" if their attention should wander. Obviously we all shout a recall unless we use a whistle, not much point recalling quietly
I know you didn't advocate shouting. I was agreeing with you and backing my opinion with how I felt on the subject! I also meant to add that I agree with you also that dogs respond better to a calm (and consistant) handler. Sorry, perhaps I wasn't explaining myself very well, but I hope you understand what I mean now!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

27-04-2008, 11:47 AM
I know you didn't advocate shouting. I was agreeing with you and backing my opinion with how I felt on the subject! I also meant to add that I agree with you also that dogs respond better to a calm (and consistant) handler. Sorry, perhaps I wasn't explaining myself very well, but I hope you understand what I mean now!
Ok gotcha at last
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Actually, that is a bit obvious, isn't it?! I was just using this to clarify that I don't shout at my dogs.

I also occasionally use an "Oi" if my dogs minds wander when I want them to focus on me, it usually gets their attention.
Page 9 of 64 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 59 > Last »