Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
At least you have an excuse, hope it is on the mend

thanks, another 5 weeks in plaster though
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
Do you not accept that your dogs breeding means that he wants to chase things? You keep on saying he has a compulsive obsession but what does that mean in real terms?
As I have said, he wasn't BORN wanting to chase. He USED to be absolutely fine around livestock. This is a LEARNED behaviour brought about by the experiences he had. He shows no aggression towards sheep at all - when he chases them he doesn't show any drive to kill or hurt. He wants to play with them and behaves much in the same way as he does around other dogs in the park when he's off-lead. He gets over-excited in his 'play' and then ignores commands.
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by mozzy View Post
I do understand your dilemma, but I really think you should put the safety of your dog and the livestock first. You'll see from the top of my post what breed I own, and why I'm saying this...
I DO put the safety of my dog first!
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by sallyinlancs View Post
As I have said, he wasn't BORN wanting to chase. He USED to be absolutely fine around livestock. This is a LEARNED behaviour brought about by the experiences he had. He shows no aggression towards sheep at all - when he chases them he doesn't show any drive to kill or hurt. He wants to play with them and behaves much in the same way as he does around other dogs in the park when he's off-lead. He gets over-excited in his 'play' and then ignores commands.
as the example i gave with my staff earlier - that could change easily and like you say he never use to feel the urge to chase but he has learnt it, he may learn to become more aggressive.

That said, im sure you are trying your very best to do what will help both you and your dog and if it means planning for something that may never happen - that cant be irresponsible
mozzy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-06-2008, 11:58 AM
I DO put the safety of my dog first!
It's not coming across that way...

I do know a young NI that is walked off lead and yes he does chase sheep - the owner has been warned by the farmer but his (the owner's) response is 'he only wants to play with them'. A few weeks ago this dog was running around a field and knocking the sheep to the ground in 'play' before running off onto a road (we caught the dog before he was run over), he's a year old what happens when he's older he may not only want to play?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Many breeds though are NOT easy to train are they? High prey driven breeds like Huskies etc.. will be damned hard to train, your FCR will be relatively easy in that respect due to its biddable nature. I get cross because so many people moan when an owner has tried her best and gets slammed for using something that works, cant see the problem I really cant. I appreciate the "keeping on a lead" scenario, but what if the dog escapes?
Surely if he doesnt chase Sheep for fear of getting "zapped" as Patch says thats a good thing as far as the dog and the Sheep are concerned? I mean many Dogs are taught by aggressive Rams and Ewes that they arent to be messed with, same thing? Dog scared of Sheep, doesnt chase them for fear of being butted?
I have to say though, the FCR in question was nOT easy to train. He was highly distractable and his recall was poo. He wanted to go and see everything, bird, squirrel, small child, person, dog, cat...as soon as he saw something that was it and no amount of chicken, liver, toys, stupid voices and running away from him did the trick...I wouldn't say he was biddable. You're right a lot of FCRs are exceptionally biddable and easy to train as a result, the one at my feet is exactly that...but not all Flat coats....
It took a LOT of time and effort on my part, then on the part of someone else to get his recall as good as it now is.

I don't agree with zapping a dog just incase it escapes...you can't live your life on what ifs.

We haven't done this for a while Dawn, wish I had more time...it's fun!

Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
heres a question on that - would you get a breed that needs a lot of exercise - if you wasnt able to let it run off lead?
You can wear a dog out by getting it to use it's brain much more than you can by letting it go for a run around.
But it comes naturally to him to poo wherever he wants - I had to TRAIN him to get him to go outside. Just because a behaviour 'comes naturally' doesn't mean it's acceptable. Besides, as I said, he wasn't BORN wanting to chase sheep - he developed a compulsive obsession.
Dogs that are trained not to poo in a specific area (the house) by using painful or frightening methods, will often become worse through nerves.

What is his recall like around otgher dogs?
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-06-2008, 12:06 PM
My uncle has a sheep farm. A few years ago he had a collie that worked great with sheep up to a few 100 meters from my uncle. Once this point passed he would work fine but at one point he would go nipping the sheeps legs. Unacceptable behaviour. They tried everything for over a year and then he came to me. I gave him the e-collar so that the dog could wear it for a few weeks to get accustommed to it. few weeks later i returned and we set of to herd his sheep. distance over half a kilometer. I administerd 2 corrections. The first one lighter than the second. that was it. He never nicked a t the sheeps legs again.

Differnce between getting rid of a workingdog or having a great dog.

I find that the E-collar is a great tool that has to be used when necessary and in combination with other tools.

Every tool can be misused and some tools look more harsh than other but this isn't necessary the fact

greetings

Johan
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by mozzy View Post
It's not coming across that way...

I do know a young NI that is walked off lead and yes he does chase sheep - the owner has been warned by the farmer but his (the owner's) response is 'he only wants to play with them'. A few weeks ago this dog was running around a field and knocking the sheep to the ground in 'play' before running off onto a road (we caught the dog before he was run over), he's a year old what happens when he's older he may not only want to play?
I can only guess from this post that you have only read a few posts on this thread. If you read back you will find I keep my dog on-lead when we're anywhere near livestock. I appreciate it's a long thread but it does become tedious for me to keep repeating myself.
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I don't agree with zapping a dog just incase it escapes...you can't live your life on what ifs.

What is his recall like around otgher dogs?
I don't usually live my life around what ifs. However, as we are surrounded by livestock, my dog's life is at risk if I don't train him to respond to commands EVEN WHEN livestock are nearby. It may be an unlikely 'what if' but the consequences are HUGE.

His recall around other dogs is MUCH better than it was. It used to be pretty much non-existant. These days he will come back every time (sometimes not as quickly as I'd like). It helps that I have another dog now whose recall is fab and he seems to be picking up a thing or two.

I am going to repeat the last paragraph in the other thread as it is off-topic here.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 12:46 PM
So in answer to my question, you don't think your dogs breeding has any part in him chasing sheep
Page 57 of 64 « First < 7 47 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 > Last »